Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooooo,

I've tried 5 different Polar chargers. 1 only works. When it does work it is great.

Does anyone have this experience.

I love the pricing at Polar being a member but the hardware is taking the piss a bit and I can never get through on the phone.

#annoying when it could be so so good.

Rant over - what's your experience of Polar???

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,527 Posts
what's your experience of Polar???
Mine has been pretty good actually from a reliability standpoint - but that’s with checking ZapMap etc first and not visiting any that have iffy reviews in the recent past.

My main issue, and why I found myself using them less and less (despite having free charging with them) is the proliferation of single unit locations.

I just generally can’t be bothered with single unit locations and the anxiety (and danger) of having to check ZapMap on route and then pulling in and hoping someone hasn’t turned up since the last check.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I signed up for their free trial as part of our Cornwall holiday... I have no intentions of carrying that on. Here's my findings:

• Whilst Polar seemed more popular in the South, there's rather few Polar points around Cornwall, granted not a big deal for me - but I would likely not go out of my way to use a charge point because it's Polar...
  • Rapids are conveniently cheaper on Plus, but they always seem to be located in strange locations where ultimately destination charging would work better - like hotels, spas etc. Whilst the new BP Chargemaster points are changing this (only largely around the central part of the UK), it seems you would not usually come across a bank of chargers...
  • Their NOC / service centre knew a charger had no DC / Rapids on it for >15 days, yet did not think to investigate further, it was only when I called in to complain that only the AC worked that they scheduled an engineer to visit... Seems strange to me.
  • I used a free Polar point a few times in a supermarket - it was a very strange experience... After scanning your card, it would do some weird trick of asking if you first wanted 13A socket, then wait 20 seconds and scan your RFID card again to unlock the 7kW port... Why? Just felt unintuitive.
  • Aside the BP Chargermaster ABB units, they are not that fast, I would get a reliably faster charge from an InstaVolt vs. Polar Grey Touchscreen versions.
Really, I rarely need public charging, and if I do, I tend to prefer using PodPoint as the experience / reliability tends to work better for me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ive never had a problem to be honest. My membership pays for all my commuting as free polar points near work, and rapid charging is cheap

·
Registered
890 Posts
My Polar experience has been mixed, there are a few chargers in convenient locations for me but I've experienced quite a few touch screens not working and the occasional one that just doesn't work. Occasionally they have manged to restore them by doing a remote reset but not always. It's frustrating that they sometimes seem to take an age to repair them.

Polar's telephone support has definitely gone down hill since BP purchased them. It often takes ages before they answer the phone. The way they integrated contactless payment on them seems to be a bit clunky.

Owning a 43 kW charging ZOE, there are very few locations with more than one one charger that I can use so Polar's don't appear to be any worse than others. That will change with my next car as it's CCS. Since the end of July the number of 43kW chargers hasn't changed while there are 106 more CCS ones and 92 Chademo capable chargers. I suspect we've reached the peak number of AC rapid chargers.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,021 Posts
Owning a 43 kW charging ZOE, there are very few locations with more than one one charger that I can use so Polar's don't appear to be any worse than others. That will change with my next car as it's CCS. Since the end of July the number of 43kW chargers hasn't changed while there are 106 more CCS ones and 92 Chademo capable chargers. I suspect we've reached the peak number of AC rapid chargers.
6C7BF77E-3426-4C37-BA15-075AC05BEC8F.jpeg

Lovin’ the ZE50 Rapid Charge, lovin’ the BP High Power Chargers.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,922 Posts
Mine has been very mixed. I was thinking of getting rid of it as the same few chargers I tend to use always have issues with the screen not working or they reboot when you choose a connector. Same issues that have been present for YEARS without polar ever sorting them out. They also now seem to leave chargers broken for weeks on end.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The main rapid charger I did use locally has been down for nearly a year both CCS and CHAdeMO.....
It probably puts people off EV ownership seeing how unreliable the charging network is at present.

World EV News

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
101 Posts
Have had Polar Plus membership since March and my experience has been good. I rely totally on public charging and have only had one bad experience in that time - with a CYC in Weymouth which did have patchy reviews on Zap Map so I probably should have avoided it in hindsight. I use mostly Polar and Pod Point in a 50/50 mix whilst near home.

Although rapids are often only single units, they are cheap (15p) and often placed in hotels where you can pop in for a coffee and loo stop.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,021 Posts
they are cheap (15p) and often placed in hotels where you can pop in for a coffee
Taking into account hotel coffee prices...not so cheap then! ;)

Reactions: rikdud

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
101 Posts
£3.49 for coffee and tonic water yesterday, brought to our table in the garden, under the sun shade, near the pool.

But, yes, often not as good a deal as this was.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also had a lot more negative experiences with Polar recently.

Also, is it just me or is the live availability of Polar down at the moment?
1. Zap-Map doesn't show live availability for any Polar chargers.
2. Polar Plus iPhone app doesn't display any chargers
3. Polar webpage doesn't show any chargers at the moment: Live Map - Polar Plus

Pretty poor for a system that could leave people stranded if they can't get a charge.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has the BP Chargemaster app also replaced the Polar Plus one as well as Polar Instant? - could this be the reason.
I only found out Polar Instant had been replaced when I rang up as the the screen was hanging on the spinning disk - new app does work well and now shows past charges (it did not at first).

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sooooooo,

I've tried 5 different Polar chargers. 1 only works. When it does work it is great.

I love the pricing at Polar being a member but the hardware is taking the piss a bit and I can never get through on the phone.

I'd tell them directly in writing. If you are paying for membership you deserve a response. If you have a Twitter account contact them by that method.

They are one of the better networks imo, maybe a step below InstaVolt. Their rapid chargers have usually been pretty reliable for me, and most are contactless payment now.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,922 Posts
There was a network outage with Polar today. It was on the twitter feed for BP chargemaster.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,527 Posts
Sooooooo,

I tried supporting them in the 'early years' and was a due diligent user, reporting issues before they were failures, asking them to improve their systems and live information and ....

.., they just got worse and worse and worse.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Used only my second Polar rapid charger last week, it connect just fine then got to about 80% and the screen displayed a "Translation" error message and stopped the charge - fantastic !.
Some members have said that when this happens, you will not billed for the charge.
Well, I received my statement yesterday and YEP ! - I was billed for the charge !.
Could have restarted the unit I guess, but at 80% we where good to go, so no major drama's.
Needed to make a very unexpected trip and needed a charge quickly.
Grabbed roughly about a hundred miles of range in about 30 ish mins, so happy with that.
I think the bill was about £2.50 ????.
More expensive than charging at home of course, but you could not travel roughly 100 miles in an ICE for £2.50 that's for sure !.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Used only my second Polar rapid charger last week, it connect just fine then got to about 80% and the screen displayed a "Translation" error message and stopped the charge - fantastic !.
Some members have said that when this happens, you will not billed for the charge.
Well, I received my statement yesterday and YEP ! - I was billed for the charge !.
Could have restarted the unit I guess, but at 80% we where good to go, so no major drama's.
Needed to make a very unexpected trip and needed a charge quickly.
Grabbed roughly about a hundred miles of range in about 30 ish mins, so happy with that.
I think the bill was about £2.50 ????.
More expensive than charging at home of course, but you could not travel roughly 100 miles in an ICE for £2.50 that's for sure !.
Golf GTE?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just downloaded the BP Chargemaster app and spotted price for Instant is now 30p kWh in line with other charging companies For 50 kw chargers 40p at ultra rapids.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts