1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hehe....current.....hehehe.

Sorry.

Anyway:

I have some stats to report on the subject of heating.

Can't be compared directly as the temps were quite different, just for illustrative purposes.

Both journeys had same driving style, same traffic etc.

Yesterday into work -
Temp outside approx 4 degrees.
Heating not used at all at any point (purposely).
Battery used: 12%.
Efficiency readout 4.2 m/kWh.

This morning:
Temp outside approx -3
Heating on all the time.
Battery used: 26%.
2.4 m/kWh

So, quite a difference.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is weird, I have a totally different experience to yours.
After spending most of my adult life in Western Australia, I really feel the cold.
So I use the MyLeaf third-party app. to warm the car up before I get in, the a/c set to 30deg, heated seats on max and steering wheel heater on for at least ten minutes before I get in.
When I have the lovely Jane with me, I have to switch it all off and grab an extra coat because the lovely Jane has no concept of hot or cold temperatures, she does not feel cold on a -10 degree morning in the UK, and is never hot on a 42 deg day in Perth and switches off the air-conditioners.

So when the heating is all off, there is about a 5 mile difference in the guess-o-meter showing, a far cry from your almost 50%.
I haven't checked the actual % battery used or the efficiency I didn't feel the need to bother as the difference is so slight for me on the range.
I'll check it out on LeafSpy Pro and let you know.

Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes I always run the A/C which is a heat exchanger. I believe the basic heater only comes on with the A/C off, that is the way it works on most vehicles, maybe the Leaf works differently, but I very much doubt it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When i put the heating on (manually, when driving), i always put the front demister on, which in my car automatically puts the HEAT and AC buttons on too.

I'm sure this probably isn't the most efficient way to do things....but when you need to clear the screen quickly, it works the best.

I do notice that the power useage (on the energy usage screen) seems to go UP when you turn the AC off (and leave heat on)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes I always run the A/C which is a heat exchanger. I believe the basic heater only comes on with the A/C off, that is the way it works on most vehicles, maybe the Leaf works differently, but I very much doubt it.
Early model leaf came with a resistive heater which really loaded the battery. Later versions (of the same model) came with a heat pump which was far more economical on battery use.

This is not related to air conditioning but just heating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts