Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Passat GTE since 2 months, which has 3 modes apart from GTE: Electric, Hybrid and Battery Charge

While in Hybrid mode I have noticed that it's not eficcient at all. For example I leave home with 80% battery charge and the car is barely using electric power and is even charging in flat sections with the ICE. In a 60km trip to my village the electric range only dropped by 1km. In the way back I had to manually change between hybrid to to electric mode in flat sections to get a good mpg and I still arrived home with 20% battery. Shouldn't the car do that by itself?

My guessing is that my car has some kind of sw error and my 'Hybrid' mode is behaving as 'Battery Hold'
Is there something I can do here? Maybe is because I upgraded the infotainment unit sw? (Discover media pro)

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Different versions of the GTE have different modes available.

They started with Electric, GTE, Hybrid Auto, Hybrid Hold and Battery Charge ("5 mode")

They changed to Electric, GTE, Hybrid and Battery Charge ("4 mode")

Then they went back to Electric, GTE, Hybrid Auto, Hybrid Hold and Battery Charge ("5 mode")

Now they have Electric, GTE, Hybrid and some up/down/equal buttons to select battery charge, battery reserve or battery hold

If you have the "4 mode" version, then I believe that "Hybrid" behaves as "Hybrid Hold". I think the target is for the battery level stay within 1/8th of the held percentage level, so you basically have a big Prius. "Hybrid Auto" (or "Hybrid" without using any of the arrows in the newer cars) is the one that can run the battery down fully, which it sounds like your car might not have.

There's a few threads about it on the forums, worth having a look around as many people smarter than I have explained it better than I can. Here's one example:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts