Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don’t use it often but I am wanting my i drive to display charge points. Using the the menu I get fuel but this is all the local ICE fuel stations. What is the best way to find Charge Points on the system?

·
Registered
628 Posts
May I suggest using the WattsUp app instead?

Our new feature, Discovery Mode for Android, provides a realtime map which will show nearby rapid chargers and with live status!

(COI: Developed by us)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
May I suggest using the WattsUp app instead?

Our new feature, Discovery Mode for Android, provides a realtime map which will show nearby rapid chargers and with live status!

(COI: Developed by us)
Is it available on Apple IOS? It would need to be visible through CarPlay?

I have multiple maps like ZapMap etc but need something that displays on the idrive system in the car so can access without picking up my phone. Either by CarPlay or idrive.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Have a look at this video:

Not all the available charging stations are included in the database. It’s a BMW thing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a look at this video:

Not all the available charging stations are included in the database. It’s a BMW thing.
Many thanks, thought there must be a simple way. Is it possible to display the Charge Points permanently on the map as a POI?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
They appear on my map. Try going to the Nav Screen; tilt the iDrive controller to the left and then scroll down the side menu. It is a while since I looked but I think that there is a tick box.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
The 2015 i3 has a slightly different version but the principles of operation haven’t changed. My. 2015 i3 professional nav map displayed changing points.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK sorted: - So for 2019 model you do this -
From idrive menu select “Navigation” then scroll to “Settings”. Then select “Map elements”. Then “Points of Interest”, then “Car”, then click “selected” box, then scroll and click “charge points”.
Then in Map view, go to left bar, select “Additional Information” and click “Points of Interest” box. Charge Points now are displayed on map.

Then get out of car make a cup of tea or bang head against wall while marvelling at BMW logic.?‍♂

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Your BMW Genius is supposed to go through this level of detail at vehicle handover. When I bought my present i3, I had the pleasure of sitting with a pretty young sales lady for 30 minutes showing her how to set up various things like mirror tilt; speed signs; map views etc. She let on that she was still waiting for her Genius course. My wife was not impressed as they had run out of decaf coffee.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Is it available on Apple IOS? It would need to be visible through CarPlay?

I have multiple maps like ZapMap etc but need something that displays on the idrive system in the car so can access without picking up my phone. Either by CarPlay or idrive.
WattsUp is available for iOS. Discovery Mode for Apple devices is coming soon.

Unfortunately, Apple has not opened up CarPlay navigation to third parties beyond Google and Waze. Availability via CarPlay is something we would like to see and it's a real shame that it can't yet be offered.

To give you an idea of how it looks in-car (Tesla, not i3) using a phone holder:

And a short video clip of Discovery Mode in action:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Your BMW Genius is supposed to go through this level of detail at vehicle handover. When I bought my present i3, I had the pleasure of sitting with a pretty young sales lady for 30 minutes showing her how to set up various things like mirror tilt; speed signs; map views etc. She let on that she was still waiting for her Genius course. My wife was not impressed as they had run out of decaf coffee.
Speed signs? Can you show speed limits on the SatNav?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
You can't unless your Car includes the Driving Assistant Plus Option: ACC with Stop/Go; City Collision mitigation; Forward Collision Warning; Preventative Pedestrian Protection; SPEED LIMIT DISPLAY, and Traffic Jam Assist.

Speed Limit signs appear on the main display screen not the Sat Nav. Speed signs are picked up by the forward looking camera.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts