Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going away this weekend, and thought I would ensure my Polar card is working ok, drove a mile to the nearest Rapid point, plugged in, it imported 0.6kWh and then the Bluelink app told me that the charging was complete as scheduled.

Naturally I opened the Bluelink app and there are no schedules set - I have never set one, and I am the only owner...

I ended the session as nothing had happened for 3 minutes, plugged it in again, and something (I think the car) refused to start a new session.

I drove a mile home, plugged in, pressed boost on my Smart Charger and it's apparently boosting at 6.8kWh. The energy used is still showing 0kWh, although it says it's been boosting at 6.7/6.8kWh for 12 minutes now. Cost is also showing as 0.

I'm now concerned about doing a 160 mile journey if the car isn't going to take any charge, particularly at Rapidcharging points. I'll not be a popular person to have convinced my wife that everything EV is fine, and then get stuck with no fuel in the middle of nowhere on her birthday...

Anybody know why the Bluelink app said that the charge was completed as scheduled?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I've just checked the dash in the car, and my home charger IS charging the car. It's delivering 6.9/7kWh and due to charge in an hour.

Seems to be the rapid is likely the culprit, but would the Polar Unit send a signal to the BlueLink app to say a scheduled charge is complete?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was at 82% when I started the charge, and 83% when it ended.

I tried to charge again, but the car/charger wouldn't start a new session. One clearly has an issue with the other.

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
110 Posts
I was at 82% when I started the charge, and 83% when it ended.

I tried to charge again, but the car/charger wouldn't start a new session. One clearly has an issue with the other.
I do like Polar chargers, but I have had issues with them, so it probably is the charger. Can’t help with BlueLink unfortunately as mine is the previous model. For what it’s worth I have never had issues with Pod-Point, Instavolt and Engenie if you have any nearby albeit all more money than Polar....

·
Registered
612 Posts
Update: I've just checked the dash in the car, and my home charger IS charging the car. It's delivering 6.9/7kWh and due to charge in an hour.

Seems to be the rapid is likely the culprit, but would the Polar Unit send a signal to the BlueLink app to say a scheduled charge is complete?
No, but the app would get that information from the car. I'd confirm that you definitely haven't got scheduling turned on in the menus on the car, and also confirm the DC charge limit level.

If it is set to 80% it won't ever start.

Initiating a rapid DC charge at 80% SoC and above is probably best avoided on a regular basis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've yet to rapid charge my car after having it 4 months. What I can say is, that I have found charge scheduling via the app to be very hit and miss. Using the charging menu settings in the car is more reliable but even then it doesn't always do what you think it is going to do. I've had the opposite problem where my car started charging at home during peak rates when I'd set it to charge overnight. Guess some of this is just software bugs that need to be ironed out in a future update.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
In another thread the Polar access systems were discussed. I was trying to find out how many of their Rapids were now converted to contactless card access and payment. A couple of replies indicated that the app 'instant' access system was not working and they had to revert to contactless card to get a charge. It looks like Polar + subscription works OK and touch card works but the app is giving trouble. Perhaps that was your experience too and that using an RFID bank card would work better.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did use the RFID card, and yes, I am aware that rapid charging at >80% isn't good - it was purely a test to ensure that the Polar card was working OK before I go away (to Wales where we all know it's a bit of a dead zone for Rapids)

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
I did use the RFID card..............
Yes. But did you try a normal Credit or Debit contactless bank card using Polars new non-member ad-hoc access and payment system on Rapids? People say that it works seamlessly. Although on some machines it is slightly fiddly requiring two separate 'touch' places. One to start the process and a different one to cover the payment.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I did use the RFID card, and yes, I am aware that rapid charging at >80% isn't good - it was purely a test to ensure that the Polar card was working OK before I go away (to Wales where we all know it's a bit of a dead zone for Rapids)
My bet goes on your upper charge limit is set to 80% for DC in the car settings.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've yet to rapid charge my car after having it 4 months. What I can say is, that I have found charge scheduling via the app to be very hit and miss. Using the charging menu settings in the car is more reliable but even then it doesn't always do what you think it is going to do. I've had the opposite problem where my car started charging at home during peak rates when I'd set it to charge overnight. Guess some of this is just software bugs that need to be ironed out in a future update.
I was a little confused about it at first, but it actually works 100% as intended.

If you set a schedule, say for departure at 6.00am tomorrow and then plug in the night before it will immediately start charging. That's by design. It won't work out that it can start at say 2.00am and then wait until then.

If you want it to wait you have to use the off peak time limits and set, say 2.00am-6.00am and ensure that Off Peak ONLY is set. The default is 'preferred'. If you have it set to the default it will almost always start immediately.

Also, if you adjust the schedule on the app whilst you've plugged it in, it won't interrupt itself to stop the charge and delay it until your new setting, I find you have to unplug it first, set the new schedule, send it to the car and then plug in.

Also, always hit the refresh button to confirm the status is "Scheduled" rather than charging, once you've set everything up.

·
Registered
556 Posts
In another thread the Polar access systems were discussed. I was trying to find out how many of their Rapids were now converted to contactless card access and payment. A couple of replies indicated that the app 'instant' access system was not working and they had to revert to contactless card to get a charge. It looks like Polar + subscription works OK and touch card works but the app is giving trouble. Perhaps that was your experience too and that using an RFID bank card would work better.
I've had trouble with Polar Instant - I called the helpline and they explained the secret process for making it work. You need to start the charge with the app to the point where it says it's waiting for input from you...the charger screen won't say anything helpful at all...however, if you then tap the option to use a Polar Plus access card it will say "card recognised" and allow you to start the charge!

I have no idea why it's such a performance, and neither did the helpline guy I spoke to. No wonder EV uptake is slower than we'd like in this country.

Reactions: Krafty and GMat

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've had trouble with Polar Instant - I called the helpline and they explained the secret process for making it work. You need to start the charge with the app to the point where it says it's waiting for input from you...the charger screen won't say anything helpful at all...however, if you then tap the option to use a Polar Plus access card it will say "card recognised" and allow you to start the charge!

I have no idea why it's such a performance, and neither did the helpline guy I spoke to. No wonder EV uptake is slower than we'd like in this country.
If it was a rapid and you don't have subscription easier to use contactless payment.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My bet goes on your upper charge limit is set to 80% for DC in the car settings.
How would I check this? I can't see anything in the app.

Car is currently charging at the moment on the polar at my destination, and has added 15% from 25 to 40, so I guess I'll find out in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
612 Posts
How would I check this? I can't see anything in the app.

Car is currently charging at the moment on the polar at my destination, and has added 15% from 25 to 40, so I guess I'll find out in 30 minutes.
It isn't in the app. It's in the car menu. Go to the EV menu and the schedule options/charge management.

It probably should be in the app though. Hyundai need to add a lot.

If you are planning on a longer trip and travelling on from a rapid charge, going above 80% is also going to be slow. It will throttle down to under 20kw much after 80, so quicker to stop and drive on.

·
Registered
263 Posts
In my experience the 38kwh drops to 22kw at 75% and is probably a good time to leave unless you need some extra mileage. Unfortunately the DC charge menu in the car has only 10% increments so you can't set 75%.

·
Registered
556 Posts
...but 5p/kWh more expensive. 25p Instant plays 30p contactless, at least at the chargers I've seen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts