Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me old-fashioned if you will but I absolutely loathe the idea of travelling anywhere without a full size spare wheel.

The bottle of gloop supplied with the car is a disaster waiting to happen : its use converts what might have been a £10 puncture repair into a replacement tyre that you might find for £75 if you shop around but if fitted by a tyre company called out to you on a motorway is going to be well over £100.

The so-called 'spacesaver' wheel isn't a lot better. If you should ever use it, you're limited to doing 50 miles at no more than 50mph (and after the first couple of miles you'll probably decide even 50 is too fast. And just why is it called a spacesaver ? If you have a puncture and fit the toy wheel, what do you do with the damaged one ? Put in the boot - hence needing to leave enough room for it and cancelling any 'spacesaving'. Leave it at the side of the road and hope nobody pinches it before you can get home, empty boot and return for it (assuming home & back is within 50 miles !).

Nissan offer a "spare wheel" - but it's a toy one ! Moreover, their "from £170" includes a cradle to be fitted underneath boot and I wouldn't be able to negotiate the track between my house and the main road with anything extra fitted there.

But I have found a solution - a full size spare for a lot less than £170. Not an alloy like the original equipment - Nissan want £121 + vat for one of them and then there's a tyre to fit to it. Not even the official steel wheel as used on the Visia model (£69.36 + vat + tyre).

I found this one on ebay for £126 :-
steel wheels NISSAN LEAF ZE0 205/55 R16 91V Michelin summer | eBay

However when I tried to order it (and I'm sure it was a bit less than that last week) they had none in stock and were obliged by eBay rules to cancel the order. But I then ordered the same wheel with a Dunlop tyre for £108.37. Another £21 for a jack :-
Nissan Leaf Universal Sumex Scissor Floor Jack 1.5 Tonne | eBay
plus using a few tools of my own in lieu of a wheelbrace and I've got an acceptable spare for under £130.

There is the slight snag of how to carry it about ! FTTB, it's lying flat on the boot floor leaving room alongside it for a couple of cardboard boxes containing jack etc plus both charging leads. I may consider a sheet of plywood above that to form a 'false floor' leaving plenty of room above it for normal luggage.

Should we have need for a lot of luggage space, it will be possible to remove the parcel shelf and slot it into the space between back of driver's seat and the folded down platform of the 40% of rear seat. Tyre would then stand vertically at left hand side of boot and be wedged there with luggage.

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still got plenty of room for a high vis vest and a traffic cone or two :)
You shouldn't need either. If you're stopped in a place where it's unsafe to work, the Nissan recovery scheme would take you to a safe place (e.g. service area if on a motorway or quiet side street elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Never had a problem removing wheel nuts before, but WTF would you want a full size wheel in your boot the whole time taking up valuable space and adding all that weight?
You wouldn't if you're tootling around near home or it's a sensible route with good mobile coverage. Personally I try to keep a spare wheel / tyre in the garage that will fit the car and only chuck it in the boot if I'm going off piste. Being stuck 20 miles from nowhere on a B road in winter in an area with zero mobile coverage is not a plan. I once had to walk a pitch black road for a mile or so before knocking on a door in the middle of nowhere. I scared the poor elderly occupants witless and was just as concerned that I might be about to embark on a B movie horror script!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You wouldn't if you're tootling around near home or it's a sensible route with good mobile coverage. Personally I try to keep a spare wheel / tyre in the garage that will fit the car and only chuck it in the boot if I'm going off piste. Being stuck 20 miles from nowhere on a B road in winter in an area with zero mobile coverage is not a plan. I once had to walk a pitch black road for a mile or so before knocking on a door in the middle of nowhere. I scared the poor elderly occupants witless and was just as concerned that I might be about to embark on a B movie horror script!
I'm sure I'd adopt a similar approach when only a few miles from home. However, I'm preparing for a trip down to Hampshire, across to Somerset & back home. Some of that might well take place at night. I want to be sure that if I should break down, I can continue that journey and in particular if I suffer a puncture, I'll be able to carry on rather than seeking out an (unbooked) hotel for a night or two.

As for the people who are throwing up their hands in horror at "all that weight" , I'm adding something like 10 Kgs (just possibly 20 but I think I might have had problems picking it up & carrying downstairs if it was much more) to a car that's weighing around a tonne and a half. Call it 30Kgs to make arithmetic easier : 30 Kgs in 1500 is twenty in 1000 or around 2%. I really don't think I'll notice a less than 2% drop in performance or increase in cost per mile.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The last time I had a puncture two tyres were affected. Mind you, I was driving my modified Freelander on Strata Florida in Wales and a rock under water ripped the side wall of one tyre and put a slow puncture in the other. I wasn’t happy as the tyres were only a week old!!
Full sized spare replaced the rip in sidewall, and stopped several times to pump up the other on the way home... that’s where I discovered that it would wade 750mm deep... having modified the breathers for the gearbox & diffs. Impressive for a little old Freelander 1. In fact it impressed everyone on that trip. Shame I had to sell it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thought that it could be 20k miles until it's needed only to find the factory fitted wheels are too tight to actually remove at the road side.
I'm pretty confident that the 'wheel brace' I'll be carrying is a lot more effective than the Mickey Mouse efforts that most manufacturers provide. But if I really got stuck I'd be able to call out the Nissan rescue service.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The last time I had a puncture two tyres were affected.
My last (or actually OH's !) resulted from simply kerbing a tyre causing a split in sidewall. No way that would have been helped by a bottle of gloop ! But after I'd driven out to pick her up in our other car I was able to put spare on and drive home then wait a day or two until my new tyre had arrived at local fitter.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
My last (or actually OH's !) resulted from simply kerbing a tyre causing a split in sidewall. No way that would have been helped by a bottle of gloop ! But after I'd driven out to pick her up in our other car I was able to put spare on and drive home then wait a day or two until my new tyre had arrived at local fitter.
Whereas I was on a green lane in West Wales where the RAC or whoever would not come to :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm sure if you weigh up the probability of a puncture vs. Weight of a full size wheel over a space saver then factor in the extra cost of all those naughty garages lining up to liberate your wallet from those hard earned sheckles as you navigate those puncture inducing highways with 59 miles betwixt said heinous establishment...... The answer still comes up as "bonkers" to lose boot space and efficiency holding a grubby full size wheel.

But hey what do I know? I only drive 30000 miles a year on roads ranging from nice clean motorways to dirt tracks and building sites (riddled with nails and screws chucked on the ground). :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
You shouldn't need either. If you're stopped in a place where it's unsafe to work, the Nissan recovery scheme would take you to a safe place (e.g. service area if on a motorway or quiet side street elsewhere.
That was my point; you shouldn't need it. If I was doing the Paris Dakar rally then I'd want more than one good spare, but probably be more worried about finding suitable charging! For a city car then a bottle of gloop is all you need.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That was my point; you shouldn't need it. If I was doing the Paris Dakar rally then I'd want more than one good spare, but probably be more worried about finding suitable charging! For a city car then a bottle of gloop is all you need.
Eric's point on the goop is very valid. If you're (un)lucky enough to get a puncture that it can work on, the you can't repair the puncture and have to fork out for a new tyre. With a spare you have 15 minutes ball ache at the roadside and can sort out a solution in your own time.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I wouldn’t intentionally own a car without a spare (retro-fitted one to a TT once) but the skinny space saver is more than adequate IMO.

Having it under the car is far from ideal but at least it doesn’t take up most of the useable space in the boot.

My step son used a skinny space saver on his BMW for about a month without issue, far from ideal or recommended but it can be done if needs be.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you haven't got a spare, then all you can expect from a recovery service is to take you to a tyre dealer (or a safer place where you can wait for a mobile tyre repairer to come to you) to do a puncture repair. If the tyre is beyond repair you may have to wait there for a day or two if there isn't a suitable replacement in stock. If you choose to have your puncture at 1am, you'll have problems finding a tyre dealer open for at least 6 hours.

I agree that the gloop will let you drive (a short distance !) for a proper repair. I've yet to hear of a tyre dealer who will do a puncture repair on a tyre that's been filled with gloop so that means another wait for a new tyre.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
. . . would you want a full size wheel in your boot the whole time taking up valuable space and adding all that weight?
Let's dispose of the "adding all that weight" theory. My new, full size, steel wheel & tyre weigh 17kg. I haven't got a real Leaf 'spacesaver'[sic] but do have very similar ones from a Volvo V50 & Ford C-Max (which are actually fully compatible with each other) and each weigh 12kg. I think it pretty safe to assume that Nissan's offering would be about the same but if you have a steel cradle under the boot that's probably adding almost another kilogramme

My 'weight penalty' is therefore rather less than 5kg. As for 'valuable space', even with the tyre taking up maximum space, there remains far more volume than ever I had with the e-Up! - and most of the time that was unused anyway.

In another post, Dan mentioned "a grubby full size wheel". At the moment my spare is as 'ungrubby' as you could imagine and I hope it stays that way for several years. If I have to change it, the punctured one will of course be grubby but adding a new bin liner to the breakdown kit will add less than 100gms. Anyone thinking they can avoid that by carrying a toy spare slung under the boot could be in for a nasty shock - I doubt a full size alloy is going to fit in the cradle.

I have come up with an alternative placement of the spare. See attached photos. Parcel shelf almost fits (n/s clip is pushed just out of connection but closed door holds it OK) but can be relocated behind driver's seat as I suggested earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
When I had a full size winter wheel in my Yeti, that was where it was located. The Yeti came with (I paid extra for) a full size ‘mini’ spare wheel which was located in the well as per your previous photos @EricM but had polystyrene fillers and a false floor which made the boot level.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts