Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salford Royal Hospital Car Park, a rapid charger that takes CYC cards! What a find. A car in position when I arrived but the driver was sitting in reading a paper so I thought it worth waiting. Sure enough, just 5 minutes later he unhooked and left. Packed spaces around the charge point so I reversed down the line of parked cars and reversed in. The tethered cables were on the right hand side of the unit, even though the single space was to its left. As the charge points on the PHEV are on the offside, the cable was no way long enough to stretch. Back on the car, drove back down the line of cars, turned around and drove back to get in front first. Drove as close as I could without mounting the kerb but still nowhere near getting the cable to stretch. As you can see from the pic, the only possible way for the cable to reach is by parking in the adjacent space - which was reserved for permit holders in non EV vehicles!

Is this just bad luck (what Louis Van Gaal calls the Law of Murphy) or quite common? Is it only Mitsubishi who put the charge points on that side of the car, so we're the only ones with this problem?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Mode of transport

·
Registered
634 Posts
Salford Royal Hospital Car Park, a rapid charger that takes CYC cards! What a find. A car in position when I arrived but the driver was sitting in reading a paper so I thought it worth waiting. Sure enough, just 5 minutes later he unhooked and left. Packed spaces around the charge point so I reversed down the line of parked cars and reversed in. The tethered cables were on the right hand side of the unit, even though the single space was to its left. As the charge points on the PHEV are on the offside, the cable was no way long enough to stretch. Back on the car, drove back down the line of cars, turned around and drove back to get in front first. Drove as close as I could without mounting the kerb but still nowhere near getting the cable to stretch. As you can see from the pic, the only possible way for the cable to reach is by parking in the adjacent space - which was reserved for permit holders in non EV vehicles!

Is this just bad luck (what Louis Van Gaal calls the Law of Murphy) or quite common? Is it only Mitsubishi who put the charge points on that side of the car, so we're the only ones with this problem? View attachment 9761
This arrangement is quite normal and often the rapid is more centred on the dividing line between the two bays. (See the photo of the ikea rapid at metro centre below). You should have been just able to get the tethered DC cable chaedamo to engage unless for some reason this particular unit has a shortened cable. I havn't used it so don't know for certain whether it can done but could you not have got the cable over the top of your car. Have you had your PHEV long and used it on other Rapids.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This arrangement is quite normal and often the rapid is more centred on the dividing line between the two bays. (See the photo of the ikea rapid at metro centre below). You should have been just able to get the tethered DC cable chaedamo to engage unless for some reason this particular unit has a shortened cable. I havn't used it so don't know for certain whether it can done but could you not have got the cable over the top of your car. Have you had your PHEV long and used it on other Rapids.
Hi Casper. I'm a complete novice at this and only had the car a few weeks. But another EV driver had the same problem. The cable isn't long enough for the space they've allocated. Would fit easily if able to reverse into the adjacent space. I've been to an Ecotricity site at IKEA and the 4 bay complex had complete flexibility. I think this single space at Stott Lane is just in the wrong place. But I'm a newbee so happy to be told if I'm doing something wrong?!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well I asked whether you were a newbie to rapid charging the outlander because it is quite difficult even when you are used to it ( and also because it takes quite a nerve on this forum for a PHEV owner to admit to try to use a rapid). There is a fair bit of banter goes on about this so you will have to develop a fairly thick skin. I enclose this link to a thread about this which also explains the difficulties and shortness of DC cables
( Squeeze at Gloucester Services South)
You will find though that the the DC cable is invariably on the right hand side of the rapids as you face them and if there is only it will be sited centred between two EV bays. If the right hand bay is occupied then you will need to reverse in hard up to the car parked, which if it is a BEV you will only be blocking the passenger side doors and if an ICE which shouldn't be there, who cares. If it's another Outlander owner they will understand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I asked whether you were a newbie to rapid charging the outlander because it is quite difficult even when you are used to it ( and also because it takes quite a nerve on this forum for a PHEV owner to admit to try to use a rapid). There is a fair bit of banter goes on about this so you will have to develop a fairly thick skin. I enclose this link to a thread about this which also explains the difficulties and shortness of DC cables
( Squeeze at Gloucester Services South)
You will find though that the the DC cable is invariably on the right hand side of the rapids as you face them and if there is only it will be sited centred between two EV bays. If the right hand bay is occupied then you will need to reverse in hard up to the car parked, which if it is a BEV you will only be blocking the passenger side doors and if an ICE which shouldn't be there, who cares. If it's another Outlander owner they will understand.
Thanks Casper for the heads up about being a newbie PHEV driver. Sounds like a double whammie! The point here though is that this is NOT a double EV bay. There's only one. The bay on the right (where the EV bay should be) is a member of hospital staff with a permit for the space driving a non EV. But your advice generally is most welcome. Thanks. This is certainly a rapid learning curve!

·
Registered
55 Posts
These units are very different to the Ecotricity chargers and are usually enabled to supply electricity to both AC and DC outputs at the same time. The manual for these says that they can be installed either way, cables facing out or to the side.

The screen side can be accessed by the driver whatever the rotation but the cables have to access the car, so putting the charger in front of two bays screen side on is a triumph of style over substance. The Chademo outlet is the nearest cable to the bay so if this does not reach for Outlanders I can't see how i3s or Teslas will manage. They need to reinstall this with the cables to the front. And reallocate the 'permit holders' bay while they are at it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks Casper for the heads up about being a newbie PHEV driver. Sounds like a double whammie! The point here though is that this is NOT a double EV bay. There's only one. The bay on the right (where the EV bay should be) is a member of hospital staff with a permit for the space driving a non EV. But your advice generally is most welcome. Thanks. This is certainly a rapid learning curve!
If this is a rapid that you really would like to use regularly I would give it another go getting as close to the line as possible and take a photo of the tethered cable stretched not making or possibly just making the connection. Either way you use that to demonstrate to the hospital Sustainability/Estates manager that the current EV bay does not work satisfactorily with the UK's top selling EV and suggest the the two bays be swapped. You might add that the new arrangement would still work with all/most other EVs. Email your photo to demonstrate the problem. If I'm ever over at Salford I'll give it a go myself but I wonder whether any other outlander owner on here has tried it.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Surely it would make sense that if they are going to allocate a bay the cable should be long enough to reach anywhere in that bay? Why would they make it shorter? I sometimes wonder about the thinking (lack thereof) that goes into things like this. This is basic common sense that anyone could see coming a mile off.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
Tesla S would have the same problem. For once I am lucky in that I can only afford a Leaf. ;)
I would have thought it perfect for a Model S as the port lives on the rear on the passenger side.
Also perfect in a leaf or zoe, or imiev, just bad for the outlander..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts