Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pod point home charger!

A week to the day after taking delivery of my new E-Niro, my pod point has completed died. The pod point is 4 years old and had been used during that time to charge my car, an Outlander PHEV without any problems at all.

Over the last week has charged my e-niro fine, e-niro display showing it was getting 6.7kw from it during charging. But today nothing, no lights from the pod point. After a 25 minute period on hold to pod point, and subsequent 20 minute discussion, they have arranged an engineer (at a cost to me of £190) to visit. Two weeks today. Luckily the car was fully charged when the pod point died and i don't have any major trips just local stuff, so the range should be fine for the next fortnight.

While it could be pure coincidence, seems odd that the pod point died so soon after getting the e-niro. I would think the e-niro would have placed more demand on it than the outlander and being 4 years old it gave in. Sigh.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My pod point home charger!

A week to the day after taking delivery of my new E-Niro, my pod point has completed died. The pod point is 4 years old and had been used during that time to charge my car, an Outlander PHEV without any problems at all.

Over the last week has charged my e-niro fine, e-niro display showing it was getting 6.7kw from it during charging. But today nothing, no lights from the pod point. After a 25 minute period on hold to pod point, and subsequent 20 minute discussion, they have arranged an engineer (at a cost to me of £190) to visit. Two weeks today. Luckily the car was fully charged when the pod point died and i don't have any major trips just local stuff, so the range should be fine for the next fortnight.

While it could be pure coincidence, seems odd that the pod point died so soon after getting the e-niro. I would think the e-niro would have placed more demand on it than the outlander and being 4 years old it gave in. Sigh.
I had a similar problem when I changed from a VW Passat GTE to an e-Niro. The problem was a faulty circuit breaker for the charger in the electrical cupboard. Reducing the charging rate in the e-Niro temporarily solved the problem and a replacement circuit breaker solved it altogether. Check that your circuit breaker has not tripped.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a kit-built charger, and after 6 years it quit. I used a replacement board from the OpenEVSE people and brought it back to life for $60.

I added an LCD display so I can configure max charging current, etc.

some reference stuff:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar problem when I changed from a VW Passat GTE to an e-Niro. The problem was a faulty circuit breaker for the charger in the electrical cupboard. Reducing the charging rate in the e-Niro temporarily solved the problem and a replacement circuit breaker solved it altogether. Check that your circuit breaker has not tripped.
Thank you for writing and the advice.

I did wonder about the circuit breaker. Pod point installed a specific one just for the charger and I did move the little lever on it up and down yesterday to see if had tripped. No luck. However as you say maybe the breaker has become faulty entirely and that fault has been exposed by the charge rate. Hadn’t realised I can actually set the Kia to charge at a lower rate! (Although not surprised - seems to be a setting for just about anything!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a kit-built charger, and after 6 years it quit. I used a replacement board from the OpenEVSE people and brought it back to life for $60.

I added an LCD display so I can configure max charging current, etc.

some reference stuff:
Thank you. I will have a read.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts