Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As from 8th December 2020 we can fit the new EV number plate for zero omissions vehicles in the U.K. I contacted my dealership who kindly sent me a set in the post free of charge. Just fitted today to my i3s. Feeling smug ;)

Hopefully local authority will allow me to use bus lanes and park for free as this is currently being discussed and I am sure it will further confuse those I leave standing at traffic lights when in sport mode:)

Think car needs a clean however looking at these photos:eek:

Green Number Plates are now available on online number plate supply sites it seems with 3D and 4D (?) fonts and nice boarders, and little EV car emblems - an interesting upgrade.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
EV logos won't be legal. Could be an expensive upgrade if caught.
It’s illegal to be caught driving these days anyway, isn’t it? 😆 perhaps we should replace the “GBR” on our plates with “GDR”..! 😉

·
Registered
174 Posts
Assume this is a BEV thing and REX can't apply?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
146 Posts
GDR? Yes you are right - we are living in a Police State right now ......
And I suppose the i3 is built in the former GDR!

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3D is allowed but the font has to stay the same apparently 🤷🏽 I assume one can just purchase green stickers for the plates. Anyone know?
eBay seems to have stickers available, not sure if a sticker is MoT legal but there do seem to be a few to buy.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,912 Posts
Potentially stickers are legal provided they are the correct colour and reflectivity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
“The new plates are only for vehicles that are electric only and don't use any fuel such as petrol or diesel to move.” This is according to BBC so guess a REX cannot wear one.

I think this is a common mistake made with the i3 REX. The key is in the wording “..any fuel such as petrol or diesel to MOVE”. The REX model is still classed as a full EV as the REX is not part of the drivetrain and does not rely on the petrol engine (unlike a hybrid). So, it should qualify for the green plate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts