Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked it up from the dealership at 2PM Saturday ...£ 63k it was, after 350 miles down to Upminster, a full charge over the nigh, I get to drive to work this morning (8 miles) on full EV.,i hoped...

30 seconds after starting, I'm getting this wierd message "fault - e drive cooling system - see workshop"...

Had to take it back, got a petrol replacement for the time being, no one at the Audi service knows what it means... Yet.

They'll give me a call later to tell me how long it will take...
screencapture.png


So frustrating. So I have any rights? I want a few bits and bobs from them... As good will? Or just return and refund?

Regards

V
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
That's really disappointing on a brand new car. If it's anything like my Passat GTE, there are two entirely separate cooling systems; one for the petrol engine, and one for the power electronics for the EV system (probably extends to the motor too). This second system has a slightly smaller expansion tank that is wired closed with an anti-tamper device to prevent you accidentally topping it up with anything inappropriate. It sounds like this EV coolant system has sprung a leak, gone low pressure / had an airlock in the radiator, or cooling pump has failed or some such thing.
I'd give the dealer a few days for a proper explanation. Whether I'd reject depends on their response and whether it was my money I was risking vs lease or company car, and whether planning to keep it beyond warranty period; extended warranty as a gesture of goodwill from Audio would be nice... at the very least a contribution to your increased petrol costs should be covered. Other consideration is how long you'd wait for a replacement or whether you'd jump to the BMW X5 PHEV (impressive sounding EV range) or Range Rover PHEV instead, if full BEV is not on your shortlist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's really disappointing on a brand new car. If it's anything like my Passat GTE, there are two entirely separate cooling systems; one for the petrol engine, and one for the power electronics for the EV system (probably extends to the motor too). This second system has a slightly smaller expansion tank that is wired closed with an anti-tamper device to prevent you accidentally topping it up with anything inappropriate. It sounds like this EV coolant system has sprung a leak, gone low pressure / had an airlock in the radiator, or cooling pump has failed or some such thing.
I'd give the dealer a few days for a proper explanation. Whether I'd reject depends on their response and whether it was my money I was risking vs lease or company car, and whether planning to keep it beyond warranty period; extended warranty as a gesture of goodwill from Audio would be nice... at the very least a contribution to your increased petrol costs should be covered. Other consideration is how long you'd wait for a replacement or whether you'd jump to the BMW X5 PHEV (impressive sounding EV range) or Range Rover PHEV instead, if full BEV is not on your shortlist.
I appreciate your reply @BruceH

I would have been happy with this car, it has everything on it...

Anyway, they took it in service, they're proving with a replacement, apparently of same spec...? I doubt, there's very few registered...

Anyway, we will not keep it more than 4 years, how can I ask for the warranty extension? If its good will, should it not come from them? ;)

Thanks
V
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
I have yet to come across a dealer who has offered anything that might cost them over and above the bare minimum they think they can get away with :)
If it was my car, and the garage were repairing it and returning it then I'd be asking them/Audi to extend the warranty against future failures as an act of faith in their brand and my inconvenience, otherwise I'd reject it which would undoubtedly hit them with costs and paperwork. I'm sure you'd be well within your rights to reject with a major problem occurring so early (there are various threads on here recounting peoples efforts in rejecting cars for various brands).
If they've already agreed to get you a brand new car, and if they will keep you mobile in the meantime with a loan car, then given the circumstances this sounds like a reasonable solution if you like the car; of course this still comes with disappointment and inconvenience for you, and additional petrol costs, so they should still be willing to stump up something depending on how long it takes. See what you can extract from them!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top