Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as some members will know, I collected my new Ampera from Pentagon Vauxhall in Sheffield earlier today.

I left Glasgow a little later than I had intended (about 10 to 8) so was not going to make my suggested 11:30 arrival time. I stuck £27 of diesel in the Lexus tank to make sure I made it and headed off.

By the time I made Scotch Corner I was showing 88 miles to go on the Sat Nav and 89 miles expected range
on the fuel computer. Knowing how wildly inaccurate these things can be I called in and bought my last tenner's worth of diesel (at an over inflated service station price as well).

Wasn't paying attention and ended up in the wrong lane when the M1 split and had to detour 6 or 7 miles back to the M1. Just as well I added the extra, although I was somewhat disappointed to be handing the Lexus over with enough fuel for up to 50 miles. Trade ins are meant to be running on fumes as you pull in to the forecourt. ;)

Anyway, got to Sheffield just before 1:00 o'clock and my salesman was with another customer so relaxed for about 20 minutes waiting to sort through the paperwork.

Anyway, the car was waiting outside for me (and the other customer was peering through my windows at the interior when I went out). Here she is:

You can also see beside mine is the dealer's Lithium White demonstrator. Seeing it beside my Summit White I definitely preferred the Brilliant finish of mine to the Pearlescent. Certainly not worth £995!!

After a smooth handover and talk through the controls, I even chatted to the other potential purchaser about what I thought and why I bought the car and then headed off about half 2 (too much chatting).

I used battery power to travel the first few miles heading out of Sheffield and reveled in the hush. It was lovely.

I decided to out it in Hold Mode once I hit the motorway so I would have some battery power left when I got home to show the family what it was like.

Stopped at Wetherby services where I met new member Lee charging his new Leaf from the Pasty van and felt awful when I had to leave him. However there was not much I could do to help.

Car is smooth and quiet on the motorway and I really struggled to hear the engine at all, even though I knew it was running. Only once, near the end of my journey where I really floored it at a slip road to get out from under a truck that was too close, did I really hear the engine rev to produce extra power.

I was surprised to occasionally see my battery range increase as the re-gen and the engine fed power back to the battery pack. I also noticed that occasionally in hold mode power also came from the battery. This was mostly on inclines.

Came through some pretty thick fog on the A66 to Penrith too.

I stopped again (nature's call) at Gretna by which point it was getting dull.

Although the drive was still great.

Arrived home just after 8:00 and took the car to Grandpa's.

First charge was showing 270 odd miles at an average of 49 MPG. I am starting off with a Lifetime MPG at 71 but I hope to see that climb quickly :)

All in all, it is pretty much as I expected (or certainly hoped) on the motorway although as I mostly used Hold mode I will have to see how battery efficiency suffers on my daily commute on Monday.

I'm a happy customer so far. :)

Derek

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Great stuff Derek! Your description of driving to pick up your new Ampera has taken me right back to October 2012 when I drove to Bournemouth to do the same :) And yep, I also put mine in hold as soon as I got on the motorway back to Portsmouth, as I wanted to drive on battery for the last part near home to really feel the difference on familiar roads! The Ampera is a real looker in white isn't it?

Reactions: Derekosb

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Still no sign of mine :( but great to hear such a good first report on a seriously long trip! :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I fancied the Lithium white also but once I had seen it in the flesh decided to go for Summit white too. I opted for the red interior, I was't so worried about the plastic trim on the door/dash panels going yellow but more of the seat inserts getting marked and grubby. Even with my 110+ daily commute my lifetime average is around the high 80's so I would think yours will climb rapidly even allowing for the occasional use of the 'sport' mode.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Nice looking car Derek, also nice to see they have brought the price down to a more reasonable level. Lets hope more people start buying them!

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Day one of driving it locally and two conversations about the car in the car park at my local shopping centre, one a complete stranger interested in how it can save money. The other was a friend who had seen my Facebook posts but didn't know anything about the car.

Tomorrow will be the first day at work with the car which I am sure will also generate some discussion!!

Loving the hush and find myself not turning on the radio. In fact I bought some easter eggs for my two girls earlier as well as a couple of Lindt chocolate bunnies. You know the ones, wrapped in gold foil with a little ribbon and a bell round their neck.

Well I was driving home and I kept hearing this strange noise and thought oh no, what's that!! The car is so quiet I could hear the little bells on the bunnies jingling as I drove. They were in an Asda bag in the boot! :D :D

Get my home charging point fitted tomorrow so looking forward to that as well.

Derek

·
Registered
MG ZS Exclusive
269 Posts
Very pretty car my friend! . I too am getting my home point tomorrow morning :)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes love the Ampera its a cracking car for sure, great to see that the price has been slashed as well I am certain thats going to cut in to I3 REX and Leaf sales quite a lot if its sustained, I would have bought an Ampera if it were not for the truly terrible dealership experience I had, they couldnt be bothered to talk about the car, they saw I had kids and wanted to sell me a Zafira! now I have a Leaf.

Enjoy your new car, I am sure now the price has dropped we will see many more of these amazing cars on the road.

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Knoxie,

I wad chatting to my salesman on Saturday about sales numbers. One report I had read quoted sales of 150 cars for 2013.

He felt poor sales might be down to the limited number of dealers able to sell the Ampera (24) versus the fact that each dealership is meant to have one for demo. Where a dealer can't sell the car, only refer you on, there is not much enthusiasm.

I think if this price point (£22,995) can be held for a while we should see more on the road. I know the only reason I have one is this price change.

Sorry to hear you had a poor experience, from various posts it does appear that Vauxhall has little interest in the model.

I'm certainly enjoying it so far. Big grin.

Derek

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Hi Derek, Paul

Yes sadly they really were not bothered at all, the car in the showroom had a flat battery and looking in the back of the car they had ripped out the carpets to fiddle with it and just left it, it was as shame as even at the higher price I would have bought it.

With the poor reliability of the rapid chargers at the moment a REX car such as this is a very good option, I can make my Leaf work for most trips but its annoying that it cant work for all, the Ampera fixes this problem.

I think that with the right push from Vauxhall and maybe a facelift version addressing some of the bugs the guys on here have found they could sell even more of these cars, I think the Leaf has outsold it 5-1? I think this is not all price its the poor dealerships, Nissan were and are a dream to deal with for me, at least my local dealer in Kidlington is and the dealer in my town let me have a Leaf for 3 days on loan! Vauxhall couldt even get me a test drive.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
@knoxie Can't say my Vauxhall dealer experience has been good either. :(
Quite a few folks have said the dealer experience wasn't great haven't they, just to redress the balance a bit, my experience buying mine in Bournemouth was excellent - couldn't have been better :) Mind you, I don't think it's specifically because it's an electric car - over the years I've had poor dealership experiences while buying with Vauxhall, Audi and Mercedes and brilliant ones with Volvo and Jaguar. I think dealers and salesman are just extremely variable!

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well today was my first attempt at my daily commute of 30 miles.

Car was charged from the 13A supply overnight and showed a range of 34 miles when I got in this morning (7 degrees outside at 08:30).

I got to the Motorway having lost about 6 miles range and then put the cruise on at 60 and took a leisurely drive to work. I arrived 29.6 Miles later still showing 13 miles range so happy with that. :)

Been charging at work in readiness for the journey home so will see how that goes.

Derek

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yep, you should find that the car's estimate of your range improves over the next few days as it works out what you've done so far and how much it got out of the battery on the initial few commutes. 60 is a good speed to be kind to the range in my experience, I often set the cruise to 60-65 on my trips on the A3 and A27. As the temperatures are getting spring like recently, the achievable mileage has gone right up again, there's a step function somewhere in the low teens centigrade :)

Reactions: Paul and Derekosb

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Great feedback Derek, good to get advance notice of the first few days reading on the dashboard!
The dealers vary from area to area, but I have found with all the makes that I have purchased the Yorkshire dealers seem to be straight up interested in selling you a car, no messing, no trying to sell the old stuff they have lying around. Phone up, give spec, get price, do deal, pick car up. Just the way it should be!
My local ampera dealer didn't even want to give me a price until I told them how I would be paying/financing it. To my mind that shouldn't matter. A car costs whatever it costs, if I finance it the I don't expect the cost to be any different to paying cash ! Especially as a Cash buyer !

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very true Lee. I felt my deal at Pentagon was just that, straight and no nonsense and they were very helpful.

For my journey home tonight, after some local running around to the bank, I was left with 31 Miles range. I therefore chose the shorter (but longer time wise) route home which is 24 miles. It was cold so I decided to use the heater as well. Made it home with 4 miles range still showing so not too bad. Both legs of my commute on battery as I hoped.

Derek

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some new photos as I washed the Ampera at the weekend. I am loving this car.

Derek

1 - 20 of 91 Posts