Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
First time poster but long time lurker.
I have always wanted a Tesla from first days of seeing model S reviews and finally last month picked up my new Model 3 LR AWD and loved it until last week driving on holiday with family from The Midlands to Devon. Stopped off At Exeter Supercharger for top up (lovely place by the way).
when we got back in suddenly everything went wrong.
Multiple messages on the screen. Power reduced, front motor disabled, braking system impaired, safety system impaired, steering power reduced and more. Holding the brake pedal made some horrible noises.
I reset everything. Locked and left for ten minutes but no avail.
I called assistance who were going to pick up but when I went back to the car half an hour later it was fine again. So we cancelled assistance and carried on our way.
The car was fine until 24 hours later when I used a 50kw charger and then same thing- at least 6 messages stating everything reduced / not working etc. We crawled down the road at 3 mph with no steering or braking assistance.
I phoned assistance and this time even leaving an hour didn’t right it.
So the car went on a flatbed last Wednesday and is now at Tesla Bristol who say because they’re busy they won’t be able to look at it for a week. So my car is spending it’s one month anniversary in Bristol service centre.
I know I’ve got a nice hire car in the mean time (Mercedes e class) but it’s really souring my experience of what I imagined was going to be my dream car from day one and so quickly into ownership.
I’m hoping they’re going to find a cause and fix it ASAP and I don’t even know why I’m writing this apart from seeing if anyone else has had such catastrophic issues and did they get fixed to your satisfaction?
Richard.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,803 Posts
It happens.

I'm sure Bristol will sort this for you. When I've had issues they've always sorted them pretty quickly, especially if the car is off the road.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
It happens
a lot with modern cars, not just Tesla and BEVs. They are incredibly complicated and developing so quickly that the customer is often close to the cutting edge and carrying out the endurance testing.
I hope it is fixed soon and that this doesn't sour the experience for you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I have heard of several people having such issues with various different cars like the polestar (which I have), ID.3 etc. Complete shutdowns and so on. I reckon you have been really unlucky, so hope you are back up and running soon. Its a great car...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It sounds a lot like a water-ingress issue that they had with the 2019 cars. Maybe as simple as something not plugged in properly - make a service appointment via the app and get it looked at.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It sounds a lot like a water-ingress issue that they had with the 2019 cars. Maybe as simple as something not plugged in properly - make a service appointment via the app and get it looked at.
Out of interest @Jimbo do we know what the water Ingress is due is? I took my M3 yesterday to Edinburgh SC for completely unrelasted issue, door seal, mud flaps so half hour after them having car they rang and said I needed a new steering column after finding some water ingress? Which was totally unknown to me. Was very odd, but in fairness loaner car Model S S90 😀 ready and charged, will ring but likely to be at least a week, couldn’t fault Edinburgh tbh. I hope the OP gets their issues resolved. 🤞

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all,
First time poster but long time lurker.
I have always wanted a Tesla from first days of seeing model S reviews and finally last month picked up my new Model 3 LR AWD and loved it until last week driving on holiday with family from The Midlands to Devon. Stopped off At Exeter Supercharger for top up (lovely place by the way).
when we got back in suddenly everything went wrong.
Multiple messages on the screen. Power reduced, front motor disabled, braking system impaired, safety system impaired, steering power reduced and more. Holding the brake pedal made some horrible noises.
I reset everything. Locked and left for ten minutes but no avail.
I called assistance who were going to pick up but when I went back to the car half an hour later it was fine again. So we cancelled assistance and carried on our way.
The car was fine until 24 hours later when I used a 50kw charger and then same thing- at least 6 messages stating everything reduced / not working etc. We crawled down the road at 3 mph with no steering or braking assistance.
I phoned assistance and this time even leaving an hour didn’t right it.
So the car went on a flatbed last Wednesday and is now at Tesla Bristol who say because they’re busy they won’t be able to look at it for a week. So my car is spending it’s one month anniversary in Bristol service centre.
I know I’ve got a nice hire car in the mean time (Mercedes e class) but it’s really souring my experience of what I imagined was going to be my dream car from day one and so quickly into ownership.
I’m hoping they’re going to find a cause and fix it ASAP and I don’t even know why I’m writing this apart from seeing if anyone else has had such catastrophic issues and did they get fixed to your satisfaction?
Richard.
I had almost exactly the same issues as you.

Luckily, I was only 1 mile from Bristol SC when the problem occurred - I had just picked it up from them after they had sorted some cosmetic issues.

Grant, the SC manager was excellent. Things were a little slow and exasperating before he got involved, so I would recommend trying to escalate it to him as soon as possible.

GOOD LUCK!

Btw, my car is all sorted now and (touch wood) 4,000 miles later I haven’t had any other issues.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems and I can completely relate to it souring your experience. I had a lot of issues on picking up my car and it really put a dampener on the experience especially as I had been waiting excitedly for so long. But rest assured, they are really good at fixing them. I've not had any issues since they repaired everything and I couldn't be happier with my car despite the initial setback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I suppose it’s just wait it out and see what happens. I’ll report back when I hear any more. Of course it doesn’t help when I look on my Tesla app and see the cars not moved at the service centre since Thursday morning last week! 😞
But hopefully I’ll hear more by the end of the week.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
As others have said, does sound like the known issue with loom so once they can work on it a fairly easy fix. It is a shame and very disappointing when a new car lets you down - there is someone here with an ID3 in a worse situation in that VW haven't a clue what the fault is...

Technically, if fault occurred within first 30 days you could reject and get money back. But as a known issue and simple fix, I would use that as a threat to get it fixed quickly, rather than instigate at this stage. I would also say you want some SuC miles as compensation for hassle.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Out of interest @Jimbo do we know what the water Ingress is due is? I took my M3 yesterday to Edinburgh SC for completely unrelasted issue, door seal, mud flaps so half hour after them having car they rang and said I needed a new steering column after finding some water ingress? Which was totally unknown to me. Was very odd, but in fairness loaner car Model S S90 😀 ready and charged, will ring but likely to be at least a week, couldn’t fault Edinburgh tbh. I hope the OP gets their issues resolved. 🤞
Mines in for more repairs. Ended up with a model X 70 plate. With ludicrous+ 😂😂

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tell them to take as long as they can :D
I always do, it's the only good thing about getting your car fixed. This is the second one I've had from the last two SC appointment's. This one is fully unlocked 🤣

·
Registered
287 Posts
To all those with courtesy cars, have you checked the insurance situation, particularly the excess? I’ve heard of people getting stung.

·
Registered
Tesla 3 LR
17 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems and I can completely relate to it souring your experience. I had a lot of issues on picking up my car and it really put a dampener on the experience especially as I had been waiting excitedly for so long. But rest assured, they are really good at fixing them. I've not had any issues since they repaired everything and I couldn't be happier with my car despite the initial setback.
Thanks, appreciate that positive thought. I collected my car on 28th September and am having to wait until 12th November with a long list of faults as they needed to order a new part/whole centre console. (Wondering if it'll be the new style...)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks, appreciate that positive thought. I collected my car on 28th September and am having to wait until 12th November with a long list of faults as they needed to order a new part/whole centre console. (Wondering if it'll be the new style...)
I would ask. Thing is with Tesla if you ask they usually do it 👍

·
Registered
74 Posts
As others have said, does sound like the known issue with loom so once they can work on it a fairly easy fix. It is a shame and very disappointing when a new car lets you down - there is someone here with an ID3 in a worse situation in that VW haven't a clue what the fault is...
Why do people always point to other manufacturers as if it's ok because x,y,z manufacturer has faults too.

Tesla are renowned for having extremely poor quality control from the factory and expecting their customers to put up with returning cars for service all the time. Why people defend this is beyond me. OP, I hope they get you up and running again soon and you don't have any more issues.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,803 Posts
Why do people always point to other manufacturers as if it's ok because x,y,z manufacturer has faults too.

Tesla are renowned for having extremely poor quality control from the factory and expecting their customers to put up with returning cars for service all the time. Why people defend this is beyond me. OP, I hope they get you up and running again soon and you don't have any more issues.
Because it’s not really true.

Plenty of us have had new cars delivered with no faults.

I think for many it’s the first ‘£50k’ car they’ve bought, so they think things are miraculously different from buying say a VW.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts