Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Good suggestion, but my current supplier is a small, local outfit that only offers an E7 tariff. I wouldn’t want to lumber them with the cost of the meter then leave - it might mean they’d made no profit at all on me over the last couple of years. They would probably stall for ages, anyway.

Did you have an “interim” tariff from Octopus? If so, how long did the changeover from your previous supplier take? Last time I switched, I think it took about a month.

I want to be on Agile by June at the latest, but I don’t want to be on the whopping Octopus E7 daytime rate for longer than necessary. I think I might just press the button and hope it’s only a month between switching and meter installation...
I'm in the process now, can let you know! Was switched last week, already have a smart meter - so should be quick. Energy already transferred, I applied for agile last Tuesday. It still is pending.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,405 Posts
I was switched to Octopus Energy by Ofgem when supplier went bust. The tariff was fair and asked to go on list for a smart meter as I wanted Agile or Go. Agile currently suits my usage with car I have but always wondered if Go any better but not easy to work out. Hard to justify battery storage, needs much lower outlay to install, wish it would work out as worth doing but think it would need a subsidy.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
I was switched to Octopus Energy by Ofgem when supplier went bust. The tariff was fair and asked to go on list for a smart meter as I wanted Agile or Go. Agile currently suits my usage with car I have but always wondered if Go any better but not easy to work out. Hard to justify battery storage, needs much lower outlay to install, wish it would work out as worth doing but think it would need a subsidy.
Worth it for me (9 year payback......!) but that's because it means something to me, not just hard financial.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Worth it for me (9 year payback......!) but that's because it means something to me, not just hard financial.
11-year payback based on the tariff I was on at time of installation. That got worse when my tariff changed a few months ago, but it’s about to get WAY better on Agile. And I finally have a BEV on the way in the summer, so that will soak up some sunshine and improve the returns a little more.

I did it partly on principle, partly out of interest in the tech and partly for the returns that I expected to increase over time. So far, so good.

EDIT: battery and PV installation. The BEV won’t make the battery a better investment...

·
Registered
32 Posts
11-year payback based on the tariff I was on at time of installation. That got worse when my tariff changed a few months ago, but it’s about to get WAY better on Agile. And I finally have a BEV on the way in the summer, so that will soak up some sunshine and improve the returns a little more.

I did it partly on principle, partly out of interest in the tech and partly for the returns that I expected to increase over time. So far, so good.

EDIT: battery and PV installation. The BEV won’t make the battery a better investment...
Mind if I ask what battery storage you opted for?

I already have pv. Don't store any surplus though...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Any chance the deal can be extended to others?! 😂
I still feel wonder how it happened. They even had it in stock so it was installed a few weeks after I ordered. It’s £2k more expensive now than when I bought it.

Where in the world are you - not the East Midlands, I suppose? If you are, I could provide contact details of the installers and you could always drop them a line. I would recommend them, but I don’t think they’d like me to extend the offer! 😢

·
Registered
32 Posts
I still feel wonder how it happened. They even had it in stock so it was installed a few weeks after I ordered. It’s £2k more expensive now than when I bought it.

Where in the world are you - not the East Midlands, I suppose? If you are, I could provide contact details of the installers and you could always drop them a line. I would recommend them, but I don’t think they’d like me to extend the offer! 😢
Boo :( I'm in the London area anyway!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Just added a new graph to the site on each of the 14 regional "Go versus Agile" pages.

This new one is Go versus Agile (00:30 to 04:30) for the previous year, but shows Agile as a weekly average.

For example: Octopus Go versus Agile London - Energy Stats UK

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been on agile since 28th December so early days, I have noticed in that limited time frame 01.30 to 0530 is cheaper most days, so have set my car and battery storage to charge then

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
A quick look at the 2018/2019 data I have shows the cheapest periods are the 30-minute slots starting:
  1. 03:30
  2. 04:30
  3. 04:00
  4. 02:30
  5. 03:00
  6. 02:00
  7. 05:00
  8. 01:30
  9. 05:30
  10. 01:00
  11. 00:30
So yes - 01:30 to 05:30 is a massive 2.3% cheaper than the Go off-peak period. Boom.
18-19 night price.png

81 - 95 of 95 Posts