Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a lead from those cheesy vehicle stickers, do you or your household have another car aside from your EV?

We're 100% electric with just the LEAF and have been since October, not been a problem once (he says, tempting fate), but I get the feeling we're in the minority?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
We're 100% electric with just the LEAF and have been since October, not been a problem once (he says, tempting fate), but I get the feeling we're in the minority?
We're a two car family (if you exclude all the EV conversions we are working on) and a single car wouldn't work for us. I use the Tesla Roadster for all my trips and my partner uses a BMW Mini. We are replacing the Mini with a BMW i3 REX and I believe the vast majority of our miles will be pure electric, powered by home solar PV and Good Energy :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
We are almost 100% electric...

We have had a Nissan Leaf since 2011 and at that time we had a Land Rover Freelander as our second car. We needed a car to tow our caravan but we decided to permanently site the caravan meaning that we no longer needed a tow car which freed up to get rid of the Freelander and so in 2012 we replaced it with a Vauxhall Ampera.

The Ampera is not 100% electric but it is most of the time at home as we only use petrol on long trips away... often to the caravan!

We have done about 22,000 miles in each now and I can't ever see us not owning an EV of some description from now on :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I have a Vauxhall VX220 that I bought new in 2001 and intend to keep as long as I can get in and out of it, they are getting a rare sight on the road, I say getting rare, maybe always has been, as I have only seen a handful when not a pre-arranged meeting. I also have a 1977 Vauxhall VX490 FI, currently off the road waiting for better weather to get it MOTd. It is the last one in the country according to howmanyleft. VX220 is great on economy for the type of car it is but lacks creature comforts. VX490 is lucky to get mid 20s mpg so has not been used as much as I would have liked but it bowls along fine. Finally I have an Aprilia RST1000 Futura motorbike, again not used as much as I would like but used occasionally on the commute when it is not too cold at 6:30am.

Forgot to say I also have a Vauxhall VX2300 GLS Estate registered in my name but it is sorned, due to MOT faIlure, that I bought for parts, specifically the interior for my 490 but ended up using the engine first and sourcing another complete interior elsewhere. I need to finally strip off the parts I need and get rid of it, thanks for reminding me!

·
Registered
991 Posts
MrsG drives a 2006 Prius, the Leaf is replacing my Peugeot 1007 but i need to get the cherished plate parked first before I can put it up for sale. I also have a Honda ST1100 motorbike.

The Prius and Peugeot replaced a Mercedes CLK 55 and a Landrover Discovery V8. Fantastic fun though they were at the time, the sub 20 mpg fuel consumption wasn't!

Now looking at what will replace the Prius. Would love another EV but MrsG frequently has to drive more than the range would permit. An Ampera or an i3 Rex would be ideal but outside our budget so it may be a later model Prius again.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
... An Ampera or an i3 Rex would be ideal but outside our budget so it may be a later model Prius again.
Would you consider 2nd hand because I am pretty sure that a low mileage Ampera in excellent condition might not be much more than a late-model Prius and even if it is a bit more it may well pay for the extra through money saved in petrol???

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Along with the Leaf, in our household we have:

2005 Skoda Octavia (My Girlfriends car).
2003 LWB Hi-top Transit T350, ex network rail, converted into an awesome campervan - brilliant in the summer!
2010 Triumph Street Triple R (which has been mostly used on track this year). Most entertaining bike I have ever owned.
1994 VFR750 FR - my old school summer commuting workhorse, 26,000 miles on the clock & never let me down once, still gives me 60+mpg at 80mph. Handles well too since I changed the forks and shocks.

I'm trying to persuade the GF to sell the skoda. It barely gets used since we bought the Leaf. But I have a hard enough time persuading her to drive the Leaf as-is, when she's a passenger on long runs I often catch her glancing anxiously at the SOC display, which makes me laugh! I think we've got a long way to go before she's confident enough to take on long-range Journeys on her own - she hasn't even driven the Leaf on her own yet, despite being a named driver on the insurance.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Would you consider 2nd hand because I am pretty sure that a low mileage Ampera in excellent condition might not be much more than a late-model Prius and even if it is a bit more it may well pay for the extra through money saved in petrol???
We would but the budget is around £15k which isn't enough for a 2nd hand Ampera yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We run a 2l diesel in addition to our Leaf, but we regularly run to the west of ireland and can't see thet being ev-able for some time yet!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
13 year old Vauxhall VX220, 39 year old Vauxhall VX490 and a 2001 Aprilia Futura RST1000 bike, Had the VX220 and bike since new in 2001 and bought the VX490 in 2007.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Landrover Defender 130, 2.4l diesel, around 25mpg, used for things that are too big or too dirty for the Ampera, when it is snowy (I live in a hilly rural area) and for towing a 12' trailer.
Modern Brazilian-made VW T2 camper, 1.4l petrol, around 38mpg, summer use only for holidays and long days out.

I can't see the Landrover ever being EV-able (although I read the Eden project are trialling an electric Landrover for use around the site, they probably don't need a huge range). When the camper is a bit older and EV technology has settled down a bit and I have more time I'd love to take that on as a project, several people have done it, and it tends to get used going from campsite to campsite, each with electric hookup facilities :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts