Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before we took collection of our Nissan Leaf, we had a look around for a home charging unit. We really only had two options here we could see as "mainstream" Polar/British Gas or Pod-Point.

I sent an enquiry to both, and while Pod-Point responded very quickly, Polar didn't reply until after I'd confirmed install with Pod-Point. So really it was narrowed down to one by default.

We opted for the fast charger option, which carried a £75 charge, but I'm very glad we did as it makes a real difference in day-to-day use.

We also have a pretty unusual timber property, the install was quite an unusual one, but the installer did a brilliant job, and so far the charger has been 100% reliable.

2013-06-11 15.07.50.jpg 2013-06-11 14.03.54.jpg 2013-06-11 13.15.32.jpg 2013-06-11 14.34.03.jpg 2013-06-11 12.10.38.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lots of people are going the free charger route but I also see people buying them or going for a DIY install. What is the catch with the free chargers?

·
Registered
63 Posts
How do you mean? I'm not sure there is a catch. Maybe just that not everyone is aware of the grant?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only catch (if you call it a catch) is that you agree to keep the unit connected & powered on for 3 years (at least for the Pod-Point & Polar units). These units all report back on the charging patterns & usage which is being collated by the government / energy companies, as they look a electric vehicle charging impact and patterns.

Some people seem to have a problem with being 'spied' on. I don't know why, but each to their own. After the 3 year period, you are free to do with the unit as you please.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I've also been happy with my Pod Point Paul, installed last May. But I notice Pod Point have never come up with the online application which was to allow you to look at your charging history. Their original statement to me was that their priority was getting the systems sorted to retrieve the data and supply reports to OLEV, and only then would us Joe users get a service. The cynic in me says thats the last we may hear of it :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I suspect you're right, which is the main reason I installed a separate electricity meter so that I could keep track of my EV related electricity usage. It would be nice to have some online graphs etc though, I guess I'll have to produce my own :)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yes, I also installed a meter on the charge circuit for my own purposes. So cheap, its daft not to!

·
Registered
229 Posts
My Rolec was fitted with a meter which tells me and OLEV how much I use , is that not the same as fitting another meter for your own use..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, my Rolec is the same. It has a separate meter with 3g cell connection, but strangely enough no antenna fitted. Does yours have an antenna?
Is there an online site to login to?

·
Registered
886 Posts
that only an external antenna socket if the internal antenna isn't enough to get a decent signal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts