Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Will it ever happen ?
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I was loosing sleep with range anxiety and making a 65 mile trip mainly on the motorway (M25-M26_M20) thinking the range would disappear when I got on the motorway, but was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

I did my 65mile trip I went on a 8 mile trip 1st to the Mercedes dealership to get my Mercedes 'me' set up and the battery warm, then came back and topped up charge and pre heat for 90 mins, then set off with 95 mile range on E+ with heating off, and did the 1st half on the trip at 55mph on cruise control then 2nd half at 60mph and ended up at the end of the trip with 70miles range left(y) so on the return trip (68 miles I missed the M26 turn :()I did the same, I did not pre heat the battery only the car, and return at 65- 70mph on E+ and arrived with 34 miles range left. :):):)
Mercedes 'Me' info for the trip says Time 1h 20mins Ave speed 51mph Distance 68 miles

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I never use E+, its horrible, the car is so unresponsive as to be almost dangerous, and i like being warm so driving with no heat isnt happening.

Plus, as you've pointed out, you managed the journey with masses of reserve, so really there was no need to drive so slowly and run without heating! You could have run with heating on and at a higher speed and arrived sooner and in more comfort.

·
Will it ever happen ?
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never use E+, its horrible, the car is so unresponsive as to be almost dangerous, and i like being warm so driving with no heat isnt happening.

Plus, as you've pointed out, you managed the journey with masses of reserve, so really there was no need to drive so slowly and run without heating! You could have run with heating on and at a higher speed and arrived sooner and in more comfort.
It was the 1st time I had gone on a long journey so I was learning, and I came back faster and had 35 miles range left so next time I do the journey I will try it in E with pre heat I didn't get cold. (y)

·
Will it ever happen ?
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the same 65 mile trip today, but did not use the range extender, and had 92 miles to start and did 70 mph most of the way( 50 mph max on M20 before M26) with E+ then with 30 miles range left and 15 miles to go I changed to E and put the heater on and still had 19 range left when I got home.:) I find E+ is fine using it with Criuse Control.

·
Paul Harrington
41 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised by my range and battery usage today. A mixture of dual carriageway (58mph cruise control) including hypermiling, and hilly Welsh B roads in 10c spring temerature. Miles covered 54, 3.4miles per kwh, average speed 25 mph, remaining range 40 miles. Just love the spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting mileage from our 2 x B250Es at the weekend. We went from Berkshire to Whitby (N.Yorks) and back. Our non-range extender sport achieved an ‘indicated range’ of 106, when recharged! Our new acquisition (with range extender) just covered the last 160 miles on the home run (one topup only) and has an indicated range of 129 miles, on Evans 141 miles on E+! These numbers are even more remarkable since ‘range extension was used only at the start of the journey - nor at the en route stop - or at the end!

No fancy techniques were used - beyond steady cruise at 50 mph! Temperature was about 19C

A commendable performance, by both cars?

I am reassured about the ability to achieve significant distance - in a day. However, the charging infrastructure was deplorable. So many charge failures and most AC Rapids delivered only 7 kw/h.

546961E8-3169-4D03-A8B6-491A42E183EE.jpeg
8915CD90-5EF8-46E1-962A-F1D6B2B87294.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Very timely, I keep looking for a replacement for the second car in the house a BMW 528i, which covers a bit less than 4,000 miles a year.

Have come back to the Mercedes a couple of times and get put off by no rapid charging :( but as second car I think it could work. Certainly on that range, it certainly beats the Leaf, by that I mean it isn't a Nissan and therefore my wife might actually drive it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
The
Very timely, I keep looking for a replacement for the second car in the house a BMW 528i, which covers a bit less than 4,000 miles a year.

Have come back to the Mercedes a couple of times and get put off by no rapid charging :( but as second car I think it could work. Certainly on that range, it certainly beats the Leaf, by that I mean it isn't a Nissan and therefore my wife might actually drive it!
The B250E is worthy of consideration - it’s big, roomy and fairly luxurious. It’s high driving position feels good and there are lots of useful technologies to make it easy to live with. It’s certainly seems over-engineered and has Merc and Tesla credentials. It’s prestigious and rightly so. I don’t want to diminish the quality of the opposition - but (Tesla apart) they lack charisma! Good examples of the B250E must now becoming rarer, as the last lease contracts come to an end.

If your lifestyle can handle the charger limitations - the Merc 25E is a ‘no brainer’ IMHO!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
On the basis of 4,000 miles a year the no rapid charging should not be an issue, any longer journeys we currently take the Model S over the 5 Series anyway (its free!).

It is the fact that it will be well put together and decent quality interior is what is selling to me, no amount of coaxing will get here to drive a Leaf, the i3 she like but detests the idea of the Rex, as neither fish nor foul.

The way I describe her my wife sounds a bit picky but she really can’t be that fussy as she married me!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Lots of 22kW chargers where I am so the 11kW max charge rate suits me fine.

Is a bit sad that it can only draw 3.6kW from a 7kW charger, especially as connecting the charger's live to 2 of the car's 3 live pins (as demonstrated by more courageous owners than me elsewhere in the forum) do indeed allow B250e to charge at 7kW from a single phase supply.

Speed is definitely the killer of range - not helped by its prodigious supply of power all the way to Vmax.

@EV-Runner was car #2 sitting behind car #1? Can make a huge difference to wind resistance although you need to be hanging on the bumper to get the full 90% reduction!

ps LOL @ the 7kW Rapid charge - I hope you were picnicking next to the car :LOL:

·
Registered
112 Posts

@EV-Runner was car #2 sitting behind car #1? Can make a huge difference to wind resistance although you need to be hanging on the bumper to get the full 90% reduction!

ps LOL @ the 7kW Rapid charge - I hope you were picnicking next to the car :LOL:
No, my wife is not a ‘bumper chaser’. - a cautious river is more like it! But one 45 min stop in 160 miles was a stunning range!

As for the 7 kw charges - we’ve invested in the Gregg’s App and read the free papers, in Costa. Its not good for the waistline and you can only read so much about Brexit.

We’ve got to return to Whitby, in July. Can’t say i’m enthusiastic!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If you're passing central Scotland some time you can get 11kW from 'my' public charger 10 minutes walk from my house.

Bit of a detour on the Berkshire -> Whitby route though!

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you're passing central Scotland some time you can get 11kW from 'my' public charger 10 minutes walk from my house.

Bit of a detour on the Berkshire -> Whitby route though!
Scotland is do’able with the B250E. We’ve done the Highlands twice + the inner/outer Hebrides, by IMiev. You just need good planning and patience! We have options to head to Speyside - but will it be EV or motorbike. Challenges and choices - such is life! If the plan takes off - probably Aug - we will ‘give you a shout’!

·
Paul Harrington
41 Posts
Scotland is do’able with the B250E. We’ve done the Highlands twice + the inner/outer Hebrides, by IMiev. You just need good planning and patience! We have options to head to Speyside - but will it be EV or motorbike. Challenges and choices - such is life! If the plan takes off - probably Aug - we will ‘give you a shout’!
Hi EV Runner....an iMiEV followed by a Mercedes B250e, that's a pretty unique group that we are in....?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi EV Runner....an iMiEV followed by a Mercedes B250e, that's a pretty unique group that we are in....?
I think the IMiev was unappreciated because of the huge price and poor quality interior. I was very pleased with the price that I paid (at 2K miles) and really appreciate the full leather interior and upmarket Sat Nav with DVD player. Sure it caused pain with the need a 12V blanket - but it would do Edinburgh to Berks, in a day. Multiple rapid charges had no effect. I certainly has proven robust - no faults and no repairs in 6 years.

When I firs evaluated the B-Class. Could immediately see the build quality and with the Tesla, Mercedes technologies it had to be state-of-the-art. Of course I couldn’t ignore the lack of Rapid Charging - but I know that it will only have an impact 2-3 days a year. I like the way the B-class has the same look-and-feel to more expensive models and shares the same prestigious look. The Jap and Korean EVs have a ‘sameness’ with low value, mass market cars with styling that I can only describe as ‘iffy’.

If the B250 proves as durable, as the iMiev-then it will be a true winner - still we shouldn’t get too smug. Let’s see how it stands the test of time! In the mean time - keep toasting it’s good health, with Prosecco. It gives the car extra fizz!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I like the way the B-class has the same look-and-feel to more expensive models and shares the same prestigious look.
I like the way the B250e drives better than other Mercs I have tried (albeit limited to A,B and C class).

I had a brand new A200d auto as a loaner and it just felt so uncivilised and annoying to drive in traffic than the e.

The fancy LED dashboard also felt as of it had been grafted on and added nothing to the driving experience.

I bet B250e isn't far behind eTron for quietness of cabin, and Mercedes has tuned E mode to pull away smoother than a Rolls Royce (I find E+ too tardy and S rarely necessary)

·
Registered
989 Posts
I like the way the B250e drives better than other Mercs I have tried (albeit limited to A,B and C class).
Have to agree. Have driven all three in almost every variety: petrol, diesel, manual, automatic... The most expensive one felt like the worst: the C350e. Most notably the gearbox/acceleration. Now only if Mercedes could make a BEV E-class estate with air suspension...

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you are unlucky enough to have downtime with your B250E it seems that the dealer will often give you a loaner that is a bit special. When we had a bit of downtime (last year), we had first a very handy GLA and for 3 days a C-Class coupe that was full of bling and went like stink. In my case Bristol Mercedes were very generous with a temporary substitute! I missed the B-250E - but the alternatives were inspiring! The big coupe had me thinking of being a heretic - I succumb easily to luxury, style and performane!

If a Leaf has downtime, what sad old Nissan Diesel is offered in replacement? What replaces a Zoe - a Megane? Yuk!

·
Will it ever happen ?
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
8 months down the line I'm now doing this 65 mile journey with air con on and driving at the top speed limit and still arrive with 35 miles range left so l could proberly do it all in sport mode now although l expect the range to fall back in the winter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts