Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I’ve enquired to 4 companies about having a Zappi 2 installed. 2 didn’t respond, one called me and said I’d get a return call last week, and heard nothing. The last one, I sent an email with a few questions, but all I got back was a generic application, so that put me off. Will someone please take my money? Anyway, I’m using a ‘toughleads’ extension from my outdoor plug at the back of the house for now (or forever?) it almost looks like a proper home charger, right?🤔

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
124 Posts
I’ve tried four electricians. Fourth was scheduled to come and take a quick look today.... no show. Got the second “expert” charge point installer booked in for an initial survey on Monday. I think this outfit will actually turn up because they’re damned expensive.

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
View attachment 135642

I’ve enquired to 4 companies about having a Zappi 2 installed. 2 didn’t respond, one called me and said I’d get a return call last week, and heard nothing. The last one, I sent an email with a few questions, but all I got back was a generic application, so that put me off. Will someone please take my money? Anyway, I’m using a ‘toughleads’ extension from my outdoor plug at the back of the house for now (or forever?) it almost looks like a proper home charger, right?🤔
I guess a lot of demand at present, but that is a poor show. Where about in country are you?

Don't forget that Zappi isn't the only PV capable charging point, there are others such as the EO Mini Pro 2 with PV cost option. @EO Charging are on here occasionally if you have any questions.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
2 didn’t respond, one called me and said I’d get a return call last week, and heard nothing. The last one, I sent an email with a few questions, but all I got back was a generic application, so that put me off. Will someone please take my money?
That seems about par for UK trades these days.
All the millions of unemployed have no actual skills, just a degree in 'media studies', so they aren't much use for practical work.
Sorry - rant over.

Anyway ... that looks like a permanent install to me. Just needs a bit of light brown paint on the fixed parts to make them blend better :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess a lot of demand at present, but that is a poor show. Where about in country are you?

Don't forget that Zappi isn't the only PV capable charging point, there are others such as the EO Mini Pro 2 with PV cost option. @EO Charging are on here occasionally if you have any questions.

I’m in Doncaster. I initially wanted the Zappi as I have solar, and really liked the look of them. However, as most of my charging will be done at night, I’m now thinking I may as well go for a cheaper ‘basic’ charger, and then just use the granny cable on sunny weekend days. Let’s face it, whatever I chose it’s gonna be cheap as chips compared to an ice car.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line
10 Posts
I’m having the same problem and I’m in south Sheffield.
E-mailed one company with excellent reviews twice - no response.
Phoned a local electrician who literally lives 3 minutes walk away - he said he would pop round to look at my meter cupboard and quote in a couple of days. I’m now on day 9 of waiting. Picked him as he is listed as an installer on the Zappiti website.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess that with the explosion of ev sales, plus the Covid backlog, we are caught in a sellers market, so they can pick and chose. Therefor, why reply to a potential customer who has asked questions, when you’ve got a dozen who haven’t asked questions. Why travel to south Sheffield, if north Sheffield is closer to base? Why bother responding to a customer when you have loads more chomping at the bit. Rant over, I’ll charge at 2kw and I’ll smile whilst I’m doing it......I’m asleep anyway!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
View attachment 135642
it almost looks like a proper home charger, right?🤔
Looks tidy but keep in mind granny chargers are around £250-£350 to replace, so unless you've physically secured it pretty well it could get lifted...

Having said that, I had my granny charger cable tied to a gutter down pipe on the corner of the house by the driveway clearly visible from the street for 6 months and nobody nicked it, however that was 3 years ago when nobody would know what it was.

I'd be more reluctant to do it today with EV's having more public awareness - it won't take the scrotes long to learn that EVSE's and Type 2 charging cables can fetch a decent amount of money for the small risk in attempting to steal them...

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,356 Posts
Meanwhile.... that’s a neat job. My “temporary” solution won’t be quite so pretty
My permanent solution (nor temp one) is not that neat

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks tidy but keep in mind granny chargers are around £250-£350 to replace, so unless you've physically secured it pretty well it could get lifted...

Having said that, I had my granny charger cable tied to a gutter down pipe on the corner of the house by the driveway clearly visible from the street for 6 months and nobody nicked it, however that was 3 years ago when nobody would know what it was.

I'd be more reluctant to do it today with EV's having more public awareness - it won't take the scrotes long to learn that EVSE's and Type 2 charging cables can fetch a decent amount of money for the small risk in attempting to steal them...
I live on a quiet cul-de-sac, but there’s an option to fit a small padlock to the weatherproof socket box, I’ll get one today. I could put tamperproof screws into the charger unit, but it does need to be removable occasionally. Suppose I could put a small bike U-lock on the cable but it would be pretty unsightly?

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,356 Posts
I live on a quiet cul-de-sac, but there’s an option to fit a small padlock to the weatherproof socket box, I’ll get one today. I could put tamperproof screws into the charger unit, but it does need to be removable occasionally. Suppose I could put a small bike U-lock on the cable but it would be pretty unsightly?
I've been using EVSE with Outlander. It's just there. Need to buy a used charger access write that in

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
242 Posts
Granny cable hanging behind a Homebase catflap is my solution, but I'm definitely impressed with the neatness of your installation.

Reactions: Peter Cittern
1 - 14 of 14 Posts