Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Afternoon all,

I noticed that pretty much everything I was putting on my personal wordpress site was Tesla related (obsessed much!), so decided to move that content over to a dedicated domain on the same hosting to give some separation and make it a bit more focused.

One key aim is to make sure this site isn’t perceived as another referral bottom scraper site, I’ve purposely only got the Tesla (and Bulb) referral details on a dedicated page explaining what they all are, there’s a Topcashback one on the insurance page (as a lot of people don’t seem to know about this and LV for example will give you £36 back) and details again on the external PCP vs PCH google sheet.

I’ve been creating original content, things like the cost to charge calculators were done by me for me, the iOS / Android shortcut icons were designed/drawn by me, I’ve re-written the guide I did on using the teslausb Pi to work with Google Drive (re-built mine to test it), car cleaning guides (good feedback on here for those) based on real life experience etc.. some of it will obviously be information out there on the internet, but I’ve tried to ensure I’m not just regurgitating old information for the sake of it and adding real life experience to it where possible.

Some highlights:
Guide to cleaning your Tesla (applies to most cars really) - Cleaning your Tesla - TeslaEV.co.uk
How to setup TeslaMate on a Raspberry Pi via SSH - How to install TeslaMate on a Raspberry Pi without using a monitor - TeslaEV.co.uk
How to get TeslaMate to backup automatically and upload to Google Drive - How to perform an automatic TeslaMate backup to Google Drive - TeslaEV.co.uk
How much does it cost to charge your Tesla - How much does it cost to charge a Tesla? - TeslaEV.co.uk
Tesla shortcut icons - Tesla shortcut icons - TeslaEV.co.uk

There's loads more on there and I’ve still got a long list of entries to create to as and when I’ve got free time and motivation in this very strange time (feel like I’m constantly stuck in the home office / working). One of the main limitations of not just churning out content for the sake of it, is my experience is mainly limited to my Model 3 ownership but I’m trying to round this out where I can.

I might still review the design/template, as I’m having some issues site speed wise on mobile (desktop should be very fast) and I’d like to personalise some of the page banners etc..

Any constructive feedback welcome :) - I posted similar on TMC and got some useful feedback which I'll be implementing as I go along

Site is: TeslaEV.co.uk - UK Tesla guide - Help and information for Tesla owners and fans in the UK

Dave.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks good Dave. The only comment I have is that it is showing as an insecure website (probably doesn’t have an SSL certificate?), and when I clicked on the “Type 2 Charging Cable Bag” link, it complained about a non-private connection and that the website may be impersonating your blog. I think SSL will sort all these out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good Dave. The only comment I have is that it is showing as an insecure website (probably doesn’t have an SSL certificate?), and when I clicked on the “Type 2 Charging Cable Bag” link, it complained about a non-private connection and that the website may be impersonating your blog. I think SSL will sort all these out.
Thank you for that, talking to my hoster about options, I’ll likely sort out the SSL very soon :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looks great, well done.

The thing with blogs is content is king, of the content is good enough the rest doesn’t matter so much, all the page speed and fancy design means nothing if the content isn’t interesting / useful.

Your content looks well thought out so nice one.

Not sure how you direct traffic to your site unless your blog posts meet some specific search terms not covered elsewhere.

If going SSL remember not to mix your http & https as that will cause all sorts of problems. This is usually when linking to external scripts like Google Analytics etc.

I’m a web dev (well used to be) happy to help with any advice I can offer or review.
Cheers

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great, well done.

The thing with blogs is content is king, of the content is good enough the rest doesn’t matter so much, all the page speed and fancy design means nothing if the content isn’t interesting / useful.

Not sure how you direct traffic to your site unless your blog posts meet some specific search terms not covered elsewhere.

If going SSL remember not to mix your http & https as that will cause all sorts of problems. This is usually when linking to external scripts like Google Analytics etc.

I’m a web dev (well used to be) happy to help with any advice I can offer or review.
Cheers
Brilliant feedback, thank you :)

I’m working on the SEO, starting to get impressions in google now, but it’ll take time. It will help when google adsense start reviewing sites again, that always seems to help with your google rankings. Not expecting much cash from it, having run a huge forum before and knowing the volumes of traffic needed to make some decent money.

·
Registered
578 Posts
having run a huge forum before and knowing the volumes of traffic needed to make some decent money.
Very interesting, funny enough just prototyping a (non car related) new forum idea at the moment.

Happy to help in anyway I can with your site in return for a knowledge share, be interested to hear those numbers.

I’m no SEO expert but done / seen enough over the years. Just done a Tag Manager project which was super interesting, tracking user journeys etc.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very interesting, funny enough just prototyping a (non car related) new forum idea at the moment.

Happy to help in anyway I can with your site in return for a knowledge share, be interested to hear those numbers.

I’m no SEO expert but done / seen enough over the years. Just done a Tag Manager project which was super interesting, tracking user journeys etc.
I can highly recommend XenForo for the forum software :)

The site I used to run was vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk before selling it a few years ago, it would constantly have over 300-400 people connected during the busy hours. Unfortunately when Facebook groups/pages picked up, revenue when down and numbers dropped a bit too.

I recommend a combination of Adsense and Skimlinks for revenue streams.

This blog is just a hobby, no expectation of making anything worth talking out of it, the ads I hope will generate traffic, rather than meaningful money.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great, well done.

Cheers
Hi Chris (@reserves ), updated to https today, can you see if the errors have now gone? :) - TeslaEV.co.uk - UK Tesla guide - Help and information for Tesla owners and fans in the UK

I'm not a huge fan of blog sites these days, but it does seem rather well done.

Good effort.
Thanks @SirRob - hopefully me trying to avoid being one of the bottom feeding, news regurgitating blogs goes some way to help with that!

Just added some great new content on there for TeslaMate, including how to bulk import Supercharger and Destination charger info :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great work Dave. i finally took the plunge and should be picking my LR on 26th, after some protracted should I, shouldn’t I given what the economic fallout is going to be.

Your site really pulls together all the useful practical things I might wish to consider for the car. I didn’t think, for example, that LV could be cheaper than Directline, so thank you for your insight.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great work Dave. i finally took the plunge and should be picking my LR on 26th, after some protracted should I, shouldn’t I given what the economic fallout is going to be.

Your site really pulls together all the useful practical things I might wish to consider for the car. I didn’t think, for example, that LV could be cheaper than Directline, so thank you for your insight.
Thanks for the feedback @Rollo - make sure you use TopCashback (sign up using the link on there if you haven't got an account) or maybe Quidco if going with LV to make it even cheaper.

You'll love the car!

Https working great. Nice one :)
Excellent! - My hosting co offered to move me to the new platform they offer, you automatically get free https with that, dead simple to implement too :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts