Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn for the 12V issue - car completely dead on my drive! Now waiting for the AA via VW Roadside Assistance.

I got a 12V warning yesterday but everything started and worked as normal, I was then driving around for about an hour and popped out again last night with no more warnings.

Went to get in it now, the mirrors didn’t drop and there’s nothing at all on any display. It won’t even lock now.

Oh what fun.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
628 Posts
My turn for the 12V issue - car completely dead on my drive! Now waiting for the AA via VW Roadside Assistance.

I got a 12V warning yesterday but everything started and worked as normal, I was then driving around for about an hour and popped out again last night with no more warnings.

Went to get in it now, the mirrors didn’t drop and there’s nothing at all on any display. It won’t even lock now.

Oh what fun.
Not good. Hope it’s fixed soon.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the 0570 software and was due to have 0783 installed in Jan 11th.

The AA guy gave the 12V a boost then ran a few tests and diagnostics.

He believes there is a fault with the inverter (or the associated software) which charges the 12V battery. Even with the car turned on and all the heaters turned on the battery was only being recharged at 12.9V and it needs 12.8V just to maintain itself - so it is barely being charged at all, he would have expected to see it at about 14V in that state.

Following his advice, I left the car turned on and plugged into my home charger for an hour, and am repeating that a bit later this evening.

If it doesn’t sort itself out, it will be taken to the workshop tomorrow - either under it’s own steam or on the back of a recovery truck.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problem. Hope that VW sort you out for Christmas. I can't believe that the voltage should be that low even with the heated rear window, mirrors, lights and fan on full. Hopefully an upgrade to the latest software will cure it - it's a good starting point as long as the 12v battery isn't damaged.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,804 Posts
I have the 0570 software and was due to have 0783 installed in Jan 11th.

The AA guy gave the 12V a boost then ran a few tests and diagnostics.

He believes there is a fault with the inverter (or the associated software) which charges the 12V battery. Even with the car turned on and all the heaters turned on the battery was only being recharged at 12.9V and it needs 12.8V just to maintain itself - so it is barely being charged at all, he would have expected to see it at about 14V in that state.

Following his advice, I left the car turned on and plugged into my home charger for an hour, and am repeating that a bit later this evening.

If it doesn’t sort itself out, it will be taken to the workshop tomorrow - either under it’s own steam or on the back of a recovery truck.
This is what mine is showing as it sits on an Ionity Rapid.

The AA man is correct, it should be showing a higher voltage than 12.9v to properly charge.

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,812 Posts
The AA man is correct, it should be showing a higher voltage than 12.9v to properly charge.
Very true, any car, ICE or EV should be charging the 12v battery at about 14.5v or slightly higher.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think if the 12v has got that low, it's likely to be unable to charge any more, isn't it? Time for a new one, and invest in a 12v charger IIWY.
Time for VW to fit a new battery if required, and to sort the issue out to prevent a repeat - I’ve never needed a charger before with any other car and I shouldn’t need one now.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well by some miracle (and me heeding the advice of the AA man) my car is alive again, and with no warnings or errors.

I’ve done 3 cycles now of leaving the car “started” with my Pod Point plugged in - after the first cycle I still had a 12V warning but after the second cycle everything was as normal, I did a third this morning just to be sure.

I’ve been for a drive, deliberately using the heated stuff to trigger a boost to the 12V - no problems and now all locked up til this evening.

Fingers crossed I have no repeats, at least I have a workaround til the 2.0 software goes onto the car - unless the 12V dies again!

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,852 Posts
There doesn’t seem to be a definite pattern for these 12V drains. My guess it’s another software glitch, where something is getting left on in the car, or it’s forgetting to charge the 12V battery when it should be.

My e-golf was left for 6 weeks and the 12V battery died, but I’m pretty sure that’s because I kept checking the car using the Car-Net app, and it even gave me warnings about it!

·
EGGY
1,690 Posts
Think I'll be putting mine on the battery charger every night even if I get 0783 .... used to have a German sports car that sat in garage mots of the winter and bought the battery charger for that, didn't think I'd need it when I went EV 3 years ago (and haven't), glad I kept it ..

Let's not talk about the 3 2CV's I owned and their dodgy alternator's .... that starting handle came in handy a few times (y)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Honestly if a brand new car in 2020/21 can't maintain its own 12v battery without it running flat overnight, that's a warranty issue that needs dealing with by VW. I will personally not be buying additional backup devices or making special dispensation for it being a new model of car that's not quite "right" yet. If I bought a remote control car for £30 that wouldn't hold a charge as designed, it would be going straight back to the retailer. Why would I make allowances for a car costing over £30k?

I do understand some of the reasoning behind having a backup for those who choose to do so but with 3 years breakdown cover including home start, I'm more than happy for VW to foot the bill rather than paying out for extra kit to mitigate the possibility of a well-known fault on top of the expense of the car.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.