Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,360 Posts
It module may have packed in in you case and you have been lucky that it has stuck in the unlocked position. I raked about Amazon/eBay for a USB charger that also had a voltage display, may not be the most accurate but it will give you a warning, it also has a temperature (although that goes up when it is charging something) and current used, it cycles through them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
After reading this thread thoroughly... I saw this suggestion

@Freebird looks like you are lucky it failed in the unlocked position, you could just accept the message and leave it like that no need to get it fixed as such.

I've just been out for lunch in the Amp and when powering down I can't hear the locking pin sliding in like I did before...would be great if this is the case!

·
Registered
121 Posts
It module may have packed in in you case and you have been lucky that it has stuck in the unlocked position. I raked about Amazon/eBay for a USB charger that also had a voltage display, may not be the most accurate but it will give you a warning, it also has a temperature (although that goes up when it is charging something) and current used, it cycles through them.
We must have posted at the same time @h8ten

Another good reason to always park with steering wheel straight.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can turn the wheel left and right when powered off...I've never been so pleased for a part to fail on a car!

Makes sense why the warning shows every single time as it genuinely does need servicing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Ampera has to be the first AI car with a mind of its own!

Just before I was about to leave on holiday, I popped into town to get some last minute bits, I parked in a multi story car park, realised i'd parked too close to a pillar and quickly restarted the car after initially powering down. It was stuck in P mode :eek:, I eventually managed to power down and restart, but still stuck. First time it had ever happened to me after nearly a year of ownership and just before I was about to go on hols, not sure if it was because I quickly restarted after powering down?!?
Anyway, I left it where it was and carried on about my business thinking about potential ways to get it out of the multi storey without affecting our trip.
On powering up on return it shifted out of park no problem...phew, I went home, parked on the drive and went on holiday in our LEAF. Since using it upon returning from holiday, I no longer get the Service Steering Column Lock error (after getting it every single day for months) and I can hear the lock being engaged again!

You couldn't make it up ?

·
OtleyBrock
Vauxhall Ampera Electron 2014/64, since new
17 Posts
Adding a "me too". I suffered the immobilised car issue over 2 years ago, resolved then by the F2 fuse "fix". Since then been fine until a couple of weeks ago, when got the "service steering lock" message on a start up, though didn't interfere with using the car and disappeared quickly. Combined with some DAB radio issues I thought this was telling me it's time I replaced the battery (original, on 64 reg Ampera). So I did that 2 days ago (Yuasa 9000 AGM battery). Yesterday, once only, on starting up got the message again :-( , again without stopping me going. Stopped and started several more times since. Have read lots on here (including all 19 pages of Steering column lock fault ), pulled cleaned and tidied F2 fuse just because why not and now I wait to see what happens next...

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I recommend you buy one of the affordable ones from the US by Ebay and get it replaced. Once it starts to fail it could be tomorrow or ten years time. It takes around an hour max to replace and doesn't cause any alarms that do not automatically reset when it is replaced.
Defo a relatively easy home mechanic job.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts