Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as a LEAF Driver of 2.5 years and with 27,000 miles under my belt; it's time to consider my next car. BMW i3 is perfect EXCEPT its got a small boot, 1 less seat and stupid back doors!

So the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is an alternative and for the next 6 days I'll be putting it's though its paces. I'll also be asking you guys for help working things out; so thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_1112.jpg

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rapid Charging through the CHAdeMO; Is it restricted to 16kWh?I plugged it into a DBT/CEV Rapid charger at WKB Nissan (I use this weekly with my LEAF) and the charging sat at 320v / 50A until 74% then dropped to 40A. That's half what the LEAF initially charges at at over 105 Amps

Is Rapid Charging restricted to 16wH? Also how do you check the charging status form within the car; when I pressed the power button once (without brake pedal depressed) only the radio works; press the power button a second time at the car starts forcing the rapid charging to cease?

10402691_10153346617081494_2777728988116442134_n.jpg

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one, you doing your usual video?
I've not even edited the BMW i3 REX video from the August Bank Holiday weekend; darn day job getting in the way. I'll do a bit of video towards the end of the test drive rather than the usual 3 camera set up!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you force it to stay in EV only mode? I've pressed the ECO button but I sink my right foot too much the petrol engine kicks in either to to provide charge, or drive or both?

·
Banned
3,116 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I crept into the A14 services with 1 mile left on elec. Connected to the rapid charger and went for coffee.

It had finished about 20 mins later, to 80%. So my theory is it takes 12kw for a full charge, so about 10kw needed to get to 80%. I recon it's charging at about 30kw/h, maybe more, as it does seem to wack it in at 1st then slow down for the last bit.

All very painless, once you've worked out how to use the charger! ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
The smaller battery probably means rapid charging will be at a lower rate than a Leaf.
Yes, 50A at the rapid vs 125A for the Leaf is my experience. It makes long EV only trips time consuming but in real life I still got around 150 mpg as my commute is 9 miles each way with charge points at both ends.

·
Registered
327 Posts
How do you force it to stay in EV only mode? I've pressed the ECO button but I sink my right foot too much the petrol engine kicks in either to to provide charge, or drive or both?
I found it took me about a month to figure out how to work the pedal without firing up the ICE. It was worth it once I got the hang of it.
When wet I would fire up the ICE and enjoy the traction. You might find it doesn't skid around like the Leaf and the i3 on a wet road.
How are you finding it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
To avoid the engine firing up in normal mode, just keep the left hand needle in the green range.

Be aware that in parallel hybrid mode (engine running, driving front wheels) much of the time you are actually in front wheel drive mode.

Here's a video to explain it all:

http://insideevs.com/video-complex-...hi-outlander-phev-dumbed-down-to-the-extreme/

It's not as much fun away from the lights as the Leaf - the engine spoils it!

If you haven't discovered it yet, the dynamic drivetrain schematic is accessed on the mmcs by pressing INFO....TRIP...select top middle tab. That shows you what's occurring in real time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you haven't discovered it yet, the dynamic drivetrain schematic is accessed on the mmcs by pressing INFO....TRIP...select top middle tab. That shows you what's occurring in real time.
Thanks; yes have discovered that menu; just would have been nice to have button that overrides that engine kicking in until the battery is exhausted. Not to worry. Really enjoying the test drive.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know the exact charge rate but did find the rapid charging restricted to 80% when we had our loan vehicles... here's a useful document
I have charged the Outlander to 100% without issue. The charger cuts of at 80% as with the LEAF then a simple restart and off it goes until fully charged. Pictured on Saturday at IKEA Southampton

IMG_1146.JPG

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I cant believe how many of these outlander PHEV's i have seen in recent weeks! They look like the perfect SUV if you have a couple of kids and aren't doing too many long journeys.

Its a shame Mitsubishi don't offer an upgradable battery capacity with this PHEV though. Hopefully manufacturers will go down this route for future cars.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
324 Posts
I've just ordered an Outlander to replace my Passat Alltrack. It's ideal for the school run/dog walks, local short runs, etc. when my wife has the LEAF for work and will also handle the family visit trips from Cumbria to the midlands as well as the half dozen or so caravan holidays between Easter & October half-term...couldn't ask for more. Due to arrive mid-to-end of November. :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
EV Heating Hassles - still!

Really enjoying our test drive with the Outlander PHEV; but I'm seeing a familiar irritation over the past 24 hours - HEAT. With the temperature turning chilly i've started using the heating in the Outlander. I have tried pressed Auto and selected 20 degrees but my OH like it 22 degrees .

Invoking heating sees the range estimate drop from 27 miles to 20 or 19 miles only. Are there any hints and tips? As his is a demo cat I don't have the iPhone connectivity options so no pre-heating test available, unless this is programmable from the head unit?

Irritating that EREV / REX / PHEV don't have a heat pump option or the possibility of using part of the ICE to produce some heat for cabin heating rather than decimate the battery with heating.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Model differences between GX4H & GX4Hs?

I'm just honing which model I would choose but using the Mitsubishi web site is a akin to a game of spot the difference. Is the only difference between the GX4H and the top of the range GX4Hs the Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Departure Warning?

Frankly the LDW system has been like an annoyance I have turned off and the ACC has been useful in some situations but has applied the brake very quickly in a couple of situations when it was not required so I would frankly not choose either.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ECO Mode - Default?

Can this be defaulted to 'On'. Quite a few time I have jumped in the car and been driving for some time before realising that I had not 'pushed the button' and the heater et al has been hammering the battery.

Reactions: Tim Parkinson
1 - 20 of 120 Posts