Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have an e-Niro and are now looking to replace my wife’s 15 year old Yaris with either a small EV or possibly a hybrid.
My wife only does up to 4K miles a year, mainly in suburban/ city conditions. She wants a four door car and it does not need to be large. Budget is up to £20k.
Our research/ test drives so far have resulted in the following views:
Smart Car - expensive and ride not great, small battery
Renault Zoe - new ones too expensive and previous model suffered from reflected glare from dashboard, cost of battery owned model
Peugeot e208 / Corsa - too expensive
Honda e - too expensive
Mini electric- too expensive

New it seems to leave the VAG Group Skoda e-Citigo, Seat Mii, VW up. Of these the Skoda is looking best value for money and we are waiting to see one / test drive. My wife however isn’t keen on the look of the car (particularly its rear end even though I have told her she won’t see it when driving!)
She really loves her Toyota Yaris and the dealer has been great since she bought it new all those years ago. This means she has started to look at the new 2020 Yaris hybrid as a possible replacement. I can hear the groans from all the folk who don’t like the “self-charging” adverts. The car won’t be arriving in the U.K. for a few months but from what I have read and seen online it seems that she could get one for within her budget. It will be more efficient than the current Yaris and is a good looking car.
So in summary it looks like the short-list is down to the Skoda e-Citigo and the new Toyota Yaris hybrid.
I would be interested in the views of others on the forum. Have I missed any alternatives?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Renault Zoe - new ones too expensive and previous model suffered from reflected glare from dashboard, cost of battery owned model
Won't help the glare issue, but I've seen two battery owned models that have been well priced in the last month. Even this one from a private seller is not bad.

Certainly the best value for money when it comes to £ per kWh. When you factor in depreciation and running costs it will certainly beat a lot of the other options.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,401 Posts
Bang for buck the Zoe is the best all rounder. Worth trying one to see how the dashboard glare affects her. Because the seat isn't height adjustable I think it probably affects some heights of people more than others.

It's small, the boot is actually larger than it should be and it does generally function as a short run car. Pre heating works with and without it being plugged in and from an app. .

It's also worth looking at the 27 or 30kwh Soul EV. It's well equipped and has heated seats and steering wheel as standard. It is much better built than the Zoe and also has a 7 year warranty.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes thanks - unfortunately the glare issue has put her off the old Zoe model. I know some folk have put cloth on the dash to try and overcome!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Soul will be worth a look - possibly a bit bigger than she is looking for.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,401 Posts
Yes Soul will be worth a look - possibly a bit bigger than she is looking for.
The soul is tall but it's not as long as a leaf and it's not much wider than the Zoe. It's the same width as the E Niro but a bit shorter than it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Or e-Golf? Again a bit bigger than her Yaris but has passed through its ID3 depreciation. Note that the new Yaris will also be considerably bigger than her previous one.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks re e-Golf - she has looked at one. Yes you are right her Yaris is more Aygo size. At least the 2020 version is smaller than current model.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Blimey! With an up to 20K budget you have lots of options!
Stay away from hybrids....30KWH Leaf and even the 40KWH Leaf has started to dip below £20,000 now.
Test drive a Zoe, it may not be a problem, the 40KWH version is within budget with battery owned.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,461 Posts
If paying cash and with the low mileage no choice of EV yet.

A used Yaris would be best or make current car last another year or two when there might be more choices on the EV market.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Minor point, but one worth bearing in mind - if your Wife is considering holding a car for another 15 years then there is a very real chance that a BEV will have to have its batteries replaced in that time period, and that a hybrid without a significant battery range (I doubt the 4 miles electric range will be considered sufficient) may well not be allowed into many city centres.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Yes thanks - unfortunately the glare issue has put her off the old Zoe model. I know some folk have put cloth on the dash to try and overcome!
I’ve been driving the Zoe for the last four years and it’s never been a problem.

It was only an issue with the white dashboards, which were discontinued early on.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,401 Posts
I’ve been driving the Zoe for the last four years and it’s never been a problem.

It was only an issue with the white dashboards, which were discontinued early on.
I had a grey dashboard. It reflects up half the screen at certain angles of sunlight. Grey isn't dark enough. Only a matt black dash wouldn't reflect at all. I think some eye heights get it worse than others.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Zoe we drove was with a grey dash I think and the reflection was really bad.

interesting point about about battery life and keeping a car for 15 years. Also the issue about perhaps hybrids being banned from City centres.

I did say our budget was up to £20k but really we would prefer to spend less than this.
For some reason the appearance of the car matters and past experience of certain makes. So from the feedback so far - she doesn’t like the boxy look of the Soul and she doesn’t like the pedal arrangement in the Golf (brake pedal too high). She would also prefer something smaller.

I think if our local council banned certain cars from the City centre it would kill it. The shops already struggle and folk would just go to the out of town centres or use Amazon etc
So at present I think we are still going to be looking at the Skoda e-Citigo and the hybrid Toyota Yaris.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Have you considered a lease deal on a new Zoe? There are some insane deals and might be a good option to try until new models are out in 2 years.

Total cost is working out to be ~ £6,000. £177.66 per month with ~£2k done. Considering fuel savings and even battery lease savings from a used Zoe, it's quite competitive.

A Skoda Citigo is also on a decent lease deal for around £5,000 but personally, I think there are far too many compromises to warrant it. Total comes to ~£5k

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Metcast - yes will look at this. Interested in what compromises you see in the Skoda?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If you go for a cheap tekna it has cameras all around and worth a test drive as they offer great value for money and I would say are very reliable and won't lose as much money as the others

1 - 20 of 90 Posts