Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cover up that has been done either from the factory/Immingham or at the Stealership is a joke, 4 days after ownership I found a scratch that had been repaired badly and informed my dealership just before lockdown during this time I found that the Ceramic coating I had applied they have damaged many panels ie burnt polish marks, alot of polish marks all over the bodywork that was not polished in, lockdown over had to re report the scratch again as well as polish marks, went to the dealer recommended bodyshop and they stated it's down to the dealer but awaiting on the outcome of thiswith the dealer and Kia UK, went to a full qualified detailer who looked over the car and without trying a test patch cant confirm the cost to remove what was done damagewise and to remove the coating but it'll be from £695, hopefully tomorrow I'll get a full detail report from the detailer and present this to the dealer and have a meeting to see where we go from here, in all honesty I dont want the car and have it replaced or last resort get money back and move on, I love the car but the service and lack of returning calls is leaving a sour taste in my mouth of this dealer.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Sorry to hear that :(. I hope that they resolve it to your satisfaction ASAP.
Out of interest it's unclear who applied the ceramic coating, you, the dealership or a third party. Was it ever satisfactory or was it damaged afterwards?
It appears that both Kia and Hyundai are let down by their dealerships. Name and shame so that others can avoid the same poor service.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@dk6780 I did not apply the Ceramic coating myself as I dont have the right environment to do so, I did not trust the foreign valeters at the dealership I had asked the representative of ceramic coating to assist and over see the application ,after speaking to the sister company of the ceramic coating I found out that the dealership valeters did the cermaic coating themselves, damage was caused at the time but could only be seen in certain lighting conditions, also when the car was clean.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
That makes it simple then, all of the responsibility legally is with the dealership. Threaten to reject the car and be prepared to walk away.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When you accept it, sign for it and drive away from the dealership, I would have assumed that the only legal responsibility they have is the warrantied components, since you cannot ultimately prove that it was not something which has happened in the intervening period.

I have a scratch on the aerial fin on one side. I certainly don't feel I can go back to the dealers, since I discovered it a week after collection

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we'll see what happens but I will not let this lie, the ceramic coating has a 5 year warranty and the company that supplies it to the dealer is very interested in this as they want to be kept upto date, they are not too happy themselves so we'll see.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
When you accept it, sign for it and drive away from the dealership, I would have assumed that the only legal responsibility they have is the warrantied components, since you cannot ultimately prove that it was not something which has happened in the intervening period.
Not in the UK, the rights are on the side of the consumer.

Rejecting a car – your consumer rights | The Car Expert

If the garage are unwilling / unable to fix the issue the purchaser can reject it without notice in the first 30 days or after failure to reach agreement in the first 6 months. With the dealerships being closed due to Covid-19 the 30 days may have been extended - it depends on the exact dates of delivery and the dealership in question. But the bottom line is the law is on the OPs side, particularly if the dealership admits the original repair and contracted for the ceramic treatment.

Rejecting the car means the OP will be at a considerable loss as my understanding is that unlike the Hyundai the Kia is still on a considerable delay so even if he "gets his money back" he will not just "be able to go out and get a replacement".

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rejecting the car means the OP will be at a considerable loss as my understanding is that unlike the Hyundai the Kia is still on a considerable delay so even if he "gets his money back" he will not just "be able to go out and get a replacement".
Maybe not. With the announcement of the 4+, it seems there are now a fair few spares floating around, with people deferring orders, which would have directly followed cancelled orders due to Covid.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Went in today to get an update yawn, the dealer was sent a quote last week and they have asked the bodyshop to tweak it which to me sounds like make a worse job of it, also they want to rectify the polishing damaged and put it right at the dealership hmmmm I really have no confidence in any of that.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what the Dealers Valeters did to my roof and other areas applying Cermamic Coating and no it's nothing to do with the rain when it dries.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
67 Posts
That makes it simple then, all of the responsibility legally is with the dealership. Threaten to reject the car and be prepared to walk away.
There is a very similar thread on the FB group on the e Niro. the lady in question took it to Kia UK with the photographic evidence and they are replacing the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts