Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Coming from an Etron, where on cold winter days I get as little as 1.8kW/mile on a run up to Newcastle (about 2/3 is on the A1M) I need to charge to make it home without any bum-squeaking. It’s 190 miles round trip. The good thing about the Etron is a trip to the 175kWh FastNed charger in Newcastle city centre bangs about 80 extra miles of range in in about 20 minutes. Going to try an iPace through the Pivotal scheme when it goes back (as discussed elsewhere) and was wondering if the MY21 is expected to improve rapid charging performance? It seems the iPace has better range than the Etron (most folk seem to be getting well in excess of 2kWh on motorways and in winter) so charging might not be an issue (I’d not want to have to drive at 55mph or be getting home with under 20 miles of range left). But if I did have to charge, the rapid charging of the iPace seems to suggest I’d be looking at more like 60-70kWh charging speed so my 20 minute lunch stop would maybe only get 40-50 miles of range in - which might of course be plenty. It’s not a show stopper as it’s only a 3 or 4 times a year trip to drop off/collect my daughter, but wondered if the new year model has any changes that might be expected to improve rapid charging performance?

EDIT: I just saw in the brochure that the iPace “is equipped to accept up to 150kWh”?

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
258 Posts
Your post is rather difficult to follow because you are not using the corrrect units. Charger speed is rated in kW, not in kWh. kWh is used as a measure of battery capacity and of energy used, e.g. a 50 kWh battery can supply a rate of 5kW for 10 hours or a rate of 10kW for 5 hours. EV car economy in the UK is expressed as either kWh/100miles or as miles/kWh (2miles/kWh is the same as 50kWh/100miles).

I hope that is helpful although I realise it doesn’t answer your question?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So: in order to make my completely incomprehensible post a bit clearer:

Have they made any changes to the MY21 iPace to give it the capability to charge at 150kW, as suggested in the brochure? And have they improved the charge speed at higher SOCs, as I understand it slows down quite a lot over about 50%?

·
Registered
349 Posts
My last 20 mile journey to work, mix of motorway and A roads, no heating just seat warmer, returned 28.8Wh/100miles 3.47 miles per kW, 85.5 usable battery potentially giving me 296 odd miles, would never get that but hey. Not had.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My last 20 mile journey to work, mix of motorway and A roads, no heating just seat warmer, returned 28.8Wh/100miles 3.47 miles per kW, 85.5 usable battery potentially giving me 296 odd miles, would never get that but hey. Not had.
These are figures I can only dream of! My last 20 mile journey (2 days ago) returned 2.29 per kW (196 miles total) on a mix of A and B roads. I do love my iPace but feel it is incredibly inefficient.

·
Registered
349 Posts
These are figures I can only dream of! My last 20 mile journey (2 days ago) returned 2.29 per kW (196 miles total) on a mix of A and B roads. I do love my iPace but feel it is incredibly inefficient.
That was my thoughts but it has seemed to have improved this last week. Got an update on Monday and seems to have become more efficient. Maybe it's just a coincidence 😂

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I suspect the my21 performs like this...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
EDIT: I just saw in the brochure that the iPace “is equipped to accept up to 150kWh”?
I think that must be a typo as everywhere else and other car data info states it’s 100kW max.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I havent done much mileage in the last 6 months and little in the way of longer trips, so this is just fyi.
I dumped the data from the app and plotted the m/kWh so see the general trend... which obviously shows the impact of colder weather, which should start to go back up over the next few months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts