Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia e-Niro
❗Important Safety Notification❗
We have identified a serious safety issue with the latest version of the Kia e-Niro (2020 model)

This car is currently only available in a limited number of countries (eg The Netherlands) but will be released globally in the coming months.

In certain circumstances, when used with an EV charger such as the myenergi zappi which supports both three phase and single phase charging, the Kia causes a short circuit across the supply. This can cause:
-The main fuses to the property to blow – these will need to be replaced by the electricity distribution or supply company at a cost to the customer
-Damage to the zappi – the zappi will need to be repaired or replaced
-Possible damage to the EV
Although we have been made aware of this problem by our customers we are also aware that other EV charge points have encountered similar problems with the new Kia e-Niro.
We have contacted Kia and are doing what we can to draw their attention to this important safety issue with the e-Niro
Please click the link below to read more...
https://myenergi.com/e-Niro/

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I suppose it leads to the obvious question, is this a safety issue with the E-Niro or an assumption by Zappi about how EVs should work. Does the E-Niro have problems with any other chargers? Do other chargers try to do what the Zappi tries to do? Interesting issue though.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose it leads to the obvious question, is this a safety issue with the E-Niro or an assumption by Zappi about how EVs should work. Does the E-Niro have problems with any other chargers? Do other chargers try to do what the Zappi tries to do? Interesting issue though.
Reading the link, it states that Tesla M3 and the Zoe work correctly and always have done, so it looks like a cock up by Kia.
They are also aware of other chargers that are having the same issue.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
is this a safety issue with the E-Niro or an assumption by Zappi about how EVs should work
Seemingly both. There's no standard for switching between single and three phase charging, and both have made different assumptions.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Yes, (but your e-Niro will only charge at 3.6kW - edited as I was wrong). The other issue is how your solar is wired (which is why a lot of people have chosen a Zappi) which may put the solar into a different phase meaning that you cannot benefit from it.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
The British 2020 Kona does, so I'd be surprised if the 2020 eNiro doesn't...

·
Registered
272 Posts
The British 2020 Kona does, so I'd be surprised if the 2020 eNiro doesn't...
My e-Niro 4 does not have any connectors in the bottom two holes of the car's charging socket which I think means no ability for three phase charging. As far as I know in England Scotland and Wales three phase charging is only possible with the 4+ due later/next year.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,698 Posts
I suppose it leads to the obvious question, is this a safety issue with the E-Niro
Absolutely totally. (3 ph Niros, that is to say)

Whether there is a second problem with something else, the car should not allow this to happen under any circumstances.

Someone's screwed up the safety case.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
My e-Niro 4 does not have any connectors in the bottom two holes of the car's charging socket which I think means no ability for three phase charging. As far as I know in England Scotland and Wales three phase charging is only possible with the 4+ due later/next year.
Isn't the 4+ what we are talking about? The inconsistent nomenclature justs adds to the confusion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Isn't the 4+ what we are talking about? The inconsistent nomenclature justs adds to the confusion.
its the markets the my20 eNiro got 3 phase charging, my Irish version has 3 phase charging and can charge on the 22kw destination charge points we have here charging at 11.1kw. 3 phase in domestic properties is more common or standard in europe.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Apparently the new Kona is affected also as it not surprisingly uses the same technology. So Hyundai appear to have messed up As I believe they probably make the hardware.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hmmmm. This might potentially cause delays to the UK 4+ versions due November ish? They might hold it back to implement a fix? This sounds like an extremely major cock up to me.Hyundai/Kia will likely have to pay compensation to all the charging points that get blown up! They will surely need to hold back the 3Phase equipped production run and recall/rework any 3Phase cars sold.

Peter

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Yes, but your e-Niro will only charge at 3.6kW.
Not true and is precisely why there is a problem. See text below from Myenergi and a bonkers way to design it. Tesla connect two chargers to L1 on single phase and leave L2 disconnected.

"If the e-Niro is charging from a single phase supply it appears to use a relay to physically connect the supply phases L1 and L2 together – presumably because the car has two 3.6kW single phase chargers that need to be connected in parallel to charge at 7kW from one phase".

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Reading the link, it states that Tesla M3 and the Zoe work correctly
"Correctly" is subjective if there is no agreed standard. "Correctly" as far as Zappi is concerned is because that's how they designed it presumably having seen how a Tesla and a Zoe implemented the charging routine? To then state boldly that someone else's solution is incorrect because they haven't done what Zappi wanted or expected them to do is a bit harsh. Maybe they should have thought about alternative solutions that might be used when they designed the charger?

Either way, it just shows what a farce the whole EV charging system still is :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts