Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an EV, needed a charger, and settled on the Myenergi Zappi - gets pretty solid reviews and my installer recommended it because he didn't need to add an earthing rod.

After three weeks with the device, I thought I'd share some experiences for others who might need to make a choice.

Summary: The product works "mostly", but it's not robust and fails easily. When it fails, the search for the reason is hampered by poor documentation. The upside is that they have a good telephone helpline, and the installation seems easy for electricians (lower earthing requirements compared to competing products).

Here's the detail. Warning: lengthy post. I thought I'd share my experiences because too many reviews are just along the lines of "it's great" without any colour.

I had the Zappi (wall charger) installed by a professional electrician about three weeks ago, at first without the "hub" (online connection). It worked for about a week. It then stopped working, showing absurd readings on the screen. Such as: the device indicated the house was drawing power from a solar panel, when in fact no solar panel is connected. Hours of searching for configuration and installation problems later, it turned out that the device "scrambled" its settings during a power failure. It required a reset to factory settings, reconfiguration, and then it worked again. The Myenergi forums indicate others have experienced similar situations (nonsensical readings on the Zappi screen).

After trying to fix this myself at first, I called the Myenergi helpline. They are friendly & helpful, but took me through several other steps (such as: reversing the current clamp in the installation) before finally suggesting I reset the device to factory settings. When I did that and asked whether anything else needs to be configured after the reset, they said "no". I then remembered that the installer had programmed a limit on the total power draw of the house because my house has a relatively low main supply fuse (60A). When I asked about that, I was told yes that is important to configure. Without my intervention, and just following the initial helpline advice, the device would've lacked the power limit after the reset.

Takeaway #1: Basic engineering flaw - embedded computers such as in the Zappi should not "forget" their configuration during a power failure. In this case, it was worse than "forgetting" - the device evidently got itself into state where it worked entirely incorrectly. That should never ever happen - indicates lacking safeguards in the software.

I then added a "hub" (Myenergi speak for the device that connects the charger to their servers so you can track & control it through a smartphone app).

The device wouldn't connect to the server no matter what I tried. The problem is that it comes with practically no documentation beyond a sheet with two links to online instructions how to set up the hub and how to update firmware. The usage of the hub is not explained in the documentation shipped with the device, and the online documentation is rather limited in scope. In particular, the network requirements are unclear - open ports, uPnP? I couldn't find any information even online. Turns out the device doesn't need this - would be good to know while you're searching for the reason why it doesn't connect to the server.

Takeaway #2: Poor documentation shipped with the hub, relevant information not even available online.

I then called the service hotline, and was told that the servers are being "played with" on the day so the hub wouldn't work. I assume they meant the servers are down for maintenance purposes. By that time, I had spent several hours trying to get it to work. There is no server status indicator online, of the sort that ISPs or webhosters implement routinely

Takeaway #3: Poor maintenance protocols for the production system where the live servers are taken out of service for extended periods. In proper products, the service isn't interrupted for hours on end to implement changes. Also, the fact that the system is not operational is not made public.

So all that happened yesterday. Today the hub connects to the server, so the servers are working again. I try to register the hub in the smartphone app again. I'm asked to set a password without instructions (how many characters min/max, special characters allowed/required). The registration process ends with "invalid credentials" in many attempts. I think maybe my password is not conforming to some rules, so try to register several times with different passwords, but the rules aren't stated anywhere.

More research reveals that the hub is already registered on the Myenergi server even though all my earlier attempts at registration ended with "invalid credentials". Now I don't know what password (of the many I tried) went through in the one successful registration.

But there's no function to reset a hub password online. The Myenergi forums contain repeated promises from company reps for such a function, including one from the CEO in mid-2019, but it's still not available.

Takeaway #4: Incoherent error messages in the app (blanket "invalid credentials" no matter what the problem is), and essential functions like online password reset not implemented more than a year after the company promised to do so.

Bottom line: An immature product offering that works "mostly" but fails easily. When it fails, there's weak support for self help (poor documentation, limited online information, and limited online support functionality). The upside is a good telephone hotline.

If I had known that this is a company putting an immature product into the market, I would've chosen a competing system.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Interesting, a fundamentally promising product let down by small issues that make the installation problematic. This is not a lone report of similar issues, which as a premium product that is not new to market is surprising and disappointing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not having the hub set up when the Zappi 2 was installed seems to have been contributory - my installer made sure it was connected and working, and left me with the password. I agree there info on the hub is a bit thin, and not provided in hard copy like the Zappi.

My Zappi 2 came bundled with the hub as it needed that to qualify as a"smart" charge point for the grant. Since then I have isolated the Zappi from the mains, and on repowering the settings seem to be in place.

Incidentally looking on the Myenergi forums they are still having server issues (there was a major incident with the main servers at the data centre a few days ago) today, and working on back up servers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Interesting. I'm getting PV installed this week and decided to get the Solaredge combined inverter and charger. Agonised over whether to go for it or get the Zappi. Was minded to support a small new British business but I liked that I could get a whole ecosystem with Solaredge as I can get their heater diverter too. Hoping I made the right choice...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Slightly nervous now as I'm just about to have a Zappi 2 installed as I wanted to support a local business - they are made 12 miles away from where I live. My local OLEV approved small business seemed to rate them highly and was very enthusiastic. I was also thinking of installing solar panels at a later date so this unit seems ideal for may future needs. Hopefully the product will mature and their communications with their customers re: planned server outages will improve. Fingers crossed....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Overall they seem to be very popular and we'll rated. All such products will have some issues

·
Registered
23 Posts
All the charge points I would expect rely on servers at data centres normally run by third parties, in common with most of the modern "connected" world (the internet of things). At least their back up was working. So far happy with our installation, and rate the company support and very active forum at myenergi and regular updates.

I must also correct my misreading of the Myenergi forum posts - their servers are back up and running as normal, and have been for some time!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting discussion. I also sympathise with the idea of supporting an innovative small business, British or not.

And maybe I really was a bit unlucky - maybe my power failure was nastier than usual (someone cut through the power cord with the hedge cutter so this will have been a bit of a bang), so hard for the device to deal with, and maybe I just happened to install the hub on a bad day, just when the company went through server issues.

Still, the overall experience counts, and it's been spotty for me. This is not an "install & forget" system. The Myenergi forums read mostly like an exchange among engaged enthusiasts, not man-on-the-street users. That's maybe the point here - this isn't a washing machine which simply works for 10 years without question. You're getting a fidgety device that works "mostly".

But the idea that "all" chargers will have issues like this? I cannot quite believe that, because the specific issues I've experienced all sound so avoidable. IT can be built reliably. Devices can be buiilt to survive power cuts without getting into undefined states. When IT isn't reliable, and devices just malfunction after loss of power, it's because companies cut corners, most likely for cost reasons. That's what I meant by calling this product "immature".

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
As a long term Zappi user I agree with most of your post. I have one of the early zappis and one of the latest ones and an Eddi, diverter to immersion heater.
If there was another product that did what the myenergi products do and works all the time I would have probably swapped at some point.
Now they are very close to being easy to use and with not too many issues.

My wife would swap for a dumb charger tomorrow as they have been a great time waster.

In their defence trying to work with so many different cars had been very time consuming. Every time a new car comes out there's a different interpretation of the charging protocol, many don't even follow the protocol correctly and some areas are covered vaguely so easily open to differing views.

Myenergi are working hard and constantly improving their product. Their servers are moving 'to the cloud' and that is supposed to improve the service greatly.

Would I recommend the Zappi?
I'm not sure. It's a great charger and I don't know of any other charger that does what it will do, but it can be frustrating at times. It is getting very close to being a great product.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My experience is similar to Woodulikes. Have had a v1 Zappi for about 2 years. SpeakEV pointed me in the right direction to configure it for my GTE when I got it (I suspect more of a GTE thing than a Zappi thing) then worked fine for 18 months. Adding Solar PV, Tesla powerwall, Eddi and a Myenergi hub was a bit of a faff but relatively painless (biggest issue was getting Zappi to work with GTE after firmware update - resolved quickly with support from SpeakEV and MyEnergi forums). Since then all worked fine barring an occasional glitch with connecting via the app.

Have had one power cut when the PV was exporting at full chat and the powerwall did not respond in time - upset my broadband router but the MyEnergi kit was fine.

Overall - Tesla app (for the Powerwall) is fast, simple and intuitive, but occasionally fails to connect

MyEnergi app (for the Zappi and Eddi) works but is a little slow. Occasionally fails to connect.

SolarEdge app (for the inverter) is basic and not particularly intuitive. Up until recently only authorised installers had setup access (even to connect to your home WiFi) but the latest app resolves this.

One app to do everything would be nice, but for me personally it would have required too much of a compromise

·
Registered
147 Posts
@ChrisCross 123 Interested in your choice of bits and pieces. Why spend on the Powerwall when you have one sitting on your drive, at least some of the time? I wait with bated breath for a reasonably priced Vehicle to House box to come along. Then I can charge my Leaf (62kWhr) on cheap leccy in the early hours, and draw from it to run my heat pump heating, so long as I'm not using the car - when I will be unlikely to need the heating anyway. And if the Eddi is to divert solar to water heating, have you considered heat pump water heating. I have this, and I also use solar thermal to preheat the domestic hw. I'm not setting out to be critical - but what I am conscious of is that all this kit comes at a price - usually a high one!

·
Registered
14 Posts
@David Ward - various reasons. From my perspective:

1. It is going to be some time before V2G or V2H is readily available, and even longer before CCS supports it. No disrespect to the Leaf or Leaf owners, but it is not the car for me.

2. Without the battery I would be exporting electricity during the day (when the car is not there) and buying it at night. I missed out on the FIT, and the limited number of tariffs that pay you for export don't make sense for me. For example with Octopus you can get paid for export OR get cheap night time electricity, not both.

I am on track to get 70% of my total electric (including hot water) from PV this year - without the battery it would be 40%.

3. The Eddi cost me £400 and took 15 minutes to install. I would be looking at 10 times the cost to get a heat pump installed for hot water.

I am considering air source heat pump for space heating, just keeping a watching brief on how the technology develops at the moment until finances allow.

·
Registered
837 Posts
@ChrisCross 123 Interested in your choice of bits and pieces. Why spend on the Powerwall when you have one sitting on your drive, at least some of the time? I wait with bated breath for a reasonably priced Vehicle to House box to come along. Then I can charge my Leaf (62kWhr) on cheap leccy in the early hours, and draw from it to run my heat pump heating, so long as I'm not using the car - when I will be unlikely to need the heating anyway. And if the Eddi is to divert solar to water heating, have you considered heat pump water heating. I have this, and I also use solar thermal to preheat the domestic hw. I'm not setting out to be critical - but what I am conscious of is that all this kit comes at a price - usually a high one!
What are the options for heat pump domestic hot water heating? I’ve seen cylinders with built in heat pumps but not seen a price. Looks expensive but heating DHW with an immersion uses a lot of electricity so also potentially expensive. The payback might justify it for those wanting to move away from fossil?

·
Registered
666 Posts
What are the options for heat pump domestic hot water heating? I’ve seen cylinders with built in heat pumps but not seen a price. Looks expensive but heating DHW with an immersion uses a lot of electricity so also potentially expensive. The payback might justify it for those wanting to move away from fossil?
Yes they do exist and if one was starting from scratch would be a good choice.

I believe the presumption that immersion is expensive is not correct.
Paticularly in the non CH period leccy compares favourably to gas boilers due to start/stop losses,pipe runs and dead legs. I use my pv diverter for all but about 25days a yr when i need a boost, but i am a low user.

However with the EV you should be on a cheap night time TOU tariff when you can pile on as much as you can. This would reduce the economics for the HP. This is largely FF free now and only set to get better.

Households need to work out the economics for themselves due to the widely different usage. The 2 of us use just less than 1000kwh/yr. I wonder how many have the foggiest idea how much they use.

I am always amused by how people seem to concentrate on the supply side of HW which they largely understand but largely ignore the less understood demand side of pipe runs,insulation, shower rates, shower heads and in the end just using less.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Households need to work out the economics for themselves due to the widely different usage. The 2 of us use just less than 1000kwh/yr. I wonder how many have the foggiest idea how much they use.
Very true. I have always kept a bit of an eye on fuel consumption, but done little about it bar the obvious turning stuff off when not in use and buying energy efficient appliances.

Getting the GTE and PV has made it really easy to see exactly what I am using where.

This winter will be the first time we are using gas solely for space heating, so it will be easy to see the feasibility of changing to heat pump.

·
Super Moderator
7,413 Posts
Interesting. I'm getting PV installed this week and decided to get the Solaredge combined inverter and charger. Agonised over whether to go for it or get the Zappi. Was minded to support a small new British business but I liked that I could get a whole ecosystem with Solaredge as I can get their heater diverter too. Hoping I made the right choice...
If you can use octopus agile and have a gas connection/boiler for heating water (and don't mind the CO2 output), don't buy a diverter. You will make more money selling your excess solar than it will cost to burn gas to heat the water.

Reactions: Mr_G

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you can use octopus agile and have a gas connection/boiler for heating water (and don't mind the CO2 output), don't buy a diverter. You will make more money selling your excess solar than it will cost to burn gas to heat the water.
I am thinking the environmental perspective though and moving away from gas over time. Agile would help electric hot water become cheaper and the solar would subsidise it further still so I can get closer to the gas cost. Long term plan to move away from gas, hot water first, then the hob then much later the heating...

·
Super Moderator
7,413 Posts
Fair enough, I feel pretty much the same way, but if you're motivated by cost the diverter doesn't make too much sense.

I'm hoping to go heat pump in 5 years or so. Though today I'm thinking I'd like to go for an air to air system that can both heat and cool a lot sooner as it's roasting!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Haha I thought that. I suspect air con will become much more widespread in UK in the future decades judging by four of the five hottest years on record being since 2000

1 - 20 of 20 Posts