Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this the other day and with an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle compatible with ELM327 protocol it seems to work a treat. I think it is also work in progress but certainly worth a look. I have hooked it up and it does produce some interesting displays and info.

MyGreenVolt on Google Play

MyGreenVolt app is a tool dedicated for Chevrolet Volt and Opel Ampera owners. The purpose is to bring up a numbers of hidden information to the driver to provide better utilization of the li-ion battery.

This application runs either on BlackBerry BB10 devices (Z10, Z30, Q10, etc.) or on Android devices. If you have an older devices running OS7 or a PlayBook, it will not work.

The developers web site with all the help info etc.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Looks very interesting indeed! I'll see if I can borrow an ODB2 Bluetooth dongle from a friend at work...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Unfortunately not compatible with my HTC phone. Nice idea though. Any chance of an iPad version?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Tried to find it on the UK Playstore using my Samsung Galaxy Ace - couldn't find it. Used the web browser on the phone and Googled it - found it and clicked install. After a lengthy to and fro eventually the Play Store is saying the app isn't compatible with my phone. Wish there was an IOS version, I have problems like this with the Android phone occasionally, hate it. I loathe Android, all the versions, some phones will not run apps unless they have enough memory etc. Cheap. Cant think of much else I like about it :)

Very frustrating, I was so looking forward to hooking it up to the OBD2 dongle I have had for some time. I got it to connect OK to the Torque app on the phone some time ago, but as the app didn't have any of the Volt/Ampera specific data definitions it shows little of interest. I found a big list of all the right data definitions but I've never got around to understanding the process of loading them into the Torque app and customising the app display etc..
:-(

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@hopbackguy - I have a Google Play App on the phone and I often find that when I use a web browser on the phone/desktop it says incompatible but using the App it always seems to work. I use an HTC One BTW.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a graph of some of the data I collected the other day. I have also attached the CSV raw data file so you can see what is collected. MGA is the generator acting as a motor and MGB is the main traction motor
upload_2014-8-31_15-12-26.png

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
@hopbackguy - I have a Google Play App on the phone and I often find that when I use a web browser on the phone/desktop it says incompatible but using the App it always seems to work. I use an HTC One BTW.
Yes but as I say, when I fire up Google Play Store using the app, it doesn't find MyGreenvolt. Which I assume is because it won't work on my version of Android. Or My phone. Or because it's cloudy out.... :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
I've ordered a bluetooth OBD2 dongle, downloaded the app and just waiting on the post. Here's hoping it works for me.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I would pay good money for an IOS version. I dont really fancy buying an android phone just to run the app, but the data geek in me wants to see what is going on !
Having said that, looking at the graph above, GM have at least given us a heads up with the energy flow meter on the newer models :D

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Setup my new Motorola Moto G phone today, installed mygreenvolt and connected it to the OBD dongle. Completely painless. Looking forward to a drive tomorrow to finally get a look at the innards of the Ampera in action :)

Have to say by the way, the phone is a bargain at £150, seems very well made and high quality software. Almost no crap installed over Android by the manufacturer either.

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
It worked fine for me on my Xperia M2, but to be honest I found it a faff to have to connect it every journey.

I've not bothered with it after the first few days use.

What useful additional information does it provide?

Derek

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
What useful additional information does it provide?
I'll guess your job or hobby has never been programming or technical Derek? ;):p The info doesn't have to actually be USEFUL, I just want to see all the numbers changing and see what the ICE is doing, etc. it's computers innit, I've got to know how it all ticks, it's got to be done!

·
1,324 Posts
I'll guess your job or hobby has never been programming or technical Derek? ;):p The info doesn't have to actually be USEFUL, I just want to see all the numbers changing and see what the ICE is doing, etc. it's computers innit, I've got to know how it all ticks, it's got to be done!
:D :D

Nope, never been a technical bod. Love computers but absolutely no idea about writing code or any of that "black arts" programming stuff. I just use them and squeal when they break......:oops:

I do understand though :cool:

Derek

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Two questions for existing mygreenvolt app users:
1) Using the Android version on Android 4.4.4. On the statistics tab, I only see two charts, with a scroll bar on the right, but I can't swipe further charts into view - it doesn't scroll. What am I doing wrong?
2) I saved the PID data to a log file on the phone - whats the best way of getting this onto the computer to analyze it - attach the phone using USB so it appears as external storage device and drag the file across?
...I'm not an experienced Android user (iOS man!) so hopefully the answers will be simple to those of you used to Android!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
1) Using the Android version on Android 4.4.4. On the statistics tab, I only see two charts, with a scroll bar on the right, but I can't swipe further charts into view - it doesn't scroll. What am I doing wrong?
Well, I found how to scroll the charts using that very very thin scroll bar shortly after I wrote the above post while I was out in the car! Still getting used to Android on this phone :)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Seems I need to install an app on my Mac called 'Android File Transfer' in order to transfer the log file from the phone with a USB connection.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Here is a graph of some of the data I collected the other day. I have also attached the CSV raw data file so you can see what is collected. MGA is the generator acting as a motor and MGB is the main traction motor
What program did you use to create the chart @RayG ? I'm struggling with the 'chart' functions of Numbers at the moment, its really clunky....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts