Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have a 2015, 24kwh Tekna. Since buying the car 2 years ago, I have had climate control set on 'auto' between 20/21 degrees. If it's cold, on startup, the heater blasts hot air out of the central and side vents warming up the car in no time, I love it. I've been using the 'Myleaf' App since I updated my phone to Android 10 and found the Nissan App no longer works. I turned on preheat via the app a couple of days ago which I rarely do, after 15 minutes or so I turned it off via the app and drove off. The car was warm for the entire 30 mile journey, It wasn't until the following morning I noticed 'auto' was off.

When I turned 'auto' back on I noticed the air had been diverted to the floor and the fan was at low revs (or at least seemed so) and the car took ages to warm up. When I use the 'mode' switch to divert the airflow to the central vents, it turns 'auto' off. I can manually re-create the original blast of hot air but not in 'auto.'

My question is, before I plough through the labyrinthine manuals, does anyone know how I can regain the original 'auto' settings? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As far as I know, auto is exactly what it says. It does what it needs to do in order to reach the temperature you've set and isn't programmable in any way. Has someone set a low temperature target? I must admit, that's not something I've played around with very much though, I tend to just leave it on auto and haven't needed a preheat yet. I'll take a look later but I can't imagine why 'auto' would be programmable...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, I tend to agree with your summation. What confuses me is that the car has always blasted hot air out of the central vents when switching on in cold weather. It now uses the floor vents at a low fan speed in similar temperatures. I'm assuming the settings it uses are based on a combination of internal and external temperature sensors.

I've noticed that when the cabin temperature is extremely hot (unusual in UK), it switches to a re-circulatory airflow for a couple of minutes to bring the temperature down rapidly and then reverts to normal operation. I've never felt the need to use any settings other than 'auto.'

I've only used pre-heat 3 times in the 2 years I've had the car, always using the Nissan App. To the best of my knowledge Nissan's app has never switched the 'auto' setting off after pre-heat. The fact that it was off after pre-heating with 'Myleaf' may, of course, be a coincidence. I guess a delve into the manuals is the next step.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Recently took Leaf for service and all timers were reset. Climate control temperature was also reset

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car had a major service in September but the climate control temperature was untouched. They did mess with the audio system but I presume this was for their own entertainment during the service.

Referring to the manual it seems PJM MK was correct and the auto settings are not programable apart from turning on/off automatic air intake control. I guess I'll just see how it performs in the coming days.

The warranty expires next month so if it turns out to be faulty, I don't have long to report it.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The car had a major service in September but the climate control temperature was untouched. They did mess with the audio system but I presume this was for their own entertainment during the service.

Referring to the manual it seems PJM MK was correct and the auto settings are not programable apart from turning on/off automatic air intake control. I guess I'll just see how it performs in the coming days.

The warranty expires next month so if it turns out to be faulty, I don't have long to report it.
I had an issue with just out of warranty repair.. Had to raise an issue with Nissan CS. They after 2 weeks agreed to cover the cost. Repair scheduled for next Friday

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
194 Posts
Paid a bit more attention to what my car was doing last night and, like yours, on auto it doesn't like those centre vents at all. I felt a slight trickle of warm air coming from them occasionally but most of the time it was directing to the windscreen and footwells. To be fair though, that's exactly what I'd have had it doing if I'd run it on manual. Having said that, I don't like it too hot in my car, I have the target temperature set to 18 so it doesn't take long to reach anyway.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I assume that the car will concentrate all its efforts on directing warm air to demist and defrost, so centre vents not particularly used.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paid a bit more attention to what my car was doing last night and, like yours, on auto it doesn't like those centre vents at all. I felt a slight trickle of warm air coming from them occasionally but most of the time it was directing to the windscreen and footwells. To be fair though, that's exactly what I'd have had it doing if I'd run it on manual. Having said that, I don't like it too hot in my car, I have the target temperature set to 18 so it doesn't take long to reach anyway.
I'm beginning to wonder if the temperature hasn't dropped low enough to trigger the central vent airflow and high fan speed lately. Perhaps the 'Myleaf' pre-heat was coincidental. As you said, 'auto' setting is not programmable, according to the manual. There doesn't seem to be a fault with the heating system so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FYI myleaf triggers the same process as the nissan app does, so it wont be anything specific to that. As others have said, my "auto" has always (to my knowledge) kicked in with feet and windscreen settings

1 - 12 of 12 Posts