Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be contacting Polar / British Gas directly to get them to come out, but thought I would share here to see if anyone has any good suggestions on the root cause.

I have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and a Polar rapid charger installed at home. Whenever I plug it into the Polar it triggers a fault in the car (photo's attached).

Through a process of deduction its not the car as it charges fine at the dealer who ran diagnostics on it, and I can charge it from a standard 13 amp socket at home using the Mitsubishi supplied charging cable.

There must be something wrong with the Polar but I'm at a loss to think what. It passed its installation inspection and I have only attempted to use it like 4 times since it was installed, no error light comes up on the Polar front panel, and nothing trips on the circuit.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Yes the Polar unit will be the culprit, I am on my 3rd one, they arent very good from my experience anyway, I dare hardly use mine and just use the brick that come with the car, I regret having the Type-2 Polar charger fitted and should have gone with the Rolec socket and just use my own lead, in hindsight was a mistake, going tethered is a big mistake esp if you plan on changing brands as I do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all.

Will see what they say. Only upside is I just managed to get it installed free of charge before the grant scheme finished.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Thanks all.

Will see what they say. Only upside is I just managed to get it installed free of charge before the grant scheme finished.
Is the 13.3MPG quoted in your signature accurate....?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the 13.3MPG quoted in your signature accurate....?
Nope. I've not been OCD about recording stuff as I should. It will get more accurate over time if I can be bothered!!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The grant scheme hasn't finished though or do you just mean BG have stopped?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shouldn't be surprised, but BG and their contractors are incapable of communicating and there is clearly no process or training for post installation issues. 7 separate conversations and one no show appointment today, just bouncing between the two companies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi James, just been reading your post have you sorted the problem out with the Polar (ChargeMaster) charger I have the same problems with my 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVE GX4h, my previous car was a Nissan Leaf and the charger worked perfectly with it. The problem only happens when it is on the timer.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I'm on my 3rd poolar charger. Total rubbish. Their customer services will threaten you with a call out charge when you call.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm on my 3rd poolar charger. Total rubbish. Their customer services will threaten you with a call out charge when you call.
Yes I have been trying to get them to correct it for three months now, worked fine with the Leaf I think its a communication problem with the Outlander but they won't admit it, has anybody had or has the same problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
After trying to get ChargeMaster to sort out my charger for 4 months now and without any helpful response I have decided to bin it and have install a Rolec charger it's working perfectly fine without any problems.

It seems to me that the ChargeMaster unit has an over complicated motherboard and the Rolec doesn't I would advise anyone especially Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV owners to ignore the leaflet that comes with the car suggesting that you purchase a ChargeMaster unit and go for the Rolec unit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hello James - nice to see you here :)

One thing that I noticed on some units is that the plug can be a little out of spec. On one that I regularly use, I have to make sure it is firmly shoved in otherwise it complains about a fault. On some of the Ecotricity ones, I have to hold it up before charging will kick in.

In your case, it is possible that there's a fault with the unit - but worth experimenting with holding the cable while the charge starts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After trying to get ChargeMaster to sort out my charger for 4 months now and without any helpful response I have decided to bin it and have install a Rolec charger it's working perfectly fine without any problems.

It seems to me that the ChargeMaster unit has an over complicated motherboard and the Rolec doesn't I would advise anyone especially Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV owners to ignore the leaflet that comes with the car suggesting that you purchase a ChargeMaster unit and go for the Rolec unit.
Could also try shopping around a bit, there are a lot of good products out there that also have a modular component design like ours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could also try shopping around a bit, there are a lot of good products out there that also have a modular component design like ours.
Thanks for your reply, I wonder how many EV drivers out there understand the difference between the two I certainly didn't a modular design is definitely the way to go rather than the complicated motherboard type.

I certainly would have looked at your Chargers had I understood the difference between the two, once again thanks for your post lets hope this will help others.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I built a charger using the Viridian controller and it works fine with a 2016 PHEV.

Would definitely recommend a modular unit over those with complicated motherboards, much easier to replace individual modules on a DIN rail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
my home charger failed on monday, called weds after charging on two others (just to make sure it was the charger not the car) booked in engineer for this afternoon... came as promised swapped the faulty one.. all working again.... pretty good service I would say...... just my experience for what it's worth... (had the charger 11 months)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts