Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I being really dense here?
I’ve done a home charge, and a rapid charge, no problems there. Just home charging you 80% for tomorrow, sitting in the car reading the manual. I can’t work out, or find in the manual what this button does? Please, someone put me out of my misery. Also, why is the a big ‘P’ park button on the forward/reverse knob when there’s a park toggle switch 6 inches below? Is it actually a park switch.....I’ve only used the toggle switch.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,124 Posts
P on the right is for the front parking sensors to turn them on or off.

P on the knob is P gearbox lock

P on the lift up switch is the handbrake.

You'd think the could have thought up a few more names!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's always on automatics. Means if the handbrake fails the car doesn't roll away. It's like leaving a manual in gear when you turn off the engine.
So, according to the manual (and I’ve checked on a hill) when you turn off the car, the handbrake engages. But you also have a self engage handbrake, and a motor lock park brake. But you don’t really need to use the latter 2?

I’ve no experience of auto cars. The only autos I’ve driven are lorries, but then air brakes can’t fail, and if they do they lock on.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,124 Posts
I always use both. Some EVs will go into P and put the handbrake on automatically if you turn the car off. There's only 2 the handbrake /EPB and the P gearbox lock. The p button down the side of the wheel turns the parking sensors off and on. That's nothing to do with brakes.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Just curious... OP, when you pull up to a stop, and the car is in D for drive, do you just leave it in drive and switch off? The normal procedure would be to put the car in P (P button on gear knob) when you have come to a complete stop, apply handbrake and then switch off, wouldn't it?

I presume that your UK spec car is the same gear knob-wise as the 2018 US version?...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Automatic transmissions have a "parking pawl" which engages when the shifter is in "P(ark)". This locks the transmission and stops the car moving. A bit like leaving a manual car in gear, but it doesnt rely on the engine for the holding torque its integral to the transmission itself. Its a standard feature on all Autos, and on modern stuff with electronic controls, Park is automatically engaged when you turn the car off.

The ((P)) on the console is the "handbrake", which actuates the cars rear brakes to stop the car moving. Again, many cars with electronic handbrakes will automatically engage this if you switch the ignition off, you'll often hear the motors whizz for a few seconds as the caliper is wound on.

So yes, its entirely possible you dont need to use either control, and simply turning the car off with both engage the handbrake and put the transmission into Park.

The controls are still provided because there are occasions when you might want to use them while the car is on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm. I only ever drive in ePedal mode, and the car stops and holds itself indefinitely (using the handbrake/rear brakes I’m guessing?) so I can’t see me ever using the handbrake switch with the power on....or off?!? Not sure if the car rolls in non ePedal mode? I’ll have the check that out.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Hill hold type systems typically use the main hydraulic brakes, not the handbrake.
I would imagine the pedal is the same.

I suppose as an example, if you got out the car while it was running to put something in the boot or to offload passengers, you wouldn't leave it in drive on epedal... You'd put it in park and engage the handbrake.

Similarly if parked waiting on someone.

There are many situations where you might want to leave the car on, to keep the climate control etc operational, but don't want it sitting in drive.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Just curious... OP, when you pull up to a stop, and the car is in D for drive, do you just leave it in drive and switch off?
That’s what I do with my Leaf, just brake to a stop then turn it off. Unless I’m on a really steep hill and then I put the parking brake on. Then take a deep breath and pray it disengages when I want to leave!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hill hold type systems typically use the main hydraulic brakes, not the handbrake.
I would imagine the pedal is the same.

I suppose as an example, if you got out the car while it was running to put something in the boot or to offload passengers, you wouldn't leave it in drive on epedal... You'd put it in park and engage the handbrake.

Similarly if parked waiting on someone.

There are many situations where you might want to leave the car on, to keep the climate control etc operational, but don't want it sitting in drive.
Yes I use it for this too. Also, engaging the P on the knob holds the car in queuing traffic without need for the foot brake, preventing dazzle for the driver behind. One of my (many) irritations on the road...

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
...I suppose as an example, if you got out the car while it was running to put something in the boot or to offload passengers, you wouldn't leave it in drive on epedal... You'd put it in park and engage the handbrake. Similarly if parked waiting on someone. There are many situations where you might want to leave the car on, to keep the climate control etc operational, but don't want it sitting in drive.
^^This

I have a manual driving licence, but I assume that the automatic driving test would encourage the Stop - Press P to engage gearbox park - engage Handbrake method of driving. That's the way you would do it in an automatic fossil car.

I know that EVs will switch it to Park automatically when you switch off, but I think it's good practise to do it the conventional way in an EV as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes I use it for this too. Also, engaging the P on the knob holds the car in queuing traffic without need for the foot brake, preventing dazzle for the driver behind. One of my (many) irritations on the road...
I never need to hold the car with the brake on the road ? In e pedal mode it just stays where it is anyway ? Is it different without the e pedal on ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I never need to hold the car with the brake on the road ? In e pedal mode it just stays where it is anyway ? Is it different without the e pedal on ?
I understand that when in epedal mode, the car applies the friction brake and also the rear lights at standstill. Pressing the P on the knob in either mode disengages the friction brake (as well as the motor), which is why the car rocks a bit.

Roger Mellie would have a field day with this topic, by the way...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts