Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now driven 1250 miles in my Outlander, including two big trips, one to Heathrow and one to Northumberland. On both longer trips I noticed a periodic soft 'bong' sound, but cannot track it down. It happens so infrequently and I can never see any warning on the dash, etc. My best theory is that it marks some loss of range, say 10 miles.

Anyone else had this and/or figured it out?

Please help, otherwise I may be forced to do the unthinkable ... and read the cars manual!

Eugene

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Don't get a Zoe, it will drive you mad with bongs and pings - no idea what they are but think it warns of speed cameras amongst other things......

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Its the curve warning bong, you can disable it. Its somewhere in the Navi Menu - it took me a while to locate it.

I always expect the sat-nav to blurt "Crew doors to manual" after the bong.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Brilliant. This will save so many lives. (And even more if people knew what it meant ) :)
I think I will patent one linked to the clock to warn people when it's about to get dark.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I have active cruise control, but thats definitely a different kind of beep. The curve one sounds exactly like the cabin crew call on a airbus.

There are definitely too many beeps going on, but this seems a common theme with Japanese cars.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhh, the mysterious bong of mystery. It drove me crazy trying to figure out what it was.

If there's a sharp bend ahead and it thinks you're going fast enough to warrant a warning.
At last ... a helpful remark!

Its the curve warning bong, you can disable it. Its somewhere in the Navi Menu - it took me a while to locate it.

I always expect the sat-nav to blurt "Crew doors to manual" after the bong.
Off to sit in my car for half an hour messing with the Navi menu! :)

Thanks to my two helpful correspondents!

Eugene

·
Registered
496 Posts
Since I have yet to hear the bong of mystery, does that mean I am a) driving an inferior level of Outlander without Adaptive Cruise Control, b) a careful driver and don't approach corners too fast, c) someone who has already played with their Navi settings too much and has disabled the feature, d) deaf, or e) all of the above?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I have yet to hear the bong of mystery, does that mean I am a) driving an inferior level of Outlander without Adaptive Cruise Control, b) a careful driver and don't approach corners too fast, c) someone who has already played with their Navi settings too much and has disabled the feature, d) deaf, or e) all of the above?
e

·
Registered
496 Posts
Succinct :) and probably true :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Another indicator of the curve bong is a yellow warning diamond in the top right of the sat-nav screen under the time (next to speed limit)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
That seems such a strange function, is it a distinct sound unlike any other warning sound in the vehicle? Otherwise it seems that a generic "bong" as you approach a potentially dangerous bend in the road "too quickly" is perhaps an unwise choice of alert?

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I think they ran out of other beeps by the time they got to that warning :p

Its definitely distinct, the other beeps and bongs tend to be quite high pitched. And depending on severity repeated, FCM beeps repeatedly for example.

I suppose the other thing is that the bong for the curves is handled by the sat-nav only (sound is via speakers and not dash beeper), the other beeps handled by other bits of hardware. There isn't much convergence of tech like my i3 where everything runs through iDrive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts