Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...107k 91.5 and rising
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this 'spare' connector is for? It sits in the boot on the left hand side (nearside) where the fuse block is. It has two rows of six flat pins and on the cream cap is written "1-12". Seems to have five wires going in at the bottom - all unhelpfully green. Can't see any reference to it in the schematics in the service manual.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Probably not too helpful but one of our MGFs had a CD magazine/changer in the boot that had a similar connection.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think a CD changer was ever offered as an option but its the best idea so far :giggle:

My guess its probably some sort of diagnostic port but no idea what for.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I've got it. The GM diagnostic connector is 12 pin and you can get converter cables to link to standard OBD2 connection

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,881 Posts
Don't assume a part of a wiring loom has any purpose on a modern car. I think this is some sort of diagnostic but it might also be a 'vestigial' part that was fitted for some purpose long forgotten and not used.

For example ..... have you ever spotted the diesel glow plug light on the Ampera dash board? You can sometimes spot it in strong sunlight at a certain angle, I think it is bottom right.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've have been driving round in circles whenever the sun has shone trying to see the hidden symbols :LOL:

Just reading another old post from @donald noting that the Voltec power train first appeared in the Saturn Flextreme concept - with a diesel ICE. Maybe when they designed the Volt dash they were not sure which way they would jump?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,881 Posts
That's exactly what happened. There was intended to be some sort of choice/proper decision, but AFAIK at the end of it the level of interest to get it 'perfect' was less than GMs bigger issues, so the 'Family 0' engine was picked due to price, cost, understanding, demonstrated robustness.

A diesel PHEV sounds like a good idea at first but when you add in the need for start up from cold (usually at immediate notice to high power), extra service operations (for an engine that might only do 10% of the 'actual' road miles), very slow to heat up in the cold if a very efficient diesel, so would not be able to take full advantage of fuel-delivered heating, etc..

In fact, if you do the calculation for someone doing, say, 25% ICE-powered miles, you see that cost wise you save something of the order of £500 for the whole service life of the car. Really not worth the liability of cost, functionality, NVH, emissions, etc, etc, the Family 0 was, really, the only sensible decision for existing ICE in the GM parts bin.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just couldn't leave this so I inspected the drivers display with a torch and can confirm there are two 'hidden' symbols that are not mentioned in either the Ampera or Volt driver manuals, and shown below in colour.

The diesel glowplug symbol has been discussed above. The BRAKE symbol seems to be a US variant of the more common
symbol, "indicating a serious problem with the brakes, but the light will also be on when the hand, or emergency, brake is engaged". Why the car would have been designed to have both symbols only GM knows (especially since the Volt doesn't use it either), but it seems to have been disabled on the production vehicles AFAIK.

There do not seem to be any more Easter Eggs in the two topmost blank spaces though. Disappointed 🥺

1 - 8 of 8 Posts