Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We're a small team developing new type of electric vehicle - called ''Narcine''.
We tried to race the prototype of our electric trike against a car in rush hour Sofia, Bulgaria. The trike is low power - 500W, 25km/h limited, with no pedal assist and the distance we had to cover was about 5km. in the dense urban centre. Try to guess who won, or watch the video and tell me what you think:)

Narcine - Electric Vehicle for Urban Mobility

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It looks great fun, but it would be a pain to use here in the UK.
It would have to be registered, taxed and insured as it's over the 250 Watt limit for electric cycles and it doesn't have pedals. It would have to be "type approved" by our safety people and you'd have to wear a motorcycle crash helmet.

All the very best with your project, it looks great, I hope you sell loads of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Actually, there're some exceptions to the ''type approval'' rules.These include (250) pedelecs, self-balancing vehicles and vehicles with low-seating positions. As Narcine's seat is pretty close to the ground there's a good chance that it wouldn't need type approval in the EU. (I hope this means UK as well:))

Other than that, I believe the CEN is deveveloping a new regulatory document, especially for Personal light electric vehicles (PLEVs), that is supposed to be published next year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have the second version of our cool scooter ready - Narcine 2.0
Here are some of the features and upgrades of the new version.
- Less wheels (2), but more thrills!
- Cooler design
- More braking power
- Better ride comfort
- More ground clearance
I hope you like it:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks JJ,

The scooter is supposed to be ridden mostly on bicycle paths and parks. As far as I know to be legal on the road it has to be type approved and needs license plate, insurance and added mirrors, blinkers, etc.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thanks JJ,
The scooter is supposed to be ridden mostly on bicycle paths and parks. As far as I know to be legal on the road it has to be type approved and needs license plate, insurance and added mirrors, blinkers, etc.
That looks like a really cool scooter. :)

The laws in the UK require an electric bicycle to work as "pedal assist" - it can't have a throttle. They also have a maximum power of 250W, and can only provide assistance at speeds of under 15 mph. Anything that is in excess of these falls under the rules for motorbikes/scooters and needs license plates, mirrors, insurance etc. (and you can't ride it on bike paths or pavements or in parks).
Electric bikes: licensing, tax and insurance - GOV.UK

Electric bicycle laws vary according to country, I don't believe there is an EU standard - you should probably look into the laws for the countries you wish to sell it in if this is more than a fun experiment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, JJ

Two reasons :
- The weight is pretty far back, so the rear wheel is doing most of the braking
- V-brake was easier to install on this kind of rim :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts