Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, my first post. I hope I am not duplicating a previous thread. I have been trying to decide which car to buy. As a family of 5 we’re looking for a small car to run in addition to our diesel Smax. I love the Honda but the range is just a little too low and the boot’s a little too small for our dog. So it’s down to the i3 and the VW ID3. I am leaning toward the i3 as it feels like a premium machine, although the VW is more practical. The main issue is that on the test drive my kids complained of nausea in the i3 whereas they didn’t for the vw and the honda. I am wondering if it’s something to do with suspension, or driving position, or the regen, or simply the new car smell which is super strong in both the cars we tried. Has anyone else experienced nausea when driving the car? Does it go away? Thanks!

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,155 Posts
It'll likely be the fast acceleration and aggressive regenerative braking in the i3. If you're not used to it it is very easy to make passengers feel sick. It should improve after a bit of practice to take it easy, make the ride smoother and getting used to controlling regen with slight movements on the accelerator pedal rather than lifting off, finding it's slowed down too soon, then having to give it more power again and then end up braking yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It could be that. I was not the smoothest driver. But I also drove the Mini E and the Honda E which both have the aggressive regen, and they didn’t have the same problem.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
2019 BMW i3 120Ah
1,613 Posts
Make sure you are in Eco Pro mode.

Be very gentle both depressing and lifting off the accelerator.

You’ll get used to it and will soon be ultra smooth - it can be driven like a limo if you want (except for the ride quality that is).

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,183 Posts
Does the I3 have windows that open at the back now? If not I'd avoid it frankly if it makes them queasy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure you are in Eco Pro mode.

Be very gentle both depressing and lifting off the accelerator.

You’ll get used to it and will soon be ultra smooth - it can be driven like a limo if you want (except for the ride quality that is).
Thanks, maybe that’s the trick. I did get a bit excited by the acceleration (it was actually an i3s).

But the mini was also super speedy and was a one pedal drive.

I can’t help thinking it’s due to the higher driving position.

·
2019 BMW i3 120Ah
1,613 Posts
Well, all I can say is no one has ever complained of feeling sick when driven by me in my i3.

I felt a slight queasiness for a few seconds just once when Mrs Bill first drove me in it, but as soon as she got the feel for the accelerator that stopped.

Which car did you test first?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did you check visibility from the back seat of each car? I used to get really bad nausea in the back of cars because I couldn't see where I was going. Maybe the problem is they can't see enough in the i3 to avoid travel sickness?

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
729 Posts
The i3 has great visibility in the back thanks to its lowered window line. The rear windows don’t open tho’.

im wondering if its the quick steering and skinny tyres that’s the problem, it causes the car to be a bit fidgety and less planted than the norm. Probably worse in the hands of a new driver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to thank you all for input. This is a friendly place!

I am still in two minds. I am reminded that not being able to open the rear windows is not great for the dog either. But it sounds like the nausea is probably more about my driving than the car.

I test drove the VW ID3 and it feels more like a 'normal' car. But it lacks the quality, there is no doubt about that. I also have yet to get a price from the dealer, so it may be out of my range.

Anyway thanks again folks.:)

·
2019 BMW i3 120Ah
1,613 Posts
Might be worth another go in the i3 with kids again to see if it’s repeated. You are likely to have a better feel for it second time around - and make sure in Eco Pro mode to dull the throttle response too.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
526 Posts
It's certainly true that the i3 isn't insurable for five people.
And my kids complain about the complete lack of ventilation in the rear too. The windows don't open, there's no vents. The visibility isn't great either as the rear door has a very high waistline.
And yes the ultra-smooth acceleration and braking does make for a nausea-inducing ride sometimes. Plus, on the standard car, the tyres make the ride really wiggly. I didn't like that aspect at all. The 20" alloys make the ride usefully firmer. AND, the short wheelbase and high seating position contribute, if the car pitches over undulations you don't "rotate" as you would in a lower car where you sit between the wheels, you pitch fore and aft with the car, that takes some getting used to.

All that said, the i3 is way cooler than the ID3. :)

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
37 Posts
We looked at the i3 but ruled it out as we still do school run and having to open passenger door to open rear doors was too much juggling - its basically a 2 door car that removes the need to lean the seat to let rear passengers out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe they just didn't like the i3 and wanted to let you down gently. Mini is cooler 😎
in the cool stakes, the honda wins hands down. they loved the honda. but range is only 100miles real world and the boot is too small for dog. arggh!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts