Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other threads suggest that the satnav is not the e-nirio's best feature. However, most of the time it does what I want. However, the recent software upgrade (up to 3 Mar I believe) was a step backwards for me. The previous version had a useful feature where you could input coordinates (lat and lon) directly. I used this to pinpoint a spot on the map used as a starting point for a hike (public footpath, etc) or a place where a postcode is too vague.

Since the upgrade, some software genius has combined this into a general search. There are two problems with this. 1) If using decimal degrees, the numbers and decimal point and comma are on different screens, so you constantly have to switch between them. 2) If you try using deg/min/sec, it's worse because it's not clear which ' or " to use. The input process tries to be clever and uses "66" opening quotes for the lat and matching "99" closing quotes for the lon. As someone in the software business for years, I would sack the person who designed this, plus the person who obviously didn't test it.

Unless I'm missing something obvious? I could use Google of course, but why should I? At the price paid, I would expect such a basic feature as satnav to work reasonably well. My previous 17 year old Mondeo did this better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are other peculiarities too. I just searched for the "Aviva Stadium" here in Dublin and after I'd typed in just the Aviva part, it came up with 3 hits ... Aviva Stadium, Aviva Stadion and Estadio Aviva! All exactly the same place, so it's not as if there's an Aviva stadium in Germany or Spain. Very odd.

That's a bit of a PITA about the Lat/Lon input being screwed up. I used that a lot too for exactly the same thing as you, obscure starting points for hikes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another option is to input the co-ordinates on Uvo and then send to the car. I know it's a bit of faff, but I think it will may your needs.

Reactions: Billy the Kid

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
327 Posts
Another option is to input the co-ordinates on Uvo and then send to the car. I know it's a bit of faff, but I think it will may your needs.
Nice one, get the coordinates from google maps drop pin copy and paste into UVO and sent to the car. I will be using this, postcode quite often are too big an area to be precise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a useful tip, thanks.

Meanwhile, I have experimented with direct input to the satnav. I can get the decimal degree method to work. For example, Leeds station entrance is at
N53.795094 W1.546972
To input these, I first type the digits:
53795094 1546972
I then switch to the "punctuation" screen and input the dots and minus (for deg W) and end up with
53.795094, -1.546972
This seems to work. Using other maps, e.g. Streetmap, which is good for the UK as it has the OS 25k and 50k maps, I can use the coordinate conversion feature to get the same result.

However. I have tried and failed to input the deg/min/sec format. In the above example, this would be
N53:47:42 W1:32:49
The satnav hint suggests
53° 47' 42" 1° 32' 49"
But for the life of me, I cannot get this to work. First, it doesn't explain how to distinguish N/S and E/W. I've tried the letters, but end up finding a vague match in Poland over 1000 miles away. The minus sign for W doesn't seem to work either. And when you input quotes, it tries to be clever and puts the first quote in as a ʻ and the second in as a ʼ (6 and 9 if you can't see these). Haha, I thought, I can beat you! So I entered ʻʼ (69) in both places, then edited one out (same trick for double quotes). Tried both types, no luck. I've tried various other formats, but nope.

So, it's broken. Though not quite literally yet - my hammer is stil in the toolbox.

And yes, I probably do have better things to do, but never could resist a challenge.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Blue link user here on the UVO map zoom in to where you want to be and touch the point you are going to then send to car simples. You can probably get the address in the search bar, much better than trying to find it with the address input in navigation. You can also set a destination by dragging the map in the car to the required location, a set of cross hairs appear when over the destination press set as destination

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some interesting suggestions here.

First, I tried UVO, using a street address I know well. Selected the address, hit Send to Car, app reports success. Go to the car, look for the entry - nope. I've tried this several times now, and the selected address just doesn't seem to appear in the car's navigation. Can anyone give me any pointers? I have the 210225... software (purple horrorshow).

The direct method (using map in car) works OK, but sometimes it simply isn't convenient to search the car's map. I do a lot of hiking and geocaching, and often start off with just a set of coordinates.

With a car costing over 30K, I would expect something simple like this to work.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,505 Posts
@mark400v In my Soul, the first thing when I start the car, is a popup that comes up on the central screen. With something like "sent to car" message with the address. The popup usually has a button like "Set as destination".

The other way to find an address you have sent to the car, in case the popup doesn't show up/miss it. Go to NAV, then select "previous destinations". And there was something like another tab "sent to car", which lists all my addresses, that I have sent remotely.

EDIT: now on 210225, first shows up the USER screen, but when I choose the correct user, I still get the popup. Are you sure, you have the same user on both the phone and car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@mark400v

EDIT: now on 210225, first shows up the USER screen, but when I choose the correct user, I still get the popup. Are you sure, you have the same user on both the phone and car?
Aha - User! You could be right. Didin't check that, will do so this p.m.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, thanks Todor, the destinations were going into the Guest profile, not mine. At least that one's now sorted.(y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can I ask an even more basic question? How do you input postcodes into the eNiro Sat Nav? Its not obvious to me (although I may be being somewhat dense). Thanks

·
Registered
562 Posts
Can I ask an even more basic question? How do you input postcodes into the eNiro Sat Nav? Its not obvious to me (although I may be being somewhat dense). Thanks
Just type it in to the default search field.

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice one, get the coordinates from google maps drop pin copy and paste into UVO and sent to the car. I will be using this, postcode quite often are too big an area to be precise.
I do exactly that. Get address/coordinates from Google and then paste then into the app and send to car, even when I'm inside the car.

If Google Maps were integrated in the display in front of the driver I wouldn't use the Kia navigation, but I like to get directions in front of me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts