Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 141 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
It is a good example of how poor the satnav is in the Ampera for the UK market, even though you enter all the required data, short postcode and Road name the satnav cannot get you anywhere near.

This is a typical example that unless you can input the full post code you will not be able to find the address, there are many examples in the UK where you only get a building name and road, or in this case a building down a road off the named road, all cases of which you will need a secondary method to the Ampera satnav of finding the place you want to visit.

Gary
Delivered 17th May
5400 miles
102mpg ave
Happy as Larry ( apart from the satnav, does it tell?)

· Premium Member
12,845 Posts
I rarely use the short postcode. I use the town and street, just like our USA cousins ;-)

I use the Swindon dealer and got there fine using the nav. Not sure if it was under points of interests?

I do agree that full postcodes would be useful, but new it did not do them before I ordered.

I think some other manufacturers have done upgrade with a map update - so chargeable.

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
@Proddick

I think the point I was making here is that you cannot even do 5 digit post codes. GU3 3HQ just cannot be entered so you could never get there. Because there is no house number using the town/street just does not work.

· Registered
49 Posts
The onboard satnav is OK if the address is straight forward. I needed to find an isolated cottage today with no street name and not in a village. Only a post code could find it. needless to say the Ampera satnav could not cope. I tried the short post code which took me to within 1 mile of the house. It was my IPhone that got me there in the end.

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Even straightforward addresses cannot be entered as there are many places that the sat nav does not recognise. Too often I try to put in a town/village name and it does not exist. If that happens then the sat nav is 100% useless - thank goodness for an old smart phone.

I think I would have to say the sat nav is just not "Fit for Purpose" and I think I am going to pursue things on those grounds.

· Registered
9,328 Posts
Ray, can you PM or email me re this please if you do decide to take this up with anyone as I too also feel quite strongly that it is just not fit for purpose. I paid over £2000 for that and the other extras and I feel that we should not have to be buying TomTom's or using our phones just to find places.

If anyone else feels the same and would also like to join in with anything that we might do to take it up with Vauxhall then please also get in touch.

I am going to speak to trading standards as a starting point and see what they have to say about it.

· Registered
9,328 Posts
Thanks. If anyone else, at any time, also thinks that the SatNav is just not fit for purpose and wants to join in these efforts then just add your name to this list or PM me if you don't want to go public and I will respect your privacy in that.

I am not going to have a lot of time over the next couple of weeks to do further investigations but I will do what I can. If anyone else wants to speak to your local trading standards office I suggest you do that and get their opinion. It will need us to all deal with our local office anyway if we decide to do anything about it so introducing yourself now will only help.

If it does go quiet for a week or so don't worry, I will be on the case soon :)

· Registered
22 Posts
I have owned my Ampera since early May and am delighted with it EXCEPT the SatNav. I have been in communication with Trevor over the last few months, and had also mentioned that I did not consider it fit for purpose. I could go into the reasons, but they have all been covered. Unfortunately Trevor has not managed to get back to me to date. Paul - please can you add me to your list.

· Registered
22 Posts
Just to advise that Trevor has now moved on to another project, and Ampera questions are being handled by Angela.
Angela says that their project team are reviewing the SatNav based on the feedback they have received, and we can expect an answer within a few weeks as to what they will be changing (if anything).
I am certainly looking forward to their response.

· Registered
9,328 Posts
Had another place not findable with the SatNav on the Ampera. It was a caravan park. Most of the time caravan parks are in the country and do not have a road number, or even a road name, in their address.

Fortunately I had my TomTom with me and I used that.

I now feel very strongly that I have been "done" with the SatNav. Over £2000 for the upgrade to include the Sat Nav and I can't use it and have to have a TomTom in the car at all times now.

I consider that this SatNav is not of merchantable quality and will be persuing this next week. Please, I urge you all, if you feel the same regarding the SatNav report it to MyAmpera and say you will be taking this further. I want Vauxhall to address this urgently and if they don't then I want compensation. I have spent money in good faith that the SatNav would be useable... it isn't :evil:

· Registered
22 Posts
Just to clarify my posting above, - our new contact at MyAmpera is Angela Kelly (0800 0260275).
I have also been trying to input another address that cannot be found. I had to use Multimap on my PC, then use this map to pinpoint the same position on the SatNav map !!! Madness.
I would not have stood a chance if I had wanted to do this on the road.

I have also resorted to using my old TomTom on some occasions.

I trust that GM are taking this seriously, as anything less than a 7 digit postcode 'fix' will certainly result in me seeking compensation at the least. Signed Mr Angry.

41 - 60 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.