Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I frequently have trouble entering a new address or destination in to the navigation system as only certain letters on the ‘keyboard’ are active - and often the letters I want are not there. I don’t understand why. Can anyone explain what I’m doing wrong please? I can’t seem to find any detailed instructions for how to use the navigation system. Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
All letters/numbers are there initially but when you type address it matches to the database of addresses and predicts address so excludes letters not in database address. Even though my e-Niro is brand new and a 4 I find the in built sat nav maps are still not accurate. The new A14 in Cambridgeshire isn't on it and wants to take me down old A14 but warns me it's blocked off. It looks like updates are free up to x6 a year but website says you need to visit dealer to update. I find it better to connect Android Auto and use Google Maps or Waze.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I guessed it must be something like this, but when I found another way to locate the address (I think by selecting a point on the map?) the road I was trying to enter into the system came up, so the system did recognise it. I have struggled to enter several local roads that really should be in the database - the roads have been there a long time! When I asked my dealer about how to get map updates, I was told they only happened once every 2-3 years (?!) and I should just ask if there was an update when I take it in for its annual service. I did wonder if this was accurate - if so, it’s clearly not very satisfactory. I think I need to figure out how to get google maps from my phone 😏

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If it’s in the database it should come up. are you searching by town postcode or what?

So on this screen, you can enter the town / city / postcode in the relevant field

As @Chickster says above, it's context sensitive so will only offer you the next letters that are available until there is only one option left at which point it will fill the field

After this you can enter the street/no which is also context sensitive. If you input a postcode it will often default the street relating to that postcode.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Try and fill fields in order as on the screen. Country, city, street. Google maps is easy. You should have it already on your phone? Download Android Auto or Apple Carplay. Plug phone into car using a good quality USB lead into middle USB socket ideally one that came with phone (some have problems with cheap leads). Might start automatically otherwise in menus click on AA or ACP. It mirrors those apps on your phone that can be used and you can voice control using Google or Siri. Lots of videos about this and what the commands are.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I’ve got a wireless charging unit so why would I want to plug my phone in to a bit of wire every time I get in, bit of a hole in their logic on Carplay Etc. I’ve also found Waze a bit buggy, let alone the endless reports of potholes that aren’t there. Google is better I’ll admit. I actually find the Kia Sat Nav pretty good all told though.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,621 Posts
Postcode search was always ropey on my Soul. It was inconsistent on whether you needed spaces or not between parts of a postcode. Some of the satnav units in cars are rubbish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
... it’s clearly not very satisfactory. I think I need to figure out how to get google maps from my phone 😏
This is by far the e-niro's worst feature... it's basically useless and even the interface is pretty awkward. However, I guess it's not just an e-niro problem, all Kia drivers are stuck with this.

Figure out how to connect Google Maps through Android Auto (I've programmed the ✴ button for this) . It's far superior to the Kia navigation. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is by far the e-niro's worst feature... it's basically useless and even the interface is pretty awkward. However, I guess it's not just an e-niro problem, all Kia drivers are stuck with this.

Figure out how to connect Google Maps through Android Auto (I've programmed the ✴ button for this) . It's far superior to the Kia navigation. :)
All cars suffer from this, really. SatNavs were a great feature 5-10 years ago but now they just aren't necessary. I'd much prefer the manufacturers ditched them and lowered prices to be honest, or at the very least actually used Google Maps instead of whatever sub-standard interfaces and map systems they use now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’ve got a wireless charging unit so why would I want to plug my phone in to a bit of wire every time I get in, bit of a hole in their logic on Carplay Etc. I’ve also found Waze a bit buggy, let alone the endless reports of potholes that aren’t there. Google is better I’ll admit. I actually find the Kia Sat Nav pretty good all told though.
I’m surprised and disappointed to hear this. Why isn’t it using CarPlay wirelessly? Like you said it’s pointless having wireless QI charging mat if you then have to connect a stupid USB wire every time.

Also, I wonder what the phones GPS reception would be like whilst it’s in the charging mat location. It looks like it might not be great tucked away in the dashboard.

Does even the 2021 4+ not have wireless CarPlay?

Peter

·
Registered
10 Posts
(Note: I don't currently have my e-niro 4, it's on order)

I'm an android user so can't speak for car play but there are very few (if any) cars that support wireless android auto off the shelf as you need a WiFi connection with the car instead of using the USB cable.

I've driven plenty of cars over the last year including the Niro Hybrid and stowing the phone away on the wireless charging map has had no impact on reception.

Agree that it renders the wireless charging as redundant if you're using android auto/car play. If you had a passenger who wanted to make use of it you could always use a longer USB and stow the navigation phone under the drive selector.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’m surprised and disappointed to hear this. Why isn’t it using CarPlay wirelessly? Like you said it’s pointless having wireless QI charging mat if you then have to connect a stupid USB wire every time.

Also, I wonder what the phones GPS reception would be like whilst it’s in the charging mat location. It looks like it might not be great tucked away in the dashboard.

Does even the 2021 4+ not have wireless CarPlay?

Peter
It's not mentioned in the spec sheet so unlikely. It's definitely very silly to have wireless charging but no wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. They are very new though, particularly wireless Android Auto.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I place my phone on the charging shelf and whether connected by USB or Bluetooth I've not experienced any GPS or 4G signal issues. 🙂

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've found all tomtom based satnavs have very poor address look-ups. Shame because, apart from being out of date, the rest of the guidance is great.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Save £40 a year as google update free and Kia charge.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As I understand it, Bluetooth is used as a dedicated channel for phonecalls, and this is why it's configured in the Google specs for Car play to use a cable

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bluetooth does more than phone calls. I use Google podcast through through the car on bluetooth. Not sure it Spotify works also. Probably the more data hungry apps like maps needs the cable. I have an Ioniq by the way I would have thought the E-niro would be the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure, will do. It’s just arrived in the post, so I’ll review at the weekend.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts