Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if anything can be done to correct this or if I have to bite the bullet and talk to nissan
But today I decided to change the CD I had been playing and on pressing "tilt/open" it struggled to open without help
I remember I've only opened the system once before and I had to help it with a finger to get it open
Anyway it opened with help but the CD wouldn't eject??
So giving up thinking I'd have a look later on I tried to close the unit and again it needed a gentle guiding push
This seems to have been enough for my unit and now it won't open at all☹ the CD now says it's not there? And I fear I might have a duff unit and wondered if anyone has any ideas on fixing or replacing without costing a small fortune?
Though I fear Nissan is about to pull my pants down on this if I need to contact them for help😵
Has anyone had similar problems or successfully replaced one of these units?
It's a 2015 leaf 24kw

·
Registered
425 Posts
It'll be a drive belt that is stretched most likely. Without opening one up I would imagine that the tilt mechanism is gear driven and the laser sled and cd loading mechanism will have drive belts.
Tony.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony
Is this an easy thing to have repaired or best to look at replacement units if that's possible??

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,102 Posts
Thanks Tony
Is this an easy thing to have repaired or best to look at replacement units if that's possible??
If it is what he suggests it should be a pretty simple fix once you've got the unit out and opened up. But of course at that point you've already removed it, and if you'd rather just replace it then that's also an option if you can find one cheap somewhere like eBay.

Remember unless you have the Visia or Visia+ trim levels you will have to get the official Nissan unit otherwise you'll lose the use of climate controls, carwings and timers.

You'll have to get a Carwings compatible unit 2015 or earlier, as I believe the 2016+ ConnectEV ones aren't fully compatible with the earlier cars.

Your other option would be to live without the CD player. After all, you wouldn't have one if you bought pretty much any new car today. You could save the hassle and expense by playing your music through Bluetooth, Aux or USB.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is a 2015 24kw tekna model
So it sounds like it's going to be expensive ☹
If I found one similar on flea bay would I need it coded to refit into my car?
It's sounding more and more likely to be a Nissan expensive fix or live without CD
Carwings doesn't work for me as it is
So I don't know what if anything I'm missing there
Would an aftermarket replacement unit still be able to display the front and rear cameras and provide energy usage?
I'm guessing not 😣

·
Registered
425 Posts
If it is what he suggests it should be a pretty simple fix once you've got the unit out and opened up. But of course at that point you've already removed it, and if you'd rather just replace it then that's also an option if you can find one cheap somewhere like eBay.

Remember unless you have the Visia or Visia+ trim levels you will have to get the official Nissan unit otherwise you'll lose the use of climate controls, carwings and timers.

You'll have to get a Carwings compatible unit 2015 or earlier, as I believe the 2016+ ConnectEV ones aren't fully compatible with the earlier cars.

Your other option would be to live without the CD player. After all, you wouldn't have one if you bought pretty much any new car today. You could save the hassle and expense by playing your music through Bluetooth, Aux or USB.
Replacement with an aftermarket unit is not really a viable alternative, no matter what the trim option.
The battery charge levels, charging infrastructure and the canbus system optimisation are all tightly integrated into this unit (someone on here suggested it was a Clarion unit running a highly modified version of Microsoft's CE o/s) so do not even contemplate that.
If you are not conversant with the repair of cd players, it's probably not a good idea to make this project your first attempt. As a tv engineer I was the service manager for Pioneer Electronics in Perth Australia and attended the first video disc training course held outside Japan in Melbourne in the 1980's. That and subsequent years repairing cd players taught me not to mess with anything for which I had no spare parts. As an amateur I think the chances of you stuffing something up to be fairly high.

To sum up, I agree with @80698, leave it alone and transfer your music to USB sticks. What I use are one of those 4 packs of 16gb multicoloured sticks. Depending on my mood, I have a blue one for blues, red for heavy rock, green for classical, yellow for classic rock and orange for my granddaughters stuff.

If the cd that is stuck in the player is something you simply can't live without, buy a new one it will save you tons of heartache.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply
Your probably right and I know as soon as I try to open anything myself I will regret it
I've just been digging through some after sales warranties I bought with the car and it's a possibility that I might have cover on the unit so will be contacting the RAC about it first thing tomorrow
Failing that I'm guessing USB is the way forward and replacing my Peter Gabriel CD ☹

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,120 Posts
I'd think getting out the old CD and switching to USB audio or bluetooth is better than even bothering to repair the CD section.

I'd try parking the car on a steep slope to see if that helps the CD unit open. There's normally a pin hole you can poke a paper clip in to force eject a stuck cd but if it's been in there for ages and never opened it might not be very enthusiastic about letting go.

Have you tried a sledgehammer? :)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
My car is a 2015 24kw tekna model
So it sounds like it's going to be expensive ☹
If I found one similar on flea bay would I need it coded to refit into my car?
It's sounding more and more likely to be a Nissan expensive fix or live without CD
Carwings doesn't work for me as it is
So I don't know what if anything I'm missing there
Would an aftermarket replacement unit still be able to display the front and rear cameras and provide energy usage?
I'm guessing not 😣
Personally I would ignore the faulty CD player - CD players in cars are a hangover from the 1995-2010 era, and as the Leaf was designed at the end of this era it came with one. However nothing you buy new today will have a CD player, and the 40kWh Leaf released in 2018 does not have one either.

As mentioned you can play music from a memory stick plugged into the USB socket in front of the cup holders, also bluetooth or USB cable to your phone. I tend to stream using my phone or listen to the radio so no need for CD's for me even though my player presumably works. (Haven't tried it!)

Regarding Carwings - when you say it doesn't work, what do you mean ? Have you tried to add the car's VIN into your You+Nissan account ?

It will either work, or tell you the car is already attached to another account. (Previous owner)

In my case the car was still added to the previous owners account - I contacted Nissan support by Phone and Email and eventually was asked to email a copy of my drivers license and the new V5C to show I was the new owner and they added the car to my account for me. Took about a week but it was worth it as I find being able to check the charge level remotely and start remote climate control quite useful.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have tried all you suggest and been in email contact with nissan who also couldn't do anything to get it working
Though the last time I tried was during the long lockdown
Maybe if I take the car to a nissan garage they could sort it as the email help I got wasn't much help ☹

·
Registered
425 Posts
Do what I did I looked at the V5C got the name and address of the previous owner looked him up on Facebook and cheekily contacted him. He was very helpful and took his login off for me cancelled his
account and it all went well from then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts