Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard anything about when EuroNCAP will be testing the 4?

Assuming the insurance industry needs the results to set risk and rates.

My SR’s due in a couple of weeks so hoping to get quotes in soonest. Always works out more expensive getting them last minute.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Expectation is 5* as all flavours have the safety stuff that NCAP require nowadays.

Insurance industry doesn't need an NCAP rating (some cars don't have one such as MG5 - it wasn't tested as it couldn't get better than 3* due to lack of electronic safety bobbins) - they set rates on multiple factors including vehicle cost and type, performance, how expensive repairs are likely to be, and security/saftey equipment.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Expectation is 5* as all flavours have the safety stuff that NCAP require nowadays.

Insurance industry doesn't need an NCAP rating (some cars don't have one such as MG5 - it wasn't tested as it couldn't get better than 3* due to lack of electronic safety bobbins) - they set rates on multiple factors including vehicle cost and type, performance, how expensive repairs are likely to be, and security/saftey equipment.
NCAP seems to be obsessed with beeps! I remember an Alfa being downgraded because NCAP didn't think the seatbelt warning beep was loud enough!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,885 Posts
Yep. Saw that. Just under 3 weeks until delivery starts be great if it was added to the insurance/comparison websites as 3 weeks is about the optimum time to get the cheapest quote. Any closer to cover-start date and it can get quite a lot more expensive.
Just tried LV as an example. They don't list the 4 yet.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
it wasn't tested as it couldn't get better than 3* due to lack of electronic safety bobbins
What were the safety bobbins missing on the MG5? It has all the lane keep assist, emergency brake assist, hill assist, ACC, and even the AEB reverse.

I can see the first gen MG ZS EV was tested in 2019 the original got 5 star

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,885 Posts
What were the safety bobbins missing on the MG5? It has all the lane keep assist, emergency brake assist, hill assist, ACC, and even the AEB reverse.

I can see the first gen MG ZS EV was tested in 2019 the original got 5 star

View attachment 166393
Remember that NCAP move the goalposts every couple of years. That's why a 2012 Zoe scored 5 ⭐ and a 2021 Zoe got nowt!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remember that NCAP move the goalposts every couple of years. That's why a 2012 Zoe scored 5 ⭐ and a 2021 Zoe got nowt!
Exactly. Whilst given the efforts SAIC have made with the design and launch of the 4 it’s not likely they’ll have overlooked crash testing, I don’t think a 5 Star result should be assumed as a gimme.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It has all the stuff though to pass with five star though even the latest AEB where it prevents running people over when reversing etc 🤷‍♂️ genuinely curious to know what bobbins 😅

Zoe got zero because it recycled a ten year design without adding in modern safety and removing things like side impact airbags to save on costs

·
Registered
92 Posts
It has all the stuff though to pass with five star though even the latest AEB where it prevents running people over when reversing etc 🤷‍♂️ genuinely curious to know what bobbins 😅

Zoe got zero because it recycled a ten year design without adding in modern safety and removing things like side impact airbags to save on costs
@phil-ev Just fitting the latest driver assistance tech is one part of the equation. How well it actually works in the real world is another story and the effectiveness can vary from model to model.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
@phil-ev Just fitting the latest driver assistance tech is one part of the equation. How well it actually works in the real world is another story and the effectiveness can vary from model to model.
That is true having the equipment and testing are two different things.

Well from personal experience the AEB saved my bacon one week after taking the lease with a car pulling into a main road without looking. The AAC and lane keep is decent on motorway. In town I wouldn't bother with lane keep, it's not anywhere near Tesla standard when given multiple line markings/routes. Reversing has stopped me twice from making a potentially silly move in the year or so I've had it.

I've no doubt it would have passed with flying colours back in 19/2020

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
MG5 didn't have AEB etc when it was first released here, and I don't think it had rear seatbelt pre-tensioners either.

MG Pilot (with AEB/LKA and so forth) didn't arrive until the LR was released iirc.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
MG5 didn't have AEB etc when it was first released here, and I don't think it had rear seatbelt pre-tensioners either.

MG Pilot (with AEB/LKA and so forth) didn't arrive until the LR was released iirc.
I've just had a look and you're completely right the first standard range didn't have any of the safety tech. 🫣

So the standard would have probably got 3 star. I guess they couldn't have done two different tests.

Also new on the long range model is the addition of MG’s MG Pilot Driver Assistance System. MG Pilot is a comprehensive suite of driver assist technologies that complements the driver and gives added confidence on the road.
In addition, MG5 EV also gets MG’s clever rotary gear selector, which debuted on the brand’s MG ZS EV. It’s also packed with active and passive safety systems, with front, side and curtain airbags, electronic brake assist, ABS with EBD, twin ISOFIX points in the rear, a tyre pressure monitoring system, Hill Start Assist and seatbelt warnings for front and rear passengers.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So according to the 4 Facebook group, insurance groups are between 27 and 29 depending on model.

ID3 is between 18 and 26
Born between 21 and 28

Any number of factors will have geared the ratings but still seems high compared to substantially more expensive competitors.
🤔

1 - 20 of 46 Posts