Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ideally I wouldn't attempt the m6 on a bank holiday Friday, but me and mr Eric are off on our holibobs so M6 it is. What I crucially forgot was that Mr Erics VW Arteon is NOT an EV and as some dick pulled out in front of me, it has no eco mode and lifting foot off the accelerator does nothing to slow the car on a downhill 馃槼 there is also this thing called a gearbox (shift stick) and a brake pedal. Think I need new trousers馃槉

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
I find gearboxes particularly vexing these days, no idea how I put up with them all these years.
I kept forgetting gears last time I had to drive ICE. The kids thought it was hilarious when I swore at the "stinky pile of junk" because "it's never in the right effing gear"
Kept stalling mine yesterday.

Modern ICEs don鈥檛 like it when you roll up to a stop light in 6th gear.

Registered
Let a friend of mine drive my Ioniq today, first Ev ever for him, was fun watching his left hand waving around in the air like a conductor as we slowed for junctions! Mind you, I do this in my Ampera as that lacks the brilliantly nice regen-control paddles! :)

Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
I still get the odd moment of ghost gear-shift hand/foot especially at roundabouts after a long stretch on a motorway or dual carriageway. Still try and turn it off with an invisible key too sometimes 馃檮
Hope you survived your journey @Middlewife - we did the Penrith to Manc section yesterday and it looked a little busy going north 馃槵

Super Moderator
I still get the odd moment of ghost gear-shift hand/foot especially at roundabouts after a long stretch on a motorway or dual carriageway. Still try and turn it off with an invisible key too sometimes 馃檮
Hope you survived your journey @Middlewife - we did the Penrith to Manc section yesterday and it looked a little busy going north 馃槵
I jump out of EV's into work vans on a daily basis and 99% of the time I just get it straight away..... Would still rather have the EV for drivability though...

Registered
My wife鈥檚 never learned to drive my Leaf, or the Prius before that, and I鈥檝e forgotten how to drive her Fiat ICE.

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
I jump out of EV's into work vans on a daily basis and 99% of the time I just get it straight away..... Would still rather have the EV for drivability though...
It鈥檚 fine if you keep your hand in.

I drive an ICE maybe once a month normally. But I鈥檝e been getting an education in the Series 3 diesel Landrover recently鈥

Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 2014
I had the same with a Toyota Corolla we hired for a long journey - it sort-of has a 'B' mode but it's not good. That and trying to nip out at roundabouts and wondering where the power had gone!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankyou, now stuck on the M74 into Glasgow, heading for oban, eventually....

Registered
My old ICE car required foot on clutch and brake to start so still go for a pedal with left when starting.
The start / stop is on the opposite side but this only gets me when I switch off.
Still get confused whether I've switched off as the radio doesn't turn off until driver's door is opened.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts