Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I am very close to pulling the trigger on a nearly new Ioniq 38kwh. If you see my other threads on here I have gone back and forth on what to buy initially I was considering a VAG PHEV but did not fancy the possible repair costs. I have looked at Leafs, Zoes, i3, eGolfs but when all is said and done the Hyundai makes total sense given the range, build and equipment levels. I have looked at 28Kwh and these are still on the list but I think the 38Kwh is for me. I going to buy the car with a loan at low APR, keep it for a few years then sell on. It seems like this level with not depreciate like a stone but correct me if I am wrong. Anything I should look out for on these? I have watched enough videos and read enough reviews to get my head around the car I think. In an ideal world I would look at Tesla but realistically that is never happening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi from a kona 64 owner.
I would have gone for the Ioniq in a heartbeat if the 64 pack had been available as I need the extra range.
The only thing to really be aware of in the 38 is that the pack works at a lower voltage than either the 64 or older 28 which can make rapid charging a lot slower, see Bjorn Nyland YouTube channel . If the slower charging is not an issue to your circumstances then I would say go for it as you will love the efficiency which will wipe the floor with everything up to and almost including the latest M3.
Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
It's possible there's a battery swap due on some Ioniq 38s built between May 2 2019 & Nov 30 2019. We don't know the VINs affected, or how many UK Ioniqs are affected. Seems to be total silence from Hyundai UK! USA has already started their process of fixing the 2 Ioniqs affected there, plus 4,694 Konas that use the same battery chemistry & mfr. So you might want to go for one made in mid 2020 or newer!

And yes, Rapid charging is probably the least Rapid there is! 50 kW up to 50% SOC, then a sharp drop to about 33 kW, then another drop around 66% SOC. The 28 kWh does more like 65 kW to 70% SOC, so would be quicker London to Edinburgh I think!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
I must admit I have not looked at the Kona but I have heard very good things. This past week I must have spent hours on forums, autotrader and youtube from what I can work out I personally think that Hyundai and Kia are the best of the bunch at the moment - Tesla aside. Everything else had issues which I could not live with, however I do accept that it is very personal. Waiting for a call back today so will keep updating this thread

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's possible there's a battery swap due on some Ioniq 38s built between May 2 2019 & Nov 30 2019. We don't know the VINs affected, or how many UK Ioniqs are affected. Seems to be total silence from Hyundai UK! USA has already started their process of fixing the 2 Ioniqs affected there, plus 4,694 Konas that use the same battery chemistry & mfr. So you might want to go for one made in mid 2020 or newer!

And yes, Rapid charging is probably the least Rapid there is! 50 kW up to 50% SOC, then a sharp drop to about 33 kW, then another drop around 66% SOC. The 28 kWh does more like 65 kW to 70% SOC, so would be quicker London to Edinburgh I think!
Thanks that is good to know

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,152 Posts
You may be understandably reluctant to pay the month’s cost, but it could be worth considering trying an Ioniq 38 from Onto for 1 month before committing and actually buying one.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have watched enough videos and read enough reviews to get my head around the car I think. In an ideal world I would look at Tesla but realistically that is never happening.
As always with a thread like this, some basic information about your use-case for the vehicle is a lot more help than asking very generic questions. I know you've said look at your other threads, but realistically people aren't going to go hunting for information in order to help you out.

Offering information like your average annual mileage, how many long trips you do ( a long trip would be something that the car can't manage in a single charge in any weather), what sort of features and functions do you need/want and you get get some confirmation if they work well or exist at all. Other things like do you need a roof rack, or to tow something, will you be using it to go on holiday abroad, or camping trips etc.

Giving this sort of information will likely net you a great deal of useful information that will help you make a good decision.

For what it is worth, love my Ioniq 38kWh, probably one of the best cars I have ever had and it'll be hard to replace when the time comes. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As always with a thread like this, some basic information about your use-case for the vehicle is a lot more help than asking very generic questions. I know you've said look at your other threads, but realistically people aren't going to go hunting for information in order to help you out.

Offering information like your average annual mileage, how many long trips you do ( a long trip would be something that the car can't manage in a single charge in any weather), what sort of features and functions do you need/want and you get get some confirmation if they work well or exist at all. Other things like do you need a roof rack, or to tow something, will you be using it to go on holiday abroad, or camping trips etc.

Giving this sort of information will likely net you a great deal of useful information that will help you make a good decision.

For what it is worth, love my Ioniq 38kWh, probably one of the best cars I have ever had and it'll be hard to replace when the time comes. :)
My apologies. The car has to fit into everyday driving short journeys up to a max of 80miles/day and occasional (less than 5/yr) 450+ mile journeys which yes is way beyond the reported range. I need an easy car to drive, gadgets to help this such as adaptive cruise control are very useful. The car needs a reliable range estimate which these seem to have and I need it to be reliable. It has to be reasonably priced which the Ioniq is (on the lease deal I have found) to make sense financially. It has to fit a small family with room for luggage. I am not bothered about looks or how fast it goes - that makes no sense to me. So with all of these added together the Ioniq makes perfect sense. From what I can tell:

Good Points
Decent range
High spec
Reasonable price
Refined
Decent size for a small family

Bad Points:
Issues with battery recalls
Not as rapid charging as the previous model
Looks
Despite the above still pricey for the average family

To answer your questions directly, no need for roof rack or to tow, maybe abroad - who knows what will happen there. I think I have researched the car enough and hopefully this is the one for me.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I'd have to say the Ioniq 28 probably fits better than the 38. No issues with battery recalls at all, no expensive battery fluid change at 4 yr service, and charges at around 65 kW up to I think 70% SOC, and cheaper. So on that 450 mile trip it may well be faster than the 38? Have a play with abetterrouteplanner.com & switch between the two to compare.

The yellow 38 kWh line on this chart has been adjusted to show comparable kWh amounts. SOC refers to the 28's SOC. So if all you have are 50 kW Rapids, there's not a lot between them for rate of storing kWh into the battery. But if there are 100 kW Rapids, you can see the 28 can stash the kWh noticeably faster up to around 77% SOC. But the 38 does have that extra 40 miles worth of juice beforehand, so it's going to take a trip of 250 miles maybe for the 28 to catch up & overtake on the road?

Reactions: Bill N

·
3,152 Posts
Not sure about how the equipment levels compare, but based on the journey profile, I’d also be inclined to look at at the 28kWh.

Firstly it looks much better than the facelifted car, to my eyes, and... the 28 is a car that’s effectively going to improve over time as more and more >50kW chargers are installed.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The tech in the 38kWh version is much better, and given the less that 5 times per year 450 mile journey I don't think there'll be much in it. In the summer you can easily get 200 miles fully laden (I know this I went camping over last summer to the Lakes and then Scotland), charging speed was a non-issue really even when it was only hitting 36kW, and I was ABC when stopped for anything, its amazing how much a 10 min pee break can add in range with such an efficient car, 6kWh = ~24-34miles depending on conditions and time of year. Yes the 28kWh would add more, but you lose out elsewhere.

Using the example above, subtracting 25% to make it a 450 mile journey, then subtract 25% of the difference between the charging time makes a 34 minutes into less than 25 minutes, and in reality, if the car is being leased (OP mentions this) there will never be enough >50kW chargers added to make a huge difference, so maybe 1 in 4 of the stops would be significantly faster, but the difference would likely be 15-20 minutes maximum minutes.

·
3,152 Posts
OP says planning to buy with a loan and sell on after a few years... so yeah maybe a bit too short to see huge changes in the network in that time.

Probably not much in it either way, and more equipment in 38 may swing it, but a 28 PSE for £16k looks a good buy to me at about £7-8k less than a 38 PSE....and I just reckon the 28 could actually be easier to move on in a few years from now because of that faster charging specification.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It has to be reasonably priced which the Ioniq is (on the lease deal I have found) to make sense financially.
OP says planning to buy with a loan and sell on after a few years... so yeah maybe a bit too short to see huge changes in the network in that time.

Probably not much in it either way, and more equipment in 38 may swing it, but a 28 PSE for £16k looks a good buy to me at about £7-8k less than a 38 PSE....and I just reckon the 28 could actually be easier to move on in a few years from now because of that faster charging specification.
See quote above, leasing.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,881 Posts
As the title says I am very close to pulling the trigger on a nearly new Ioniq 38kwh.
FWIW, that'd be 'nearly owner of nearly new ioniq'?

A 'nearly new owner' I think is someone who steadfastly wishes to refute that they are a 'nearly old owner', and we have quite a lot of those here already, I think! ;)

... For the money, I'd also look to get an Ioniq in preference to anything else right now.

However, I'd worry about those long trips in any EV. It's not the charge rate that'll get you, it's simply a lack of useful chargers, either working/available/occupied. It's the wild west out there. Have you considered an Ioniq PHEV?

Seriously, if you get a Ioniq EV, and why not, I'd look at renting an ICE for those trips. A couple 100 miles, one or maybe two stops, OK, chance it. 450 miles, it will likely take more than a whole day.

Good luck with that one. Maybe soon "owner nearly new ioniq"?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Tough choice! On balance I'd pick the 38, as that extra 40 miles in the tank bumps it up to the magic 200 mile "comfort" feeling for me! And on a long trip, where there might me very few Rapids around, again the extra "reserve" removes a lot of anxiety. If doign a lot of local exploring while staying at some remote cottage, again the extra capacity from an overnight fillup could be useful.

Does the 28 charge domestically at 7kW like the 38? If the 28 has only a 3.3 kW charger built-in, that would be a real minus point for me. Wife's gge phoned to say her car was ready to collect today, so suddenly a 60 mile trip was needed immediately, but only had 45 miles in the tank. So a leisurely 1 hour lunch was my excuse to get 25 miles more in at zero notice, would have been a 2 hour lunch break if charging at only 3.3 kW! And I'd have suffered earache as well, I expect! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW, that'd be 'nearly owner of nearly new ioniq'?

A 'nearly new owner' I think is someone who steadfastly wishes to refute that they are a 'nearly old owner', and we have quite a lot of those here already, I think! ;)

However, I'd worry about those long trips in any EV. It's not the charge rate that'll get you, it's simply a lack of useful chargers, either working/available/occupied. It's the wild west out there. Have you considered an Ioniq PHEV?

Seriously, if you get a Ioniq EV, and why not, I'd look at renting an ICE for those trips. A couple 100 miles, one or maybe two stops, OK, chance it. 450 miles, it will likely take more than a whole day.

Good luck with that one. Maybe soon "owner nearly new ioniq"?
A silly play on words in the thread title sorry about that.

My initial plan was to buy using a personal loan as this often works out cheaper than any finance deal, I have done this several times before and if you are more lucky than clever (although both help) when it is the right time to sell you can have a little equity. This approach comes from being burnt by dealers and the allure of a flashy car in the past. The loan has to be right with low APR and no penalties for early payback, this time around I got lucky with the pandemic reducing the mileage on an already low mileage car - dealer trade in price is still pathetic but I expected that. A major downside of this approach is selling privately and all the nonsense which goes with that.

It was easier with ICE cars, EVs for me anyway are an unknown quantity so I have gone down the lease route. Lost money? Probably but selling these vehicles on could prove trickier for me and in three years or so who knows where the world will be regarding EV ownership.

Thought about a PHEV, decided to take the plunge with an EV also thought about the 28kwh and there are some decent deals out there but the difference in price and risk for me personally means the 38kwh makes more sense - did I also mention that my wife prefers a longer range car.

Servicing and tyres are included in the lease deal, I will miss the expensive battery fluid change at 4 years and hopefully the charge network will look better in three years time.

... For the money, I'd also look to get an Ioniq in preference to anything else right now.
For the money, I totally agree I cannot see anything which fits as well right now.

Thanks for the breakdown on the charging above I appreciate your opinions

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
So many options, but the Ioniq 28 kWh will do
1) 120 miles easily.
2) as many 90 mile hops as you want, I do Bham Sandbach top up, to Carnforth, to Dumfries then onto Ardrossan. About 320 miles.
3) apart from the pollen filter, no other service needs
4) will recharge at up to 66kW and 7kW on AC
5) probably the lowest price option
6) no software issues
7) not aware of 12V battery issues that plague many EV
8) best in class efficiency, non of this 3m/kWh, winter 4.5m/kWh, summer 5.5m/kWh +

Plug in, drive, enjoy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So many options, but the Ioniq 28 kWh will do
1) 120 miles easily.
2) as many 90 mile hops as you want, I do Bham Sandbach top up, to Carnforth, to Dumfries then onto Ardrossan. About 320 miles.
3) apart from the pollen filter, no other service needs
4) will recharge at up to 66kW and 7kW on AC
5) probably the lowest price option
6) no software issues
7) not aware of 12V battery issues that plague many EV
8) best in class efficiency, non of this 3m/kWh, winter 4.5m/kWh, summer 5.5m/kWh +

Plug in, drive, enjoy.
They both seem like very good cars and it has not been an easy choice.

One unknown entity for me is what to expect from Hyundai dealers?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts