Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Sounds good.

With eight state of the art ChargePoint CPE250 high powered chargers, it’s perfectly placed for both local EV drivers and holidaymakers heading for the coast this summer.

The brand new service area provides a range of facilities for drivers to enjoy whilst they recharge at rates of up to 125kW, including a Costa Coffee drive thru and a Co-op supermarket.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Great location. Cost was 35p/kWh. Shop adjacent is very well stocked. There is a toilet inside the shop. Don't know what hours the shop operate.
Agreed. Ideal for a stop on the way to or from the A17 etc. Need more of these around the uk. Fast, decent price and several stations...

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,006 Posts
I used a similar INSTAVOLT 150Kw charger, recently at Basingstoke, sited outside the INSTAVOLT HQ.

The 150Kw chargers are wired in pairs and the maximum charge they can deliver is 70Kw's independently - the charging leads and heads can handle a maximum of 500V and 125W so a total wattage maximum of 62.5Kw's.

So don't expect charging speeds of more than say 58kw's (both CHAdeMO and CCS) - on my 62Kwh LEAF the maximum I achieved was 47.5Kw's delivery but that's the car - the MY2020 LEAF 62Kwh has been now restricted to 50Kw's maximum charging speed and is no longer capable of higher charging speeds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
According to Instavolt, the 8 at Necton are standalone and capable of 125kW. Most of their sites are in pairs power sharing 125kW between the two. According to the spec sheets, in power sharing mode 200A is max power on CCS so 80kW.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Although I didn't need to I charged at Necton last night. Out of the 8 chargers I managed to get the one that would not work. These are not the instavolt we know and love. They now have a full colour screen for no good reason. After successfully connecting to the adjacent unit which just reached I looked at Necton2 and it was called a random number instead, clearly the problem. I rang the helpline to report, the American was clearly unfamiliar with the new style unit, which caused some confusion.

The units state 125 kW shared 62.5 kW max this sounds like nonsense to me. Why share if each one can only take half?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
...The units state 125 kW shared 62.5 kW max this sounds like nonsense to me. Why share if each one can only take half?
I was under the misapprehension all this time that it meant you get 125kW unless someone else was using the other unit. Could you link to something to explain how they actually work in practise?

·
Registered
2020 Polestar 2
220 Posts
I was under the misapprehension all this time that it meant you get 125kW unless someone else was using the other unit. Could you link to something to explain how they actually work in practise?
I charged there a couple of days ago and got up to 70kW in my e-Niro.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
According to Instavolt, the 8 at Necton are standalone and capable of 125kW. Most of their sites are in pairs power sharing 125kW between the two. According to the spec sheets, in power sharing mode 200A is max power on CCS so 80kW.
That would be if the battery pack nominal voltage was 400V, right? So for the e-Niro 64, with a nominal voltage of 356V, 70kW sounds about right?

What if the battery pack nominal voltage was 800V? How fast would the 125kW Instavolt unit deliver?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess so as 350V x 200A = 70kW. But I would expect Necton to run at the full independent 125kW if they are using power cubes. SoC and battery conditioning may come in to play.

For Taycan, that’s complicated as it has an 800V system and therefore needs to convert to 400V. As standard, the Taycan comes with a 50kW DC to DC converter which takes up to 50kW 400V DC and converts that to 800V DC. To take advantage of anything from 51-150kW, you need to spec the optional 150kW DC to DC converter else you’re stuck at max 50kW on all 400V chargers regardless of output power.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I am only reporting what it says on screen. I suspect you are right. 70 is more than 62.5 right. Something lost in translation?

·
Registered
115 Posts
What3words location is: upon.take.processor
now if instavolt had a location at the A16/A17 intersection, that would really fill in a black hole of rapid charging.
I so agree - not so much for when I leave East Anglia for the North but when I'm coming home on those dark, wet, cold nights... :-(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts