Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Recently I purchased my first plug-in hybrid GTE 2016.

I have my own garage so I can charge it from the wall outlet (240V).

My question is if you can advise an extension cord that is safe for giving me no more than 2 extra meters. I live in Hungary so I need something like in the attached picture.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help!

Adam

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The only problem with using an extension lead is that it can overheat and unknowingly, you could cause an electrical fire. The standard 'granny charger' plug (which for your car will probably have a Euro Schuko connector on it) has a temperature sensor fitted, this is not common to plugs but is often used for EV chargers as it lets the charging box sense the temperature of the plug and shut things down if an overload occurs.

If you do use such an extension lead, I would be careful to make sure it is rated for 10 amps continuous current as that is what the car will draw. Many are not rated for this, especially if coiled up like in your picture!

Always seek the advice of an electrician if there is any doubt. A proper EV charger is a better solution in most cases.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only problem with using an extension lead is that it can overheat and unknowingly, you could cause an electrical fire. The standard 'granny charger' plug (which for your car will probably have a Euro Schuko connector on it) has a temperature sensor fitted, this is not common to plugs but is often used for EV chargers as it lets the charging box sense the temperature of the plug and shut things down if an overload occurs.

If you do use such an extension lead, I would be careful to make sure it is rated for 10 amps continuous current as that is what the car will draw. Many are not rated for this, especially if coiled up like in your picture!

Always seek the advice of an electrician if there is any doubt. A proper EV charger is a better solution in most cases.
Thanks a lot for the extensive explanation! Overheating is my biggest concern as well, I’ll look for an electrician for advice.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,390 Posts
If you plan to only charge overnight, you can set the "Granny Brick" to pull lower amps.
You can also change the in car settings to pull lower amps.

That way if you use an uncoiled heavy duty extension you can then run it at the 230v / 8amps rather than higher, this will reduce the temperature build up.
A Golf GTE pulling max 240v amps takes about 2.5-3hrs to recharge, so 4-5 on reduced amps.
The car display will tell you how long it is going to be.

The owners manual will show you how to change either the granny brick, or in the in-car menu.

If your plan is to drive in the morning, then recharge as quick as possible for lunchtime use then recharge again for evening use etc ..... then the granny brick is not a good option........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you plan to only charge overnight, you can set the "Granny Brick" to pull lower amps.
You can also change the in car settings to pull lower amps.

That way if you use an uncoiled heavy duty extension you can then run it at the 230v / 8amps rather than higher, this will reduce the temperature build up.
A Golf GTE pulling max 240v amps takes about 2.5-3hrs to recharge, so 4-5 on reduced amps.
The car display will tell you how long it is going to be.

The owners manual will show you how to change either the granny brick, or in the in-car menu.

If your plan is to drive in the morning, then recharge as quick as possible for lunchtime use then recharge again for evening use etc ..... then the granny brick is not a good option........
Thank you for your comment! I’m also thinking of lowering the amp (easy to setup on the interface) like I did back in my home town.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As others have said.

Heavy duty cord, shorter the better, and has a good sturdy plug and fully unwound. Also for what it costs, if the plug socket is old, I would fit a new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts