Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my second EV now and it surprises me nobody has yet come up with a unified system for public charging/payment.

I have no less than 12 apps on my phone (covering various charging providers) and 4 RFID cards covering the chargers which don't work with apps!

Wouldn't it be nice to pull up, plug in and tap your ordinary credit/debit card on the reader and pay for your charge? You do it in every shop nowadays with Contactless so why doesn't someone think up a way to just belong to ONE (money) charging company to pay for all your EV charges?

I'm sure it's technically possible.

That company could take payment and then pay the individual providers. I'd be happy to pay a monthly fee for such a service and the convenience of having no apps or RFID cards - and just using my normal Debit card everywhere.

·
Registered
153 Posts
And of course, it's been technically possible for years for the operators to accept each others RFID cards, and even allow their apps to remotely start and stop charging on each other's networks, with usage information flowing into the appropriate billing system.
Has it been done? The only actual case where I've seen it happen properly in the UK is between Allego (Shell Recharge) and New Motion (now owned by Shell). They've only just got it working. It's perfectly common, and mandated in many other european countries.
Contactless payment terminals cost a fair bit to retrofit, and for destination chargers with low turnover, probably won't happen.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Contactless payment terminals cost a fair bit to retrofit, and for destination chargers with low turnover, probably won't happen.
The goverment did consider mandating this using their new powers under the Electric and Automated Vehicles Bill. However, lobbying by the charge companies has stopped it happening for now. There is an expectation they will mandate roaming, so with one subscription you can use any public charge point, which would be an improvement. The hope is this will occur in 2019.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts