Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was told on a site that I could save some money when I get my MG ZS EV by using a commando socket rather then getting a full blown charger.

Could someone explain to me what I need to ask the electrician to do as I am completely clueless about this and its my first EV as well.

Looking to get the Ohme cable to use with it later at some point.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hi,

I was told on a site that I could save some money when I get my MG ZS EV by using a commando socket rather then getting a full blown charger.

Could someone explain to me what I need to ask the electrician to do as I am completely clueless about this and its my first EV as well.

Looking to get the Ohme cable to use with it later at some point.

Thanks in advance
If you tell your electrician you intend to charge your car (presumably at 32A) with the CEE commando socket, he should really be able to sort it from there.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
343 Posts
Be sure to ask the electrician to install a 32a Commando Socket as there are two versions (16a/32a).
The Ohme requires a 32a socket.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Apologies if too much detail, but the CEE socket also has to be a switch interlocked type: it prevents anyone picking their fingers into live terminals.
Might be a good idea to show your electrician the datasheet for the OHME you intend to purchase/ use. In theory you want to ask the electrician if he will notify the DNO ( Its a grey area).

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
You will not be able to use it to charge your car (until you buy the Ohme cable), and you will not receive a OLEV grant for fitting the Commando socket as it is not an EVSE.
Of course if you are an Octopus customer you'll get a discount on the Ohme lead (£199) and maybe be able to afford it earlier.
@freddym probably meant "sticking", but picking is a good analogy.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
You will not be able to use it to charge your car (until you buy the Ohme cable), and you will not receive a OLEV grant for fitting the Commando socket as it is not an EVSE.
Of course if you are an Octopus customer you'll get a discount on the Ohme lead (£199) and maybe be able to afford it earlier.
@freddym probably meant "sticking", but picking is a good analogy.
Yeah, autocorrect strikes again😔

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
The Octopus deal on the Ohme lead is very good. Total cost including getting a dedicated 32A circuit and socket will depend on how strictly you adhere to rules for a charging point and your appetite for less than 100% safety, especially if using it outside.

I almost got one to replace our Type 1 charger, but it would have looked very untidy on side of of our garage (SWMBO would probably have objected). Instead I got an old stock Podpoint Type 2 tethered on a deal any my spark swapped over for me. Everyone here is happy with the look of that one ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts