Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy ATV, there are several options to choose from, I am total newbie to electrical vehicles, hence need some help. Basically I will list the options to choose from with different speqs and need your opinion which is better/faster/more effective and so on. Thanks in advance, not sure if I posted this on the correct sub-forum, mods please move if needed.

Option 1.
4WD
Front motor 72V 1200W
Rear motor 72V 3000W

Option 2.
2WD
Rear motor 60V 5000W

Option 3.
2WD
Rear motor 72V 4000W

Option 4.
4WD
Front motor 60V 2000W
Rear motor 60V 2000W

Let's say that everything else(battery, accessories, look, wheel size, price etc) is literally the same. Which should I choose and why?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,876 Posts
No battery data, no requirement data. What do you need it for, just gunning it in town or what?

5kW is what 8bhp? Is that sufficient?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
No battery data, no requirement data. What do you need it for, just gunning it in town or what?

Agreed.

Is this a working vehicle or just a leisure vehicle?

4WD will be necessary if you're doing off road through wet grass and the like. But if you're running along prepared paths the 2WD will be fine. The lower powers would be fine just for personal transport and some tools, but if you're going to tow a trailer you'll want the higher power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Agreed.

Is this a working vehicle or just a leisure vehicle?

4WD will be necessary if you're doing off road through wet grass and the like. But if you're running along prepared paths the 2WD will be fine. The lower powers would be fine just for personal transport and some tools, but if you're going to tow a trailer you'll want the higher power.
Battery will be lithium 100ah, will be using it as a leisure vehicle driving along mountain roads, in not so good condition, asphalt and gravel. Basically what i dont quite understand is what role Volts and Watts play here. There is very little info that i could find about the topic, is 72V better than 60V, if so then how that does show. Faster speed or acceleration or something else? How does the Watts come into play here is 5000W60V motor straight up better than 4000W72V motor or there are nuances? Some people are saying that 4WD ATV with less than 4000W each motor is pure nonsense, is it better to have 2WD 4000W or 4WD 2000W two motors for performance?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Battery will be lithium 100ah, will be using it as a leisure vehicle driving along mountain roads, in not so good condition, asphalt and gravel.
So 2WD would probably be okay 90% of the time. You may want 4WD if there's likely to be snow but even good tyres should be enough on a 2WD.

Basically what i dont quite understand is what role Volts and Watts play here.
Battery voltage multiplied by Ah will give you kWh. That's how much energy you have stored. The size of the "fuel tank".

Watts, or kW, will be how much power you can use at any moment. The horsepower effectively.

There is very little info that i could find about the topic, is 72V better than 60V, if so then how that does show?
Faster speed or acceleration or something else? How does the Watts come into play here is 5000W60V motor straight up better than 4000W72V motor or there are nuances? Some people are saying that 4WD ATV with less than 4000W each motor is pure nonsense, is it better to have 2WD 4000W or 4WD 2000W two motors for performance?
The power, 2000-4000W, will determine how fast you can go. You may find that a lower power 4WD vehicle is heavier with dual motors and so feels sluggish. It also won't be very fast on the road between trails. A Gator on road can be a bit scary when you can't go very fast...

Hi voltage motor/battery will mean more power if the amps available are the same. A bit confusing I know, but the power in Watts should be the simplest way of comparing the different motors.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,876 Posts
My understanding is that it is the normal difference between 2WD and 4WD. Maybe, I'm missing something here, so someone else will help.

And for a moment forget about the Volts. 1kW = 1000W = 1.34hp. So, your Watt figure is your power. Need to multiply it by 1.34 (for kW or 0.00134 for W) to get equivalent horse power. 5000W is equivalent of 6.7hp.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Option 1 without a doubt - more rear end power, but with some front power to pull you out of total rear end breakout. Higher voltages give lower amps at the same kw, so thinner lighter cabling needed. In theory anyway !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts