Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Request to any 2019-2020 KIA Soul EV owner with access to a voltage measurement instrument.

I am working for a system supplier to Hyundai/Kia motors and have a need to quickly establish the voltage seen on the 12V battery at the stages of wake-up before driving away.

I presume that the resting battery voltage will be in the 12.0 to 12.5V range and will rise to about 14V when the car is ready to drive, because the 12V charging converter will be running after then,

I would be interested to know the trigger condition for when the voltage jumps from the ~12V range to the ~14V range.

Is it : 1) When the car is climatized and or charging.
2) When the car is unlocked.
3) When the car is put into the accessory mode (not ready to drive).
4) When the car is put into the ready to drive mode.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
379 Posts
Request to any 2019-2020 KIA Soul EV owner with access to a voltage measurement instrument.

I am working for a system supplier to Hyundai/Kia motors and have a need to quickly establish the voltage seen on the 12V battery at the stages of wake-up before driving away.

I presume that the resting battery voltage will be in the 12.0 to 12.5V range and will rise to about 14V when the car is ready to drive, because the 12V charging converter will be running after then,

I would be interested to know the trigger condition for when the voltage jumps from the ~12V range to the ~14V range.

You don't seem to be having any luck from 2019-2020 owners. I have a 2018 model (30 kWh) and I can tell you that the dc-dc converter only comes on line when the car is in ready-to-drive mode. How do I know? I tried to get the propulsion battery to charge the 12v battery in accessory mode. It didn't - it just ran the 12V down to near-zero. The manual warns you not to have the sound system on in accessory mode for that reason, So does the car.

I don't see the 19-20 being different..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't seem to be having any luck from 2019-2020 owners. I have a 2018 model (30 kWh) and I can tell you that the dc-dc converter only comes on line when the car is in ready-to-drive mode. How do I know? I tried to get the propulsion battery to charge the 12v battery in accessory mode. It didn't - it just ran the 12V down to near-zero. The manual warns you not to have the sound system on in accessory mode for that reason, So does the car.

I don't see the 19-20 being different..
Thanks for the info..

·
Registered
6,901 Posts

The main battery contactors need to be closed to enable the DC to DC converter to be live and charging the battery. Imagine the wear on the contactor if this happened every time the car was unlocked😗

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,885 Posts
I haven't seen any Soul EV owners with that detailed information, I'm afraid.

But assuming that the eNiro is the same, maybe you can use the other thread:

Also, recently I found this video from another eNiro owner (it is posted in that same thread):

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts

1 yes
2 no
3 no
4 yes

·
Registered
754 Posts
The main battery contactors need to be closed to enable the DC to DC converter to be live and charging the battery. Imagine the wear on the contactor if this happened every time the car was unlocked😗
Interestingly Zoes close the main contactors and turn on the dc-dc converter when the drivers door is opened! It wakes the car up, the dash comes on and its semi-alive from that point. Preheat also brings it on as well as the usually running or charging modes. Interesting that Renault chose this route - not sure why but thats what it does! It stays on until about 10 minutes after you close the door, even if you lock the car its still at least partly "on" with the dc-dc active, and then shuts down after you've gone....

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts