Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad day ?. On the way to the BMW dealership to get my winter wheels fitted a small stone hit the windscreen. Chipped and small crack. Immediately got appointment at Autoglass to try chip repair unfortunately when the vacuum was applied the crack ran. So I need a new windscreen ?. Anyway Autoglass say they can do it and the chaps at the centre have done 3x i3’s in last few months but I have seen the horror stories of windscreen companies messing things up. My car has the camera system the BMW Advance Eye etc so plenty of stuff that will need re-calibrating and re-fitting. Any recommendations or tips or things I need to make them aware of when it is fitted to avoid issues? So annoying only had car a month ?‍♂

·
Registered
505 Posts
You probably know the story of my wife’s S. I posted it here recently. I’d try and talk your insurer into letting BMW do it. If not, let Autoglass get on with it. They know how to do it, but they do warn bits might get broken. What I can say is they go out of their way to resolve matters quickly and easily. Just don’t let Autoglass fix what they break.

The main problem is removal and proper replacement of the A pillar covers and the plastics beneath. If they break, they break.

If once the job’s complete the covers feel loose,Call Autoglass customer service, log the issues and insist BMW do the repairs on the basis Autoglass fiddling with anything other than the screen might invalidate the manufacturer new car warranty. Following my initial phone call I insisted everything was emailed.

To be fair to Autoglass their fitters reported back the breakages on the day and that started the process. My insistence it was fixed by BMW led to Autoglass admitting liability immediately, and once my wife had taken her S to Sytner Leicester for the repair estimate (to include courtesy car), Autoglass liaised directly with Sytner and settled the bill direct and with no fuss....All £3k off of it.

Sytner said this happens often with screen fitters and the i3.

Things go wrong. It’s how they’re sorted that counts and Autoglass really owned the problem throughout which was an enormous relief.

Just to prove how fragile those covers are, Sytner broke one of them when refitting it!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You probably know the story of my wife’s S. I posted it here recently. I’d try and talk your insurer into letting BMW do it. If not, let Autoglass get on with it. They know how to do it, but they do warn bits might get broken. What I can say is they go out of their way to resolve matters quickly and easily. Just don’t let Autoglass fix what they break.

The main problem is removal and proper replacement of the A pillar covers and the plastics beneath. If they break, they break.

If once the job’s complete the covers feel loose,Call Autoglass customer service, log the issues and insist BMW do the repairs on the basis Autoglass fiddling with anything other than the screen might invalidate the manufacturer new car warranty. Following my initial phone call I insisted everything was emailed.

To be fair to Autoglass their fitters reported back the breakages on the day and that started the process. My insistence it was fixed by BMW led to Autoglass admitting liability immediately, and once my wife had taken her S to Sytner Leicester for the repair estimate (to include courtesy car), Autoglass liaised directly with Sytner and settled the bill direct and with no fuss....All £3k off of it.

Sytner said this happens often with screen fitters and the i3.

Things go wrong. It’s how they’re sorted that counts and Autoglass really owned the problem throughout which was an enormous relief.

Just to prove how fragile those covers are, Sytner broke one of them when refitting it!
Many thanks appreciated, I guess Autoglass are the best I will get. It seems I will need to check everything however.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts