Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
119 Posts
They look like rapids as well. I can kind of understand turning the destination chargers off at peak time to change behaviours but a rapid is only needed when you NEED to charge.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
The thing that concerns me is these are Chargepoint operated rapids. Chargepoint also operates Instavolt in the UK. If they start shutting down Instavolt units every afternoon that really isn't going to go down too well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maximising their profits?
In the UK we often have a demand dip between 2-4pm but plenty of solar PV generation, so maybe they should add more solar in Ohio!
But in the UK we arent using air conditioning to cool the air down to sub zero temps. The amount of stores that i saw in the US with doors wide open and air con blasting. Sickening waste of energy.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
498 Posts
It's also not routinely as hot here; but yes it's a country that's well known for not really caring about efficiency because energy is cheap. It's just not as plentiful as it used to be.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Flexible pricing could work. If a rapid was 70p / kWh between 15:00 - 19:00 and 30p all other times...
Or indeed all the time...Ionity, I'm looking at you! 😉

Reactions: 80698

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
The thing that concerns me is these are Chargepoint operated rapids. Chargepoint also operates Instavolt in the UK. If they start shutting down Instavolt units every afternoon that really isn't going to go down too well.
Instavolt rapids can use the Chargepoint app, but is Instavolt actually owned and operated by Chargepoint ?

On their website all I can find is

Our technologies
Our technology partner is ChargePoint, the world’s largest electric vehicle charging network.
That could simply mean they have an agreement to be on and accept payment through the Chargepoint app.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I believe it means all the backend stuff is CP and they just pay a bit to use that payment backend system. Makes setup easier for IV as well and offloads any security issues with payments.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I believe it means all the backend stuff is CP and they just pay a bit to use that payment backend system. Makes setup easier for IV as well and offloads any security issues with payments.
That's what I figured. They obviously need to use Chargepoint's back end services to accept payment through the Chargepoint app. (And RFID card - yes there is one available)

However it's not even necessarily the case that normal debit card contactless payments at Instavolt go through Chargepoint - they could be clearing those themselves.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
They are two separate companies. I believe its operated by Chargepoint, but not owned by them.

Chargepoint do have a very small number of posts and rapid chargers that they have full control of in the UK but they are rare.

I use my RFID tag on Instavolt which obviously is billed by Chargepoint. But I believe on the few occasions that I used my credit card that the payment was made to Instavolt. When I've called for support with an Instavolt unit though I've been put through to Chargepoint when calling the number that came up on the screen (and interestingly one of the Instavolts I've used in the past asked me to call an Australian helpline instead)

·
Registered
218 Posts
UK I see this happening 4-7pm at some point. At moment charging on AGILE at home some days would be more than polar rapids!.

·
Registered
593 Posts
US have only get themselves to blame.

Household energy use is insane over there. Over twice the kWh consumption over average European houses.

It hasn't come down like European use has over the last 10 years either.

Yes things are bigger over there but there is so much waste. I have relatives over there, and it is easy to see why.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Maximising their profits?
In the UK we often have a demand dip between 2-4pm but plenty of solar PV generation, so maybe they should add more solar in Ohio!
You are joking right? Lots of beautiful coal and natural gas available. This is the US, remember? What climate change?

• The Utica Shale accounts for almost all of the rapid increase in Ohio's natural gas production, which was more than 30 times higher in 2019 than in 2012.
  • Ohio is the eighth-largest ethanol-producing state in the nation, and its 7 ethanol plants have a production capacity of 680 million gallons per year.
  • Ohio has the seventh-largest crude oil-refining capacity in the nation, and the state's four refineries can process nearly 600,000 barrels of oil per calendar day.
  • Ohio is one of the top 10 coal-consuming states in the nation, and more than three times as much coal is consumed in Ohio than is produced in the state.
  • In 2019, natural gas generated more of Ohio's in-state electricity than coal for the first time. Ohio ranks among the top 10 states generating the most electricity and is among the top 5 states in total electricity demand.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
That sign basically says ‘we don’t want EVs and they’re an irrelevance/annoyance’.

Imagine if they had that sign at Petrol pumps?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts