Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is the platform on the NERO EV?
I an interested in the constraction of the electrical part of the car.

Thanks Giora

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do you mean like, architecture? Its something Kia and Hyundia developed together I think, and so the Hyundai Kona shares a lot of components with the Niro. And the same battery design but different cell suppliers?

And I think the new Kia EV6 is a completely different platform and the e-Niro probably wont continue?

Thats about all I know, sorry.

Here are some specs: Kia e-Niro 64 kWh

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
413 Posts
And I think the new Kia EV6 is a completely different platform and the e-Niro probably wont continue?
The Niro was designed to be ICE, hybrid or full battery EV, so it's a compromise, though it still works well as an EV.
The EV6, like most newer EVs, is a platform designed only for battery power: big rectangular battery for a floor, wheels close to front and rear.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
16 Posts
The Niro EV has the same powertrain as the Kona EV and the Ioniq EV. All three cars have a gas version. The EV6, along with the Ioniq 5, are built on a dedicated EV platform, with no ICE option.

Rumor has it that the Niro will continue to be available for a while, but it's questionable if the EV version will continue since the EV6 is coming. Although they really aren't comparable cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Niro EV has the same powertrain as the Kona EV and the Ioniq EV. All three cars have a gas version. The EV6, along with the Ioniq 5, are built on a dedicated EV platform, with no ICE option.

Rumor has it that the Niro will continue to be available for a while, but it's questionable if the EV version will continue since the EV6 is coming. Although they really aren't comparable cars.
Thanks. So Ioniq 5 and EV6 are the same. what is the name of the base fro the Kona and the EV? I want to understand the technical issues. For example the generator/charger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean like, architecture? Its something Kia and Hyundia developed together I think, and so the Hyundai Kona shares a lot of components with the Niro. And the same battery design but different cell suppliers?

Thats about all I know, sorry.

Here are some specs: Kia e-Niro 64 kWh
So I am looking for the technical diagram, or the name of this base car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So I am looking for the technical diagram, or the name of this base car.
I've never heard a name for it, or seen any diagrams. Its just "The thing they used for Niro and Kona"

64kWh battery
150kW motor
front wheel drive
7kw charging AC
up to 77 kw charging DC
liquid cooled battery
Good efficiency compared to most other EVs, can't find the data right now but the Kona/Niro are usually in the top 5 or top 10

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
16 Posts
Thanks. So Ioniq 5 and EV6 are the same. what is the name of the base for the Kona and the EV? I want to understand the technical issues. For example the generator/charger.
Since I'm in the US, I doubt the specs are the same here and your location. You'll have to investigate your local models.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,745 Posts
I think the OP is looking for something like the E-GMP (Hyundai/Kia platform for Ioniq5/EV6 respectively) and MEB (all VAG EVs) platforms.

I haven't heard of the description like that though for the e-Niro/Kona. According to Wikipedia, it is Hyundai-Kia B-SUV platform.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since I'm in the US, I doubt the specs are the same here and your location. You'll have to investigate your local models.
Do you have the Nero EV? I want to know if for example there is a generator on the wheels. At the garage they say no (but it is only a month they have it), and on the screen you can see that the power flow in from the whells to the battery when you leave your feet from the accelerator.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
413 Posts
No, the "generator" is the motor, the same one that drives the wheels when you accelerate.

·
Registered
721 Posts
A motor and generator are the same thing, just running in opposite directions. One converts electrical energy to kinetic energy, the other the opposite. I suppose the correct term for what is in our EVs is a "motor-generator".

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
16 Posts
Do you have the Nero EV? I want to know if for example there is a generator on the wheels. At the garage they say no (but it is only a month they have it), and on the screen you can see that the power flow in from the whells to the battery when you leave your feet from the accelerator.
I had the PHEV, not the EV. But the electric motor is under the hood, not attached directly to the wheels. It goes through a gearbox to the front wheels. Of course, regen takes the motion of the wheels and acts as a generator to put electricity back into the battery. But that's still the electric motor under the hood that does it all.

·
Registered
226 Posts
All modern EVs do this - Tesla, Nissan Leaf, Niro etc - they call it 'regenerative braking'.

As DragonQ says - an electric motor becomes a generator if you turn it mechanically - the wheels make the 'rotor' bit turn which generates an electric current which is sent back to the battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts